Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #5221
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

I believe Chris Davis has officially taken the "most divisive athlete in Baltimore" title away from Joe Flacco.

One third of the fanbase thinks he's a bum with no vision who sucks, another third thinks he's a good power hitter who just, like most power hitters, has a lower average and higher strikeouts because he's more aggressive, and then the last third jumps between the two depending on how he does that night.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #5222
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
9 of the 12 position players on the Giants' active roster have an OPS+ of over 100 and 7 of those 9 are at 120 or above. What I would give for that kind of production right now.

Speaking of which Noah Syndergaard went 3-3 with a HR today so I think we've found our new middle of the order power bat. Also threw 7.1 shutout with 6 K and 0 BB.

Same story with wRC+. Every starter and one bench guy has a wRC+ above 100 with 7 of those 9 having a wRC+ over 120. The team added some speed which is good. The baserunning has been awful the last few years. Now if our starting pitching could get it together there could be something good going.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #5223
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Not surprising since wRC+ and OPS+ are usually pretty similar (wRC+ is actually the better stat to use since it's calculated using wOBA). As a comparison, the Mets have had 18 position players with plate appearances this year. Five of those players have a wRC+ over 100 and two of those five are currently on the DL. Out of the three active players, Granderson and Cuddyer barely qualify at 108 and 102 respectively. OPS+ is just about the same, except Cuddyer drops to 98 and Granderson to 104.

Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 PM   #5224
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Quote:
Not surprising since wRC+ and OPS+ are usually pretty similar (wRC+ is actually the better stat to use since it's calculated using wOBA). As a comparison, the Mets have had 18 position players with plate appearances this year. Five of those players have a wRC+ over 100 and two of those five are currently on the DL. Out of the three active players, Granderson and Cuddyer barely qualify at 108 and 102 respectively. OPS+ is just about the same, except Cuddyer drops to 98 and Granderson to 104.

Does wRC+ also consider stolen bases and CS?
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #5225
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Does wRC+ also consider stolen bases and CS?
Nope, it's calculated from wOBA or wRAA, both of which take into account unintentional walks, HBP, 1B, 2B, 3B, and HR.
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #5226
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Quote:
Nope, it's calculated from wOBA or wRAA, both of which take into account unintentional walks, HBP, 1B, 2B, 3B, and HR.

Hmm. You'd think there'd be a stat that factors in all facets of a player's offensive game.
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #5227
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

Quote:

Speaking of which Noah Syndergaard went 3-3 with a HR today so I think we've found our new middle of the order power bat. Also threw 7.1 shutout with 6 K and 0 BB.

jeez, the Mets can't stop producing pitchers
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #5228
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Hmm. You'd think there'd be a stat that factors in all facets of a player's offensive game.
Fangraphs uses "Off", which is batting runs above average + base running runs above average. Batting runs above average is park adjusted wRAA and base running runs above average is BsR. Also, WAR accounts for base running. Baseball reference actually has oWAR as well, which is just batting and base running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
jeez, the Mets can't stop producing pitchers
This is what Mets fans have been waiting for for the last few years. Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, Montero. deGrom came out of nowhere and has proven to be an excellent addition to the rotation. We also have Steven Matz, a 23 year old LHP in AAA right now with a 1.99 ERA through 63.1 IP.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #5229
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Since I last posted Superdavis, Superdavis has hit three more home runs. So, I shall stagger out the next three Superdavis posts into regular, non-Superdavis posts.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #5230
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Quote:
Fangraphs uses "Off", which is batting runs above average + base running runs above average. Batting runs above average is park adjusted wRAA and base running runs above average is BsR. Also, WAR accounts for base running. Baseball reference actually has oWAR as well, which is just batting and base running.

So Off and oWAR are both cumulative stats rather than averaged stats right?

Also: Holy shit. Brandon Crawford is tied for 3rd in position player WAR in the NL according to baseball reference. Literally Brandon Crawford.

Last edited by TheChaz : Yesterday at 08:43 PM.
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #5231
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Giants beat Shelby Miller and the lolbarves 7-0 tonight. That's the 4th consecutive shutout win the Giants have had at home. Was a 1-0 game until Fredi Gonzales pulled Miller then the Giants score 6 in the 8th. How has he not been fired yet?
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #5232
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
So Off and oWAR are both cumulative stats rather than averaged stats right?
Little from column A, little from column B. Off is batting runs above average + base running runs above average where average is set at 0, so each run above or below 0 is a run above or below average. WAR is compared to a "freely available minor leaguer or AAAA player" as Fangraphs puts it, so that one is probably more of a cumulative stat.

Quote:
Also: Holy shit. Brandon Crawford is tied for 3rd in position player WAR in the NL according to baseball reference. Literally Brandon Crawford.
Pfft, 15th in fWAR. What a bum.
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #5233
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Quote:
Little from column A, little from column B. Off is batting runs above average + base running runs above average where average is set at 0, so each run above or below 0 is a run above or below average. WAR is compared to a "freely available minor leaguer or AAAA player" as Fangraphs puts it, so that one is probably more of a cumulative stat.

Pfft, 15th in fWAR. What a bum.

But Off is summed throughout the season right? So a theoretical player's who produces a perfectly consistent offensive performance every game would have half the Off value at 50 games than they would at 100 correct? So no player is going to have an Off of 30 after 20 games because they won't have made enough plate appearances to "collect" all that Off. In contrast to something like wRC+ where a player could be posting a 150 wRC+ after 10 games because that's a measurement of offensive performance per plate appearance.

I was wondering if there's a stat that tallies a player's total offensive value per plate appearance including baserunning.
Old Today, 10:31 PM   #5234
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Superdavis hits a homerun to tie the game, knocks the winning run to third with a double.

Winning run is knocked in by a walk-off single from his good buddy, J.J. Hardeye, recently returned from Loki's control a DL stint.

inb4 some dweeb complains about mixing marvel and dc

Old Today, 10:49 PM   #5235
ehbacon

god the phillies are so bad

My soundcloud
My tumblr
My twitter