Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #4161
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Hey guys, quick question - has anybody ever taken their monitor speakers apart to repair one of them? How easy was it, and what risks are there/how do you discharge capacitor safely if it's a risk at those sizes?

Mine are playing up again, really fed up, don't see point in paying to repair them so wanna try a few things suggested online first, as my warranty ended years ago anyway.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #4162
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Ha, nice find - I love the MD421's on toms (would love three of them for that purpose!). I haven't bought anything in ages because we recently moved to a three-bed house, it was recently Xmas, and I just paid for hotel and flights to Berlin over my gf and my anniversary which set me back £500-ish quid too!

Hence the whole wanting to fix my monitor because KRK customer support is shite and I'm not paying to fix something temporarily if chances are I'll have to upgrade soon anyway when they die again.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #4163
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

One of my KRKs is ****ed up also. It had nin stop use from 2010-2014 but I figured it would go bad already...
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #4164
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
Just picked up a Sennheiser MD421 U5 in good condition & perfect working order for $150 anyone else get any good deals recently?

I bought a May Internal Drum mic set which included an Audix D6, (2) D4s and an SM57, plus all the mounts, for $300

Most of the gear I've bought recently was drum gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #4165
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!

Any one want a homemade talk box?

I'm doing more selling than buying these days...
FireHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #4166
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawk
One of my KRKs is ****ed up also. It had nin stop use from 2010-2014 but I figured it would go bad already...

Just opened the offending article up and the good news is I didn't touch any stored charge anywhere and blow myself up - the bad news is I couldn't see any visible signs of damage to components (bulging/open caps etc.) and don't feel confident enough to start looking for a problem while plugged in and shorting around various components :/ Interestingly, it appears my guess about which speaker it was is correct as one of the caps has a yellow sticker with a handwritten code on it, suggesting it is the replaced one that blew years ago, and there's some similar yellow stickers on the inside of backplate saying QC tested etc. also hinting at being from the repair.

Only thing I can think of is the same cap being damaged below sticker and the sticker has prevented the vent opening up at top and leaking out, or maybe it's the crimp connectors to the PCBs... but if I solder them in place as is recommended on a few sites, if it still doesn't work and I sent them for repair they'd probably say they couldn't remove the board and charge for a new one etc.

Looks like I've got some emails to send before I decide what to do. If they want much for the repair, I might just bite the bullet and start trying out some other monitors... atm I'm interested in checking out Equator D8s and whatever Genelec have in my price range, though whatever I got would have to be on finance if I want a decent upgrade lol.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #4167
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Gah, just hooked everything back up again in case of potential miracles and so far it's been nearly 10 mins and it hasn't cut out yet… what the fuck man, why does electronics have to be so temperamental and mocking?! I mean, short of miraculously knocking something into place without noticing, or the power cables from the amps to the board getting jiggled about and making better contact, I've done nothing whatsoever in terms of repair and yet it's working longer than it last did anyway…

Of course, I'm sure it's gonna cut out again in a minute because that seems to be the way with them, but damn… this is like it's teasing me!

Edit: 20+ mins and still working so far…
Old 02-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #4168
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

^ damn Steve you gotta work with them, get a pair that works

Repairing integrated amps and speakers usually isn't that easy if you don't know your way around electronics, let alone if you don't know how to discharge caps, so I'd simply leave the thing be and get something that works.

And possibly sounds better...
Old 02-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #4169
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, it's now been over three hours so it appears messing with them managed to jiggle the connection somewhere and sort the problem (temporarily, at least) But yeah, I do sort of know how to discharge caps (put a strong electric-tested screwdriver across the terminals, right?) but wasn't sure how strong the voltage/current might be if it went wrong so was a bit apprehensive. Seems to be less risky than I thought though, and I imagine these caps discharge themselves within a day or so being unplugged anyway

Quality of sound aside (as you know, I'm in favour of them vs most other entry level speakers ) I just wish they were better made. Don't have anything major to work on atm other than finishing demos for band's next album, but I do intend to mix the album so gonna have to make sure things are reliable by then!
Old 02-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #4170
MatrixClaw
UG God

Just an FYI to anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but Joey Sturgis is doing a 2-day course (started yesterday) on Creative Live:

https://www.creativelive.com/course...ss-joey-sturgis

If you buy the course ($79 today, $99 after tomorrow), you get Gain Reduction Deluxe for free. The standard version of Gain Reduction is $49 and Deluxe is a paid update for it (it's currently unreleased). So you're basically getting the course for free, and so far there's a pretty good amount of stuff included in the course
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 02-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #4171
thedukewestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
@ matrixclaw - cold air and expidu on my profile were mixed on my rig, i have a set of mackies and a krk sub. the sub sits under my desk and i usually put my foot on it to feel the bass. the thing is they're kinda "ok-ish" mixes but i put way too much effort into them to get ok mixes y'know? i basically ended up testing the mixes on a couple sets of speakers (nice livingroom stereo and several car stereos in addition to 2 sets of headphones i use when recording) and used reference notes from those speakers to adjust different eq properties, i honestly know that my room needs more treatment but i'm kinda torn on how much i should use and i know that super super flat / dead enviroments don't make for great translations either.

and yes, basically i used an auralux room treatment kit (the roominator) and a bunch of lenrd bass traps in the corner (they're not stacked up to the ceiling arc but they need to be)

basically i think i need another roominator kit and more bass traps. i can look at the room and see where frequencies most likely build up and you can hear a drastic eq sweep as you walk around the room while a song is playing. i understand the sound is going to be different in relation to you and the speakers but i mean its any where from so sub heavy its hard to hear the highs to sounding "perfect".... but it's not which is why im here

and yes, if i could make one of those in my house i would in a heartbeat, but i have a feeling i'd have to pull off a oceans 13 style heist to fund its construction.

Do you use reference mixes in your sessions?
thedukewestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #4172
chaosmoon

Thought you guys might find this interesting. I ran a comparison between the Slate Digital VBC FG-Grey emulation of the SL4000 bus compressor and the hardware SL4000 found in the SSL Duality console.

The emulation was modeled slightly different from the original, and in the VBC test I was not able to run the track through the SSL channels, but did on the SSL test. So there are a couple very very minor differences, but it's still a pretty decent test.

Both tracks were normalized to -1 dB peak for volume matching.

Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ballas/sets/slate-vbc-test
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #4173
chaosmoon

Those are also only about 2 dB of gain reduction. I might do the test again and slam the compressors.

Edit: I added two more tracks, labelled slammed. These have about 10dB of gain on them.

Last edited by chaosmoon : 02-11-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #4174
MatrixClaw
UG God

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros are on sale at Adorama for $155 - $35 rebate. Stupid good deal if you're looking for a great pair of cans that are also ridiculously comfortable:

http://www.adorama.com/BDDT990P250....QTg0&kbid=62905

Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #4175
chaosmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros are on sale at Adorama for $155 - $35 rebate. Stupid good deal if you're looking for a great pair of cans that are also ridiculously comfortable:

http://www.adorama.com/BDDT990P250....QTg0&kbid=62905

That's a killer deal. I just bought the closed backs about a month ago.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #4176
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmoon
That's a killer deal. I just bought the closed backs about a month ago.

Indeed. I paid more than that for the 770s I used to have.

Beyerdynamics are so damn comfortable. Love my ATH-M50s as far as sound is concerned, but I could wear the Beyers all day long without fatigue. So excite!
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #4177
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

First single for my band turned out dooooope. Loving the Eleven Rack on bass.

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods!
Facebook
Twitter
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #4178
MrDoubleA

Heyyyyy

So umm,I don't know where to start exactly lol..
I'm a 15 year old dude from Iran,trying to get some people together tostart a groove metal/hard rock/Prog rock band.
Going to meet a cello player tomorrow,hope he'll join,because my band's style needs a cello and a guitar,instead of two guitars (Well I'm a guitarist,have a second handed Ibanez rg1570 (Mirage blue),a Chinese Fender acoustic,CD-60 something.Planning to buy a Cort bass,because can't find a bassist)...
So our main problem is finding a drummer and space for practice.Truth is,I don't think we're gonna find one soon..Hmm well Do you think I can make my own kit with home junk and stuff? I mean I'm also good at beating the *$#@ outta the furniture and can play some joey jordison solos too :3
And also,can I record tracks with a phone and merge them with a program??Studios are expensive AF oh and also my sister sings...for now :/
1.Can I fill in as a temporary drummer for my band records?(We're not gonna lay live anyways..it's illegal...)
2.Is a phone microphone good enough?(Samsung S5)And can I mix/merge tracks by myself?
3.Where can we practice? (Not my home,mom won't let us,not garage,too close to neighbors,we can rent practice rooms but where are we gonna write songs? -_-)

Thank you for reading :3
~MrDoubleA
MrDoubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #4179
MatrixClaw
UG God

Got my DT990s last night and plugged them in. It was like a chorus of angels encapsulating my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
First single for my band turned out dooooope. Loving the Eleven Rack on bass.

Sounds great, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoubleA
Heyyyyy

So umm,I don't know where to start exactly lol..
I'm a 15 year old dude from Iran,trying to get some people together tostart a groove metal/hard rock/Prog rock band.
Going to meet a cello player tomorrow,hope he'll join,because my band's style needs a cello and a guitar,instead of two guitars (Well I'm a guitarist,have a second handed Ibanez rg1570 (Mirage blue),a Chinese Fender acoustic,CD-60 something.Planning to buy a Cort bass,because can't find a bassist)...
So our main problem is finding a drummer and space for practice.Truth is,I don't think we're gonna find one soon..Hmm well Do you think I can make my own kit with home junk and stuff? I mean I'm also good at beating the *$#@ outta the furniture and can play some joey jordison solos too :3
And also,can I record tracks with a phone and merge them with a program??Studios are expensive AF oh and also my sister sings...for now :/
1.Can I fill in as a temporary drummer for my band records?(We're not gonna lay live anyways..it's illegal...)
2.Is a phone microphone good enough?(Samsung S5)And can I mix/merge tracks by myself?
3.Where can we practice? (Not my home,mom won't let us,not garage,too close to neighbors,we can rent practice rooms but where are we gonna write songs? -_-)

Thank you for reading :3
~MrDoubleA

This is pretty cool, I don't mean to be so single-minded, but the way the media delivers information to us from your part of the world, I didn't even realize there was musicians in Iran that were really into this kind of stuff...

1. Look into a software drum program, something like Steven Slate Custom is inexpensive and will allow you to program your own drums. It'll be easier than buying a kit and micing it, learning how to play, etc. and it'll sound a lot better, anyway. For free, you could look up Sennheiser Drum'Mica. It works with the free version of Kontakt Player, which you'll run inside a recording program, like Reaper (which is inexpensive and will work forever on the free trial, until you can afford to buy the license).

2. Not really. I mean, it depends on the quality of recording you're going for, but the microphones on phones aren't really meant to record anything clearly or at a high quality. You'll likely want an interface (read the sticky) that you can plug your guitar and bass directly into the computer to utilize.

3. I don't really know the situation where you're at... if there are practice places available that aren't too expensive, that's an option, but if you were to get an interface, as above, you could plug all your band's instruments into it and practice silently with headphones at home. Just a thought
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #4180
MrDoubleA

Ohh thanks!! ^_^ Well there are a lot of metal lovers that claim to be metalheads here,mostly into metallica as their fav band I don't think they know any other bands xDD
And well..media..never trust media >.> <.<
MrDoubleA is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: