Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #4241
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

Thank you for all the information DisarmGoliath.

I'm all ears (or eyes) for any other tips from you guys regarding vocal recordings.
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
UFC on VHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #4242
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, to go more in depth we kind of need to know a bit more about what and how you're recording

What style of music (doesn't need to be too in-depth) and what vocal style(s) are you using? E.g. is it pop with clean falsetto and head voice (judging by the avatar, probably not lol) or death metal with cookie monster gutterals and fry screams? Different vocal techniques require different approaches, and different musical styles typically feature certain ideologies.

Also, have you got mic set up on a stand, going into the interface with the gain set right, going into your DAW and you are wearing headphones and standing right up to the mic? Be as in-depth as you can with how you're recording it. Are you in a bedroom and singing quieter to avoid disturbing others, or are you singing at full blast?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #4243
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Well, to go more in depth we kind of need to know a bit more about what and how you're recording

What style of music (doesn't need to be too in-depth) and what vocal style(s) are you using? E.g. is it pop with clean falsetto and head voice (judging by the avatar, probably not lol) or death metal with cookie monster gutterals and fry screams? Different vocal techniques require different approaches, and different musical styles typically feature certain ideologies.

Ok so my writing style is somewhere a cross between bands like Megadeth, Metallica and punk rock groups like The Offspring, NOFX, Pennywise etc. So no really screamo death metal types but not exactly squeeky clean pop sounding ether.

Quote:
Also, have you got mic set up on a stand, going into the interface with the gain set right, going into your DAW and you are wearing headphones and standing right up to the mic? Be as in-depth as you can with how you're recording it. Are you in a bedroom and singing quieter to avoid disturbing others, or are you singing at full blast?

I have stands and can use them but I have been holding the SM57 in my hands with a XLR cord straight into the interface. I usually had the gain or Inst mic (as it appears on my interface?) at about 12 o clock but will record it higher now to bring my vocal volume up. I have headphones that came with my Presonus pack and I use them and I record everything in my medium to small sized living room. My computer, interface, guitar amp etc is all in one side of the room.

As I said I've just been holding the mic and experimenting singing at different volumes and distances away from the mic. I guess I would say I naturally sing quieter, I tried to sing louder and closer because I bumped into some problems like I said but I found it makes some of the words make a popping noise in the recording like the letter P. So I guess I might look into making my own filter or buying one.
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Old 08-04-2015, 04:00 AM   #4244
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC on VHS
I have stands and can use them but I have been holding the SM57 in my hands.

I wouldn't do that, that immediately will introduce fluctuations in volume regardless of how well you control your voice. Use a stand.

Quote:
I usually had the gain or Inst mic (as it appears on my interface?) at about 12 o clock but will record it higher now to bring my vocal volume up.

Make sure you leave headroom, and don't let the signal clip.

Quote:
I found it makes some of the words make a popping noise in the recording like the letter P.

How much this happens will vary depending on what mic you have but if it's an issue then yeah I would get one.

As a general rule, vocals don't take extreme processing too well. Some instruments you can pretty much do whatever you want when it comes to mixing, but vocals don't tend to. If you capture it right at the source you should be sorted though.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #4245
UFC on VHS
Megadeth>Metallica

Cool thanks for the tips and nice riffing on youtube thumbs up.
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Old 08-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #4246
Cavalcade
razor sharp

hi Recording Chat

how yall been

Last edited by Cavalcade : 08-05-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #4247
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

I picked up a box of ATS fiberglass boards from a friend who was moving. 50 bucks brand new. On Amazon it's going for almost 100 with shipping!!

Don't know when I'll get around to actually doing something with them. They're kind of intimidating. Lots of microscopic fiber on the surface that you have to handle with full protective gear...

...modes and scales are still useless.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:35 AM   #4248
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado

^ you just need to wear gloves and be careful really.

Fiberglass can turn to dust and it's a bit of a pain in the ass to remove from your body but it's nothing toxic or poisonous, it's just uncomfortable to have on you
Old 08-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #4249
the chemist
Resident Session Player

Finally got 2 more channels of ISA pres. Up to 6 now.

Rate This Thread: