Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
mrspag

New to singing... Is there hope?

I've been playing guitar most my life and I recently also sang backup vocals in a band that played out around town. I've been working on some of my own material and I figured I'd give singing a try. I don't have any training and I have some serious doubts about whether I have any real potential. I'm not looking to win American idol, only be able to sing my songs and covers without sending everyone running to the door.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give and some really brutal, honest opinions.

Here the links to 2 cover songs I recorded on GarageBand:

https://soundcloud.com/mrspag/wheels

https://soundcloud.com/mrspag/peaceful-easy-feeling

Last edited by mrspag : 10-16-2013 at 05:49 AM.
mrspag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
AJScott

Just listened to the first song, definitely potential man, you've got a nice tone to your voice, a few pitch issues, but your transitions between notes are fluid.

Mixing wise, please don't put everything to the right side haha, listening through headphones this is a real pain.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Really good for a beginner, you have a nice tone and actually can project quite well (of course this improves with time.) There are a few pitch issues but it's pretty good for the most part.

Go for it man.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Lersch

For someone who claims to have no vocal training, it's really good
I've been taking singing lessons for 2 years and I can say it's not easy. I also have some breathing problems (as a result of a very strong allergy), but I've got much better since I started, so don't worry, you got a lot of potential.
Lersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
HotspurJr

There's something that bugs me. If you had never taken a guitar lesson, and just messed around with it a little, would you ever, in a million years, say, "Here, listen to me play, do I have any potential?" The question is absurd.

Yet your body is just as much an instrument that you have to learn to play as your guitar is. Heck, it might be more of one.

It's absurd to think that you would be anywhere close to your potential without actually learning how to play your instrument, right? In fact, you're probably so far from your potential that there's no way in hell that we could even tell what your potential is.

That being said:

This is really solid for someone with no training. That's not an excuse to not get training, just, if you care about this, go get some training.

The first one is pretty solid. The second is much weaker. You're pretty pitchy and clearly have poor technique. IF this matters to you, get thee to a teacher.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Jes Johnson

There's always hope, brother. I'd say you're off to a good start, but if you really wanna get serious about it, you need to take the next step. You should really find someone that can teach you. You might also consider checking out Ken Tamplin's vocal program. He specializes in rock singing, and his stuff really works.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
mrspag

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
There's something that bugs me. If you had never taken a guitar lesson, and just messed around with it a little, would you ever, in a million years, say, "Here, listen to me play, do I have any potential?" The question is absurd.

Yet your body is just as much an instrument that you have to learn to play as your guitar is. Heck, it might be more of one.

It's absurd to think that you would be anywhere close to your potential without actually learning how to play your instrument, right? In fact, you're probably so far from your potential that there's no way in hell that we could even tell what your potential is.

That being said:

This is really solid for someone with no training. That's not an excuse to not get training, just, if you care about this, go get some training.

The first one is pretty solid. The second is much weaker. You're pretty pitchy and clearly have poor technique. IF this matters to you, get thee to a teacher.

Thanks for the input. I follow what you're saying. I am going to try and find a reputable teacher in my area, as some others have also suggested. I am mainly self taught on the guitar and have spent many years working on technique. I see the value of improvement through better technique. I was hoping like guitar, the singing was something that could be self taught, but I really have know,idea where to start.
mrspag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
GoneGonzo

Just sing more and if you feel like you are not getting part down then try again and again. If it ever hurts stop immediately. If you try it again later and it still hurts stop again. Try to project, try to breath deep, try to have good posture, try to enunciate, sing and sing some more. I am a total newbie here, so I could be mistaken but from what I heard you already sound great, but remember greatness is relative. Enjoy the ride and strive for more.
GoneGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
queenofthenight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGonzo
Just sing more and if you feel like you are not getting part down then try again and again. If it ever hurts stop immediately. If you try it again later and it still hurts stop again.

And remember that there is a difference between fatigue- your body saying that's enough for now- and your vocal cords saying don't DO that dammit.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
voodooenglish

Honestly man I sounded like absolute shit around 2 years ago thought it sounded good in my head but what I was hearing in my head wasn't what the sound coming out of my mouth was.

I got alot of the same old guff off people that if your not born with a good voice you can't be a singer and honestly its complete bullshit

I practised on my singing day after day (if you have a problem where you sound completely different in your head take your singing to the bathroom it echos the sound back quite alot to you so that helps.)

since then the range of what i can do vocal wise and control of pitch and tone has improved immensely and i now sing for a full time band that's doing well. so honestly man practice just like it does with guitar playing can make you have a decent voice.

if you want an example of this in action listen to the earliest door demo think its called go insane or something like that and then listen to crystal ship on there first album there is a complete and utter difference with Morrison voice within those two years. the doors then did record the song again for the album waiting for the sun and the difference is immense in his voice being utterly transformed due to practice

hoped this helped because i was in the exact same position back then and i wish that i had someone say this to me earlier so that i had started singing years ago

edit:
found the links for the doors songs i mentioned

his voice is definitely got potential to it on the early stuff but it just dousn't have that classic jim sound to it yet

Crystal ship

Last edited by voodooenglish : 10-23-2013 at 08:09 PM.
voodooenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Big Bang

I sing like a fukking angel.
Big Bang is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: