Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
nowinterweather

University Audition Requirements?

As of right now, I'm still a sophomore in high school, but it's never too early...

I was looking over the requirements for auditions at FSU, and this is what they give on their website:

1. Major and minor scales (Segovia edition)
2. right-hand arpeggios
3. knowledge of entire fingerboard
4. adequate musical performance of such standard etudes as those of Aguado, Carcassi, Guiliani; selections from Sor Studies (Segovia edition); performance of minor works by Milan, Bach, Tarrega.

I've been working through the Segovia scales, and I'm assuming right-hand arpeggios is something similar to the Giuliani 120 or some other right-hand exercises I've been doing, so I don't think I'll have a problem with them when it comes time to audition. What I'm afraid of is the "selections from Sor Studies" bit... Will they just hand me a Sor Study and ask me to play it? My sight-reading is passable, but I can't see myself passing that unless I work through them all beforehand. Maybe I just have no idea how the whole thing works...
nowinterweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
XianXiuHong
UG's Classical Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowinterweather
As of right now, I'm still a sophomore in high school, but it's never too early...

I was looking over the requirements for auditions at FSU, and this is what they give on their website:

1. Major and minor scales (Segovia edition)
2. right-hand arpeggios
3. knowledge of entire fingerboard
4. adequate musical performance of such standard etudes as those of Aguado, Carcassi, Guiliani; selections from Sor Studies (Segovia edition); performance of minor works by Milan, Bach, Tarrega.

I've been working through the Segovia scales, and I'm assuming right-hand arpeggios is something similar to the Giuliani 120 or some other right-hand exercises I've been doing, so I don't think I'll have a problem with them when it comes time to audition. What I'm afraid of is the "selections from Sor Studies" bit... Will they just hand me a Sor Study and ask me to play it? My sight-reading is passable, but I can't see myself passing that unless I work through them all beforehand. Maybe I just have no idea how the whole thing works...

Yes, right hand arpeggios would be referencing the Giuliani 120 but there are other right hand studies like the Carlevaro ones too.

What they mean by selection is that you can pick one or two of the Sor Studies from the Segovia edition, prepare it and perform it for them. They probably will give you a sight reading test but it probably won't be anything too difficult.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/XianXiuHong

It's worth it
XianXiuHong is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: