Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Isakale

Adjusting the truss rod on my Taylor?

Hey. I have never done this before, but I want to lower the action on my Taylor. Anything to worry about? I pretty much understand what I'm doing, but is there anything I should watch out for? I don't wanna damage my guitar, so I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. I found online that the way to tell if it is lowered enough is to take a business card and put it between the 6th fret when your holding down the first and the 14th. If it fits under there nicely, I was told that is usually the best adjustment.
Isakale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
stepchildusmc

i find the easiest method of detecting action height is simply sliding a US quarter under the strings at the 12th fret. there should be just a hair of wiggle room. i doubt your new Taylor would benefit from a truss rod adjustment. Taylors are set up almost perfectly from the factory, be it El Cajon or Tijuana.
Only thing my Taylors needed when i got them was someone of obvious talent to utilize them( still working on that one...maybe a help wanted ad?)
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Bikewer

Here we go again.

You do not adjust the action on your guitar by using the truss rod. The truss rod is to counteract the string tension only.
If you go tweaking your truss rod, you might, as a side effect, have some section of the neck with less string height, but it won't be "right".

There are more-or-less standard measurements for setting the string height for an acoustic guitar. These are ballpark figures only....Action is a very individual thing. A hard-picking bluegrass player will need a higher action than will a gentle fingerstyle player.

Go to this site, Frets.com:
And read the "instrument set-up" section. (hell, read the whole thing.. It's a treasure)
You will see the standard measurements for string height at both nut and at the 12th fret.
Then you can compare your own guitar to those figures.

I do not recommend attempting to do the adjustments yourself unless you have some experience and the special tools required. Especially with a nice guitar.
I do it all the time on my cigar-box instruments.... But I'm a hack.

Last edited by Bikewer : 07-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
stepchildusmc

thanks bike. i was thinking of a nice, discreet way to say it but ya know..... sometimes it just needs to be said.
Isakale, hop in your car, head into town and see the guys at Mammoth music on 5th ave. let them look and see what's best for the action adjustment.... they're advice is free.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Isakale

You guys are awesome and super helpful!!! To not confused things, I didn't state this above, but I will now...
Originally when I got the guitar, the setup was great! I had noticed a little bit of sympathetic resonance in some funny chords for a particular song so I took my guitar to the guitar shop (Mammoth Music) and they raised the strings by tightening the truss rod for me. Now that I have finished recording the song with the funny chords that had the bit of sympathetic resonance, I just want to undo when was done on my guitar, but I didn't want to go into the store and be a bother again, asking them to adjust the truss rod, so I wanted to try and put it back to normal myself. Sorta make sense?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
stepchildusmc

i'd bother them again if i were you. if not, i'm by now that there's a GC near you by now. go have them re-adjust it.... although i have far more faith in Mammoth. good people, excellent service. although i confess, i've never shopped there myself. i went there when my friend Bill's band was playing at the Egan center. i was in town for Arctic Warfare training and Bill needed some work on his bass. cool town to meet up with friends in. if you look around you'll see him on the wall somewhere in there.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Isakale

That's awesome!

The only two guitar places in Anchorage are Mammoth, which I agree, has some great and experienced employees, and Fleck's Guitars, which I have had bad experiences with so far.

But I know you know a lot more about this kind of thing than I do, so I guess I'll just bother them again. :P

Thanks again!!!

Rate This Thread: