Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
krm27

What am I, musically speaking? Guitarist? Composer? Other?

I have to confess I often do not touch a guitar during my "music time," it's all spent on computer programming midi drums or synths or whatever. My technique is weak, and the synths allow me to get the songs ideas down with precision I cannot emulate playing guitar. The downside is my rock songs are now techno songs. Also, while there is greater precision, I do note I can more readily make minor adjustments playing to get into a groove and add embellishments on the fly that is missing with midi / synth programming.

I guess I have two desires -- one, to be a great guitarist, or even a good guitarist, who can pick up the guitar and play with solid technique, timing, etc. But I also have these song ideas I'd like to lay down, in some form, playing with melodies and harmonies, and it's easier to do that with the midi stuff.

I was wondering if great composers are those who are more interested in playing around with musical ideas, the way I do with midi, rather than gaining physical mastery of a particular instrument?

Do musicians kind of fall into two types -- players and composers, or is it all kind of one and the same? Maybe this is a philosophical question with no answer, just wondering if it's a common battle others are waging with themselves.

Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

A musician is someone who plays a musical instrument.

A composer is someone who writes music.

You can be one or the other, neither or both. You can be more of one than the other, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
SuperMissMan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm27
I have to confess I often do not touch a guitar during my "music time," it's all spent on computer programming midi drums or synths or whatever. My technique is weak, and the synths allow me to get the songs ideas down with precision I cannot emulate playing guitar. The downside is my rock songs are now techno songs. Also, while there is greater precision, I do note I can more readily make minor adjustments playing to get into a groove and add embellishments on the fly that is missing with midi / synth programming.

I guess I have two desires -- one, to be a great guitarist, or even a good guitarist, who can pick up the guitar and play with solid technique, timing, etc. But I also have these song ideas I'd like to lay down, in some form, playing with melodies and harmonies, and it's easier to do that with the midi stuff.

I was wondering if great composers are those who are more interested in playing around with musical ideas, the way I do with midi, rather than gaining physical mastery of a particular instrument?

Do musicians kind of fall into two types -- players and composers, or is it all kind of one and the same? Maybe this is a philosophical question with no answer, just wondering if it's a common battle others are waging with themselves.

Ken

Well, if you make your own music, your a musician, or, a composer....if you play the guitar, your a guitarist.
SuperMissMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
TheHydra

Who cares? Do what you want to do.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Tim-Blink182

You are an artist.
Tim-Blink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Sethis

There is no battle unless you create it. But you are right that a mediocre technique can limit your expression. In fact, this is one reason why I like singing for example...it is the only instrument that you can control in such a direct way so you can focus more on the creative part. If you feel you are limited then work on removing these limitations, if not then who cares? That's about it. And techno rock sounds interesting.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Vernon Jines

For the perfect command it is necessary to focus upon one thing either musician or composer but not on both. If you try to do both in one time then there is possibility of mixing up the knowledge and you will not get perfect command.
Vernon Jines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

I asked myself the same question a while back and the answer is quite simple if you alter the question a bit;

what do you get paid for doing?

...me Im a chef.

.....and on occasion a musician in a coverband but mainly a chef.

And for arguments on that statement I just have to say that most everyone prepares a meal 3 times a day at home ....but there isnt a hope in hell that Id be hiring them to stand on my line anytime soon!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Jines
For the perfect command it is necessary to focus upon one thing either musician or composer but not on both. If you try to do both in one time then there is possibility of mixing up the knowledge and you will not get perfect command.

Dude WTF? You clearly don't even know what you are talking about. I would say I'm both a musician and a composer (if a musician is a guy who plays instruments and a composer is a guy who writes songs). I write my own songs and also play them. And I'm sure most musicians are both. If your band writes your own songs and also plays them, they are both musicians and composers. Though I think all composers are musicians. So maybe we should call them instrumentalists/singers and composers or something.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

^ If anything, the two are complimentary. Personally, I would put myself in shoes similar to TS. I write music entirely in GP5 as it just comes more naturally to me. I like to learn the music I compose after. I feel it makes my writing more concise - no need to learn scales and other chords on the instrument if I learn my way round them on Guitar Pro! Not to mention an instrument is called an instrument for a reason...
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
^ If anything, the two are complimentary.

yeah absolutely, there's some overlap for sure. I didn't mean those definitions I posted to be totally black-and-white. Just if you *have to* define what they are, that seems a fairly sensible way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: