Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
osakamitsu

What key is my song in?

Hello everyone! I really need some help learning how to tell what key my songs are in. From what I can tell by searching it has to do with sharps and flats. The song I am currently trying to figure out has G# D# A# C#. No flats.

Any help on the matter would be incredible.
osakamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
P_Trik

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakamitsu
Hello everyone! I really need some help learning how to tell what key my songs are in. From what I can tell by searching it has to do with sharps and flats. The song I am currently trying to figure out has G# D# A# C#. No flats.

Any help on the matter would be incredible.

sharps appear in this order F C G D A E B (circle of 5ths) so it's likely that F is sharp in this song as well as your listed G, D, A, and C sharps and would be the Key of B major or it's relative minor, G# minor.

The BEST way to tell what key you are in is to take things to the next level and think only of RESOLUTION and MOOD. There is a sound (note) that is central to your song and there is a 'MOOD' (major or minor) Find that note that sounds like HOME.

This study goes much deeper including Modes and more but where to draw the line in this post....

Hope it helps
P_Trik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
osakamitsu

Thank you for the help! But Im confused....

So you say they appear in this order... "F C G D A E B"

So then if I put my sharps in this order I have G D A. But I dont understand how you got F sharp is in this song.

Is it like this? Say my song has D A and E sharps. Everything from the far left F C and G that I did not include are just assumed to be there even if they are not played? But since I didn't list B, it is not?

Also how did you arrive at "Key of B major or it's relative minor, G# minor" from the info given?

As for going by MOOD, that might be difficult for me since I tend to write upbeat songs but using minor scales. I have been told I write happy metal. But I tend to you minor scale I believe... lol

I have the entire song written and finished in guitar pro. It has solo's and all seems to be in one key/scale.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
J2G
UG Member

Quote:

So then if I put my sharps in this order I have G D A. But I dont understand how you got F sharp is in this song.

Is it like this? Say my song has D A and E sharps. Everything from the far left F C and G that I did not include are just assumed to be there even if they are not played? But since I didn't list B, it is not?

Also how did you arrive at "Key of B major or it's relative minor, G# minor" from the info given?

As for going by MOOD, that might be difficult for me since I tend to write upbeat songs but using minor scales. I have been told I write happy metal. But I tend to you minor scale I believe... lol

I have the entire song written and finished in guitar pro. It has solo's and all seems to be in one key/scale.

I'm kinda tipsy off the Crown Royal so I'm gonna keep it short and simple... In order to understand ANY of what he just said, you'd need to know the "Circle of Fifths" because he simply analyzed that since you said the notes are "G# F# A# C#" that the only possible key they could be in are Bmajor and F#major, because those notes are found in those keys. Bmajor (BC#D#EF#G#A#C#), and F#major(F#G#A#BC#D#E#).
Make sense? Probably, probably not, if the latter... learn the circle of fifths. It's easier than you think. & would help you in situations like these.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
J2G
UG Member

Also I'm curious as to what the song sounds like... Upload you playing it or send it to me in a message, I'd listen.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
osakamitsu

Sure I can show it to you. I'm kinda weary about just posting it everywhere since my band is still working on it and we haven't recorded it yet. But I am at work. I work overnights so it would be tomorrow evening. I can show you the guitar pro render of it. Pm me your email and I will email you the mp3 of it.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
P_Trik

Quote:

There are lessons on UG relating to major scales and that would be a great starting place for you. The science of music is a lot like math, you can't do algebra until you know how to multiply and divide, reduce fractions, and understand how to work with negative integers and decimals.

There is no shortcut to getting there, start with the basics and the more you learn, the more you will see all this in the music you learn and write. Sooner or later, you will HEAR it in everything you listen to and create.

How I arrived at B major or G# minor (they are related in that they use the same set of notes and therefore chords as well) is by knowing that the B major scale is: B C# D# E F# G# A# B and that every key that contains sharps has an F# so even though it wasn't included in your list, it PROBABLY exists in your song somewhere because F natural would sound pretty dissonant.

Good luck in your study
P_Trik is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: