Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
thegreatbuddha

Pups for a hollow-body

Im in the market for some new pickups for an old Guild X series (x-175 or x-150, not sure) and I need some ideas.

Its got a set of Barcus Berry humbuckers but they're a little... lackluster to say the least.

preferably in the $100 range because Im going to have to pay someone to install them.
thegreatbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Well nobody can suggest anything until you give us some idea of the kind of tone you're after, and what you think is wrong with your tone now and which areas you'd like to change. Also, what amp are you using, and if you use any pedals, what/how?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
thegreatbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Well nobody can suggest anything until you give us some idea of the kind of tone you're after, and what you think is wrong with your tone now and which areas you'd like to change. Also, what amp are you using, and if you use any pedals, what/how?

The barcus berry pickups are very quiet and very buzzy, they actually don't sound terrible but they're very noisy. And before you ask, theres no problems in the wiring (the guy who installed them is very skilled at what he does and I had him check everything twice) and its not an issue with signal interference or my amps.

I mainly play folk and dabble in some post-rock.

I play through a lot of amps, Vox DA5, Peavy Vyper 15, a setup with a couple shitty off brand practice amps jerrry-rigged together etc... but the best one I've got it is a Peavy Solo-Series Special 130 although I keep that one at home and I am not at home very often.

I play most often on the Peavey Vypyr 15w and as far as pedals I don't currently use any but Ive got my eye on a Digitech RP-1000

Also, I know its an acoustic in this video but if I could get a similar tone, I'd be pleased as punch

Last edited by thegreatbuddha : 11-24-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
mattrusso

Well, you're never gonna get that type of acoustic sound out of that guitar, period. Sorry, but it's just too different. Also, that guitar is always gonna be pretty noisy, as it is (I believe) fully hollow.

I would suggest some PAF style pickups for a guitar like that. I personally love Kent Armstrong Vintage Humbuckers and Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, but the Seth Lovers are not wax potted, which makes them somewhat noisier than other pickups (it also makes them sound different though, in what I think is a good way). You could also go for some Seymour Duncan Antiquities or Gibson Classic '57s.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
thegreatbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
Well, you're never gonna get that type of acoustic sound out of that guitar, period. Sorry, but it's just too different.

Not period. Ive heard him play with semi-hollows and get a similar sound, I just can't be arsed to find a good enough example on youtube

Quote:
Also, that guitar is always gonna be pretty noisy, as it is (I believe) fully hollow.

Again, I don't think so tim... Ive heard people play hollow bodies with virtually no noise. If I had the foresight to ask those people about their setups I'd be golden but alas I didn't. Also I know with my limited budget I probably wouldn't be able to afford such a setup but saying its always going to be pretty noisy is wrong.

Quote:
I would suggest some PAF style pickups for a guitar like that. I personally love Kent Armstrong Vintage Humbuckers and Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, but the Seth Lovers are not wax potted, which makes them somewhat noisier than other pickups (it also makes them sound different though, in what I think is a good way). You could also go for some Seymour Duncan Antiquities or Gibson Classic '57s.

I will give these suggestions some research though
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

The Tallest Man On Earth is one of my favorites, good call. You can battle noisy pickups with a pedal combination of compression and noise suppressor. Something to keep in mind.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
thegreatbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
The Tallest Man On Earth is one of my favorites, good call. You can battle noisy pickups with a pedal combination of compression and noise suppressor. Something to keep in mind.

I'd rather not have to battle my pickups but Ill keep it in mind.

Also, its always nice to see another TTMOE fan (saw him back in september with Strand of Oaks, both gave phenomenal performances)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
SteveHOC
Used Register

Of course not, but should there come a day...

I missed a great show with him and Bon Iver a couple years back, I've been kicking myself ever since. I'm not a huge Bon Iver fan, though I've heard they put on a good show too.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
JoeFlips
✯✯✯

Humbucker-sized single-coil
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
JoeFlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
thegreatbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlips
Humbucker-sized single-coil

wat?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
SteveHOC
Used Register

GFS makes some PUP's like that on the cheap
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
dannyalcatraz

May I suggest Lace Alumitones? I have a set of 3 single-coil sized ones in a hollowbody that sounds quite nice. My personal experience is that they are extmely clean and transparent in tone, meaning they won't color your sound too much.

Here is a sample of OTHER people demoing the Lace Alumitones in 3 different axes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwN7uZ3nxM&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBL1v7ogRsI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUuZAT3FvVo&sns=em

Note that they come in HB and single-coil size, which sound virtually identical. The size differences are merely for being able to fit in different guitars.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-25-2012 at 12:13 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: