Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
psychosylocibin

trouble with riffs with an initial gallop picking run?

Hey guys,

I have gallop picking down very well when it comes to riffs where there is continuous gallop picking or gallop picking on the same string. (think of intro of disposable heroes by metallica, or boot scraper intro by lamb of god)

however, in situations where the riff starts out with a FAST gallop pick from nothin or a break in playing or the gallop rhymmn switches to another string, its messy the FIRST gallop pick. After the 1st or second one I the feel of where the string is and how my hand moves "locks" and its easier.

Examples of rhythm sectoins where I have troulbe with this:

Rhythm section in "hourglass" after the 1st verse and right before the chorus where the drums/vocals stop and a new guitar starts playing by itself. This riff involves quick switches from different strings right into on gallop riff on the e string. Another one is the break in damage inc right before kirks solo kicks in.

Are there are any techniques to improving this? Slowing the riff down does not seem to help since the issue seems to be that I feel like I have to hit the string at the exact right place in order to nail the galllop pick.

To put it in perspective, if I LOOK at the string where I attack it with a pick while playing the first gallop pick it is a ALOT EASIER.

I guess the most FRUSTRATING part is that sometimes I will "feel" it and the gallop riffs come out perfectly and other times they just fall apart, and I am not sure why.

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
psychosylocibin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosylocibin

Are there are any techniques to improving this? Slowing the riff down does not seem to help since the issue seems to be that I feel like I have to hit the string at the exact right place in order to nail the galllop pick.

My biggest guess is that you havent slowed it down enough. I often have this problem with new students when they say that they have slowed down and practiced it, they have not slowed it down enough. You really need to slow it down to that point where you think it's silly and think "I should practice this faster, cause i can play this".

You could say you need to "re-program" your picking hand for this, since you have been feeding it bad information for transitioning between strings. Slow down to the point where you can't play it inaccurately and practice from there and i promise that the whole learning process will go faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
psychosylocibin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
My biggest guess is that you havent slowed it down enough. I often have this problem with new students when they say that they have slowed down and practiced it, they have not slowed it down enough. You really need to slow it down to that point where you think it's silly and think "I should practice this faster, cause i can play this".

You could say you need to "re-program" your picking hand for this, since you have been feeding it bad information for transitioning between strings. Slow down to the point where you can't play it inaccurately and practice from there and i promise that the whole learning process will go faster.

Now that I think about it I agree - I never really slowed this technique down too much, especially since its only the first gallop run, and I can nail it down tight if it is a continuous gallop run.

One thing though - the reason WHY I have not slowed it down is kinda of catch-22. Maybe you can explain this?

Somedays, I will play this technique perfecty and it will feel very comforable. So I will say to myself "wow, I have it down, I dont need to practice". I will come back a few days or some other time and suddenly I will be terrible at it? the inconsistancy doesnt make sense and I am trying to nail down the root cause. ideas?

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
psychosylocibin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosylocibin
Now that I think about it I agree - I never really slowed this technique down too much, especially since its only the first gallop run, and I can nail it down tight if it is a continuous gallop run.

One thing though - the reason WHY I have not slowed it down is kinda of catch-22. Maybe you can explain this?

Somedays, I will play this technique perfecty and it will feel very comforable. So I will say to myself "wow, I have it down, I dont need to practice". I will come back a few days or some other time and suddenly I will be terrible at it? the inconsistancy doesnt make sense and I am trying to nail down the root cause. ideas?

Hmm, most likely cause i can come to think of is too much tension. If you think about it, you might be able to play something so it sounds perfectly, but does it feel perfect?

What i mean by that, can you play that so well that you would be able to go on forever playing it? People often tense up to get that "little bit of speed" that is needed to get the riff to 100% speed a little faster. But it's not a great idea at all. Tensing up is a really bad way to play. It affects your stamina and technical abilities and you can even hurt yourself.

(Coming from a guy who had a minor strain injury 2 years ago because of tense playing, this resulted in me not being able to play for 3 months. So when i got back i made sure to get everything right from that point, and i havent been playing very tensely since then)

I'd like to see a video of your picking hand when you are doing galloping. This would help me and others see if your tensing up very much or doing anything else to make it harder than it should be for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Stephen Quinn

Its important to keep the picking hand relaxed and free from tension, including the full arm. Its also important to develop a strong recoil in the picking hand. You can improve recoil by practicing a group of upstrokes. Set some time to working on upstrokes. This will greatly improve your downstroke technique because your recoil will be much quicker, which is essential for gallop riffs.
Stephen Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
louis van wyk

Man i had the same problem. I struggled to switch strings while in a gallop or tremolo picking. Later i took everything slower, way slower. I RELAXED my picking arm while playing some of death's tremolo picking riffs at half tempo. Six months later i did at full tempo. Changing strings while galloping and changing strings while trem picking is the same picking movement. Pratice some death riffs at slow tempo. It does wonders to your string switching.
louis van wyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: