Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
sweetdude3000

Singing voice issue

I am working with a vocal coach and he says my singing has a 'lazy' sound to it. Could anyone give me an idea what this means? I have no problems singing on pitch, according to him, but I am wondering if that lazy sound is due to bad mechanics I have yet to learn or the tone of my voice isn't so great. I asked him if it's a problem with my natural tone or if it's just bad mechanics that I have yet to fix - and I never got a clear cut answer. I can understand not wanting to say something if there is a solution and enough work will correct the problem, but I don't want to be spinning my wheels trying to get better at something that won't happen and wind up paying for months of lessons and lots of practice over the months. With guitar, I find it's much easier for me to see and correct my problems, and I don't have to worry about the tone because I can always change that. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
HotspurJr

It's almost always easier to correct a problem on an instrument than with singing.

I have no idea what he means by sounding lazy. If he can't clearly communicate what he's talking about, then you should seriously consider another teacher. You could post a clip and we could listen and see if we hear it, too.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
jrenkert

The amount of people who are actually tone deaf is miniscule so that affords you some hope. I am a music ed. major student teaching right now and encounter people with pitch issues all the time. I'd take the above advice, but here's an inspirational story:

I was 11ish when I picked up the guitar and started playing and couldn't always tell when things were out of tune. I couldn't really match pitch either and when I did I was an octave down. I also had a magnificently hard time keeping a beat.

10 years later with lots of practice and lessons I have a pretty good ear and can sing in tune. I could tune a guitar by listening to the intervals of the open strings (which is pretty BA in my opinion).

The point: with time and energy, if you aren't tone deaf (sorry if you are man ), you can work your way out of it
Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
sweetdude3000

I know I am not tone deaf per se, otherwise I couldn't play what I have been playing for years or have a strong appreciation for music. I don't think it was a pitch issue as much as something else (although that could be contributing to the problem), but more of an issue with the tone of my voice. It sounds dull, instead of vibrant. I may go ahead and upload a sample, although embarrassing as it is, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to get another objective opinion. Don't worry about being harsh or anything, I am happy with my playing on instruments. I just wanted to be able to sing to add more life if I feel like playing a pop song or something.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Doveri

With me, my natural voice has been a low baritone/middle baritone, but my singing voice is in a high baritone/low tenor range.

So before I learned to sing, I would always have a middle/neutral/lazy tone, just because my natural voice was a lot lower than my singing one.

So maybe you have the same tonal problem I had. Other issues might be either, lack of full breathing, or lack of relaxation in the vocal tract.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
LunaAcoustics

hahaha tell him he has lazy communication skills
the only thing I can think of that would be "lazy", could you not be pronouncing every word correctly? I have a sluring problem ..i think, when i sing. or maybe its how loud or soft you sing. what ever it is since you have good pitch, I wouldnt see why it would matter. there are so many famous vocalist that make their way to being popular because of their personal teckniques that no one else can do. I think you will be fine
LunaAcoustics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
HotspurJr

Maybe he means you're not closing your words? Certainly it could mean that you're not articulating every syllable.

When we sing, we really only sing vowels. A few consonants, sort of, but the emphasis is really on the vowels. So one problem a lot of inexperienced singers have, once they understand how to emphasize their vowels, is skipping the final consonant. Don't do that.

Practice singing super slowly, and make sure you hit every sound correctly. Really aim for the center of your vowel sounds.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
sweetdude3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Maybe he means you're not closing your words? Certainly it could mean that you're not articulating every syllable.

When we sing, we really only sing vowels. A few consonants, sort of, but the emphasis is really on the vowels. So one problem a lot of inexperienced singers have, once they understand how to emphasize their vowels, is skipping the final consonant. Don't do that.

Practice singing super slowly, and make sure you hit every sound correctly. Really aim for the center of your vowel sounds.

I think he is doing a great job, but I think like any good teacher, he is trying to figure out the root of the problem and correcting the fundamentals before throwing out too many things at once. Just wondering if I got a decent singing voice and am still learning how to use it rather than have a naturally bad voice and trying to make something out of nothing. Only time will tell I think.

Good point there. Yea that's what we have been working on..emphasizing the vowels like you said. When we talk, it's different than signing. Also trying to work on lightly carressing the end of the word with a consonant and having the tongue touch the back front teeth. I think I just need to realize that it's going to take a lot of work. lol

Rate This Thread: