Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
DudE132

Having some trouble with fingerpicking and need help.

I noticed that when fingerpicking, I can hear my thumb mute the sixth string as I hit it with my thumb to play a note. My thumb will hit the sixth string, which quickly mutes the note that was previously played on the sixth string, and as my thumb comes off the string the new note is played. Kind of hard to explain.

This problem doesn't happen with my other strings, only my sixth. It's terribly annoying and ruins what I'm playing. Anyone else familiar with this issue and any advice on how to stop? I just want one smooth motion that plays the note.
DudE132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Bikewer

Consider using a thumb-pick? That will distance your thumb a little ways "out' from the string and may eliminate the problem.
Or... Examine your hand position generally. You may be hitting the string with the muscular part of the thumb, near the palm, for instance.
Perhaps a little alteration of your position (or the guitar's position) might take care of things.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

I think that you need to reconsider your attack. You are letting your thumb either hit the string incorrectly or rest on it for too long before doing the stroke. The only parts of your thumb that should touch the string are the ones that are going to be plucking it, whether you prefer a nail-only style, or a nail and flesh, or a flesh-only. Also, your thumb should be touching the string only for the split second that it needs to pluck it.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
DudE132

Yeah I'm definitely letting my fingers rest on the string for too long. I'm trying to play so that my fingers and thumb touch the string only long enough for the sound to play but it's much harder. I just can't seem to do it.

I've also noticed it only happens with open strings.

Last edited by DudE132 : 09-11-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
DudE132

Any advice on how to stop this from happening? It's really discouraging and makes me not want to play honestly.

Last edited by DudE132 : 09-14-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser

Practice slowly, using a metronome. Go as slow as you need to go in order to improve your picking technique. Speed it up slowly once you are satisfied with the improvement.

I find this works for nearly everthing!
Steve BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

Yeah, I would say that you need to really focus on when your fingers are touching the string. If you have trouble doing it at proper speed, then like Steve above me said, you should probably slow it down and "force" your thumb to stay off until you need the note to sound. Doing this should help you develop the muscle memory to just allow your hand to not rest on the strings by default
Old 09-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
mrdeetag
FINGERS OF LIGHTNING

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I think that you need to reconsider your attack. You are letting your thumb either hit the string incorrectly or rest on it for too long before doing the stroke. The only parts of your thumb that should touch the string are the ones that are going to be plucking it, whether you prefer a nail-only style, or a nail and flesh, or a flesh-only. Also, your thumb should be touching the string only for the split second that it needs to pluck it.

Dreads hit the nail on the head I think.

I hate to say it, the old "practice" solution,,,,but as always, it will get beetter.

cheers

and, omg!!!!! your still here dreadnought!!!!!!!!
excellent!
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
mrdeetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Dreadnought
Vengeance Weapon

I'm surprised to see you still around too! I don't play nearly as much as I should, or want to, but I still do play My job demands a lot of time and attention!

How are you?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
mrdeetag
FINGERS OF LIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I'm surprised to see you still around too! I don't play nearly as much as I should, or want to, but I still do play My job demands a lot of time and attention!

How are you?

things are good.
Man, feels like seeing a long lost brother!
Im still strumming around,,,,,

gonna start some threads to get ppl talking!!!

pm me man!!
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
mrdeetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
DudE132

I think I solved my problem and figured out what was wrong. When hitting a string with either my thumb or my fingers, I would tense my thumb/finger and have my whole arm move to pluck the string. Now if I just focus on having my finger joints move it sounds a lot better.

Of course it's not perfect but at least I now know what to practice.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
LastEmperor7

Great thread topic. I've just started learning how to fingerpick, so this was very helpful. I too find that starting slowly definitely helps with the muscle memory, and then picking up the pace and playing closer to speed when my fingers have memorized where to go.

Picking with just your fingers moving and not your whole arm was definitely helpful to note.
LastEmperor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
mymartind35
Guitarist/Vocalist

Tune the guitar to an open chord. "G" preferably. Then just sit there and fingerpick. Concentrate on your right hand. You can learn to Travis-pick that way too. Watch TV and just sit there and fingerpick. Play till you hate it, then play some more. Once your hand gets comfortable doing the "rolls", tune it back to standard tuning then play and see what happens.
Ovation Pro Series 1773AX Classical
Takamine EG334C Natural
Takamine G406S-VS New Yorker
(also the occasional G.A.S. guitar)
mymartind35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
nivatuleni

I have a problem that when i hit A or D string with my thumb my thumb touches the string one above them. Any suggestions please.
nivatuleni is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: