Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Airfish

PLEASE HELP: Which Gibson PUs are good for coil-splitting?

Hi.

Iīm plannig to buy a LP (or LP style) guitar, with a more hard rock/classic rock/blues rock kind of sound, as an alternative for the gtrs with active PUs that I already own. I have more possible candidates, already discussed them here, so please right now I DONīT NEED ADVICE IN TERMS OF A GUITAR BRAND.

I need advice about one of the candidates of my purchase: the Epiphone LP Custom (inside my budget). I could imagine buying it, but changing the PUs right after the purchase, for original Gibson PUs. And since that Epi has a split-coil feature, I would like to keep it and buy pickups, that could be splitted, not just technically (4-conductors, I know....), but PUs that would also SOUND GOOD in single-coil mode.

I had a Gibson LP Studio (sold it, couldnīt live with the neck dive issue and the satin finish) and I liked the sound of the Burstbucker Pros in it. But I could imagine going one step towards more vintagy sound, but not to much vintagy....

SO PLEASE, GIVE ME A CLUE: WHICH GIBSON PUs WOULD SOUND GOOD BOTH IN HB AND SC MODE?

Thanx a lot in advance for your help!

Last edited by Airfish : 03-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

why only gibson pick ups?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
why only gibson pick ups?

They donīt necesarilly have to be Gibsons.... But I definitely want to go in the direction of what I know and what I like: I like the Burstbuckers, it could be them. If there is st in that direction, but even better, I say why not? The only thing I FOR SURE want to keep is the golden LP-style covers of the PUs. No discussion there. And of course I need 4-conductor PUs that sound good both as HB and SC.... I havenīt heard any Seymours od DiMarzios, but if they have something "LP-style-even-better-than-LP", just tell me about it, please!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
desperatechris
Banned

You seem a bit odd.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
You seem a bit odd.

You have advice for me? Great! Letīs hear it!
You donīt? Then mind your own f**king business, Mr. Desperate!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish

Buy seymoure duncan sh-4(bridge) and 59(neck). They sound good splitt aswell as full humbucker.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish

That's really going to encourage people to help you...
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
sideslick
Teenage Accident

I've got a SD 59 neck and Pearly Gates bridge in my Spalted Maple Tele. Both have incredible range of tones coil-tapped or otherwise.

These pups sound amazing, even while played through my solid-state Fender Champion 110.

The guitar is pretty much a Les Paul that looks like a Telecaster. It sounds a LOT like a LP, but a crap-ton lighter. Don't let the fact that it's a Tele make you think it's a thin-sounding guitar. It's definitely not.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...e_hh/index.html

The pups are stock, and I have no plans to change them. I can get some great rock-tones out of them, and switch to that signature tele-twang with a pull of the tone-pot.

I actually prefer the single-coil sound of these pups instead of the humbucking-sound.

TL;DR

Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck position, Pearly Gates at the bridge.

They rule.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
sideslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Zerath

I got an Gibson es335 Professional with Gibson Zebra Burstbucker 3/2 pickups, and I love them! They have coil-split so I can go from playing some br00tal metal stuff into more proggy chords (the clarity is good when distorted so you can really hear individual notes) and the cleans arevery well balanced.

The coil-split definetly provides a difference in the sound - less bass heavy and more clear tone. I prefer to have them in the standard setup though.

Last edited by Zerath : 03-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Zerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

The SD '59 is pretty good in the bridge position, too.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Can I just add, that lots of buckers split aren't that great anyway. I personally haven't heard one that I thought sounded like a good Single Coil. So I would just use a single coil guitar.

But that's me, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Can I just add, that lots of buckers split aren't that great anyway. I personally haven't heard one that I thought sounded like a good Single Coil. So I would just use a single coil guitar.

But that's me, YMMV.

You are correct my friend. You cant get a real singel coil sound unless you got a real singel coil. In my old Custom 24 i had the SD 59 with split and i could get a singel coil like sound, but nowhere near the real thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
mattrusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil

But that's me, YMMV.

Gotta agree here. I've had a few guitars with coil splitting and I've never thought they really sounded good at all. This includes the SD JB and Jazz; both sounded awful split. I also had a Parker NiteFly M with the DiMarzio Parker Fly pickups, which are great. Those sounded a little better than the SDs when split but still pretty bad. I always got the impression it was more of a gimmick than something people actually use, and I still really feel that way.

Apparently the SD Stag Mag is great for splitting. It was made to be a humbucker that sounded really good split, though. Those are the only thing I would really recommend trying out, but I haven't personally tried them. I think you're probably better off either getting an SSS or HSS guitar to use for blues/rock sounds and using your active pickup guitars for the humbucker sounds, but of course it's up to you.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

you need a fairly high output bucker to sound good as a single, still, there is usually a volume loss.

the set of bareknuckle nailbombs (alnico bridge) sounded good both split or not, but really shined as buckers under high(er) gain uses. cleans not as much. split they sounded good clean though, so it was either high gain bucker or clean split single.

one opinion.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
That's really going to encourage people to help you...

I realize that.... But I just donīt have enough patience for individuals such as Desperatechris....
Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #16
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideslick
I've got a SD 59 neck and Pearly Gates bridge in my Spalted Maple Tele. Both have incredible range of tones coil-tapped or otherwise.

These pups sound amazing, even while played through my solid-state Fender Champion 110.

The guitar is pretty much a Les Paul that looks like a Telecaster. It sounds a LOT like a LP, but a crap-ton lighter. Don't let the fact that it's a Tele make you think it's a thin-sounding guitar. It's definitely not.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...e_hh/index.html

The pups are stock, and I have no plans to change them. I can get some great rock-tones out of them, and switch to that signature tele-twang with a pull of the tone-pot.

I actually prefer the single-coil sound of these pups instead of the humbucking-sound.

TL;DR

Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck position, Pearly Gates at the bridge.

They rule.

Thatīs perfectly possible, dude.... A friend of mine has a rare japanese Tele with buckers (ash or swamp ash, I guess) and it sounded so much better compared to his LP with 57s, that he just sold the LP....
Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #17
Airfish

Thank you all guys, I really appreciate your input!

As for split HBs, not being equally good as SCs.... I know that, one of my current guitars has split-coil feature on the acive HBs (EMG 89R + 91TW) and I can hear itīs not IT.

But I just want that SC sound as an occasional option, thatīs why I donīt want to invest in a HSS or SSS guitar.

I have split-coil actives, OK, they work, not perfect, but they do. And now I want to add a guitar with split-coil passives, more organic, more vintagy, more classic sounds....

Anybody could send me a sound/video clip, or a YT link with some of the recommended PUs? Maybe some of those SDs, that many of you recommend....

Thanx a lot once again, you rule, people!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Spit actives and split passives are quite different. The 'split' actives are not actually split, they simply have two pickups inside them and you're changing which pickup is being used.

With a passive you obivously can't change the pickup. You can just send one coil to ground, leaving you with something that is half the power and now with hum. The tone doesn't even change as much as dual-mode active pickups do, because you're still using the same magnet and the coil is in the same position (in an active they move from side-by-side to stacked on top).

The 'best' split regular passive humbuckers I've heard in terms of giving you a more usable, much clearer sound are, as it so happens, Gibson Burstbuckers. Specifically the #1 and #2. The drawback is their output goes from 'low' to 'so low it barely registers as a signal'.
Second to that would be the Seymour Duncan '59/Custom. The coils aren't matched to begin with so they're basically the Burstbucker tone with more output. Splitting to the stronger 'Custom' half still drops your output a lot, but not as much as you'd notice with other humbuckers. The next step in this direction would be the SD Alternative 8, though that's not such a classic rock tone as a humbucker.

If you can afford it, hit up http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/humbucker.html and buy their 'S-bucker'. One coil is made like a Strat pickup and the other coil (and the pickup overall) is made as a regular humbucker, so you can split it for a 'proper' single coil tone or use it for a classic, airy humbucker sound. It's a better design than the SD Stag Mag, which use Strat construction for both coils, since it keeps a warmer tone in humbucker mode.

Another option to go for would be to stay active. Think they're all about compressed tones for metal? Wrong. They were developed for jazz and if you set your guitar up the right way, active pickups can work very well for classic tones. Buying the EMG 'X' versions of regular pickups gives you more headroom and a slightly lighter sound; placing the pickups further from the strings gives you a clearer tone with less output. An 89XR can give you classic rock and blues tones so long as you position it far enough away from the string and the split mode will give you a healthy single coil sound without murdering the output.
There's also the active EQ systems. An RPC does a damn fine job of shifting a humbucker towards more single coil-like tone.

Lastly, check out some humbucker-sized P-90s or Wide Range pickups. A hum-sized P-90 gives you the power of a classic humbucker with the extra clarity of a single coil design; a hum-sized Wide Range gives you effectively two strong single coils combined to make one extra-hot but also extra-clear humbucker. You can get hum-size Wide Range pickups from a variety of boutique pickup makers and hum-sized P-90s form just about anywhere.

Rate This Thread: