Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
RickyThomson

Envelope Filter?

Trying to recreate the sound in the main riff in "no doubt - just a girl". From what i've heard, the guitar is using a DOD FX25 Envelope Filter.

What are some other pedals, that do the same thing which are cheaper and easier to get hold of?
I am thinking auto-wah's, or is an Envelope Filter something completely different?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

That's not an envelope filter, that's a guitar part with a funny sound over it.

The funny sound you could recreate it with an envelope filter plus another funny effect or a distortion if you're not feeling funny, though it'd still not really be the same.

To get that exact sound, in my opinion your best bet is getting something like a morley wah - a kinda wah that's "bypassed" when the thing you step on is all the way back and has the most effect when the thing is all the way forward, with no switches whatsoever, so you don't have to engage more than one effect at a time and you can get a better transition between one sound and the other.

Or, yeah, you could get another guitarist to do that while you play the main riff underneath.

An envelope filter anyway differs from an auto-wah (in the general acception of the terms) because an envelope filter makes the wah effect when you feed it with a signal strong enough (depending on the settings of the things and so on), while an auto-wah constantly does the wah wah effect at a fixed speed (again, most of them have settings for that).
Both of them also usually have more settings than cry babies.

A cheap auto wah is the big square thing from EHX I can't remember the name of.
They also make cheap envelope filters like the bassballs (yeah it does work on guitar, too), the micro-Q, the Q-tron and the Q-tron plus.

Up to you to decide what you prefer between envelope filters and auto wahs and cry babies.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

^ The big square thing is the EHX Worm

I have one on my board instead of a 'real' wah, it does a great job. I tried the Micro Q, but decided the timed effect of the Worm suited my needs better than the attack based effect of the Q.

I'd recommend either as worthy of investigation and a potential permanent place on anybodies board though.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World

Just A Girl sounds like a flanger, but the sweep only comes every so often, so it;s probably some kind of synth like effect.
however this thread seems to think that it's phaser as a wah, which actually makes sense
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...p?t-844051.html

Auto-Wah is a type of envelope filter, but envelope filters tend to have more parameters, such as changing the sound of the note played.
Here are some auto-wah/envelope filter songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
KerNeL_KLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
RickyThomson

Quote:
That's not an envelope filter, that's a guitar part with a funny sound over it.

It's one of these http://www.larslehmann.com/uploads/pics/FX25.jpg, with a phaser (or flanger) i've read in a few places

Quote:
because an envelope filter makes the wah effect when you feed it with a signal strong enough (depending on the settings of the things and so on), while an auto-wah constantly does the wah wah effect at a fixed speed

Oh, with auto-wah i meant to say the dynamic ones. Depending on how hard you pick the string.
Thanks though, i'll look at the other you mentioned.

Rate This Thread: