Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
ILLaViTaR

How to get real tight?

I've been playing for like 7 years now and the only time I can perfectly get in sync with a song would have to be with a metallica type song (something really easy to groove to like orion for example). Then there's songs I'll try to play like "cant stop" by RHCP and it'll sound nothing like the original, it'll just sound weak, i'll barely emphasize key notes, just downright crappy basically. I just can't feel the same way it's like I'm confused. You watch frusciante play that riff and there's so much strength and feel behind it,. I was wondering what the best way to approach this would be?

It's hard to explain I think it's just timing but I can play in time perfectly with a metronome and all that... it's more about really blending into the song/getting into the pocket. The guitarist of faith no more is a good example of what I mean, if I try and play the power chords he does they'll sound way less crisp than his, and his rhythm is way more prominent and his mutes are nicer I guess it's hard to explain I'm sort've confusing myself here haha I guess there's just far more definition in his playing.
Does anyone know what I mean exactly and how I'd go about fixing it?? and don't say chromatic exercises and a metronome I've been doing them forever and they haven't helped much in the last couple of years besides hitting them perfectly robotic everytime, If I applied that style of technique to a song it would sound no better than a power tab!!
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

You need to practice with different rhythms and time signatures.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
StuartBahn

Try to play each of the different subdivisions at say 60bpm. Ie:

8th notes
8th note triplets
16th notes
Quintuplets (if you want a bigger challenge)
16th note triples
Septuplets (if you want a bigger challenge)
32nd notes
Nonuplets (if you want a bigger challenge)

Do it all on a single fretted note focussing 100% on viciously accurate timing. Try closing your eyes too.

Let me know how you get on.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
jjbarnes
You read these?

It sounds like you don't got no feel. But seriously, metronomes with different rhythmic subdivisions is your best bet.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

...in order to help you, hearing you play seems kinda crucial since you seem to have a hard time explaining this issue

Seriously, upload a video or something

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
shwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
LightxGrenade

You've already been suggested practicing different rhythms so I wont go over that.

I think what you're talking about when you say that you can play power chords but it wont sound the same as the musician playing it, is about your tone. You ever heard the phrase tone is in your hands? It's great to have a high end guitar and amp and to be able to play fast but there's also a quality in the way some musicians palm mute, the way their vibrato rings out and other factors that makes it distinctively "slick" sounding.

Check your picking hand motions make sure they aren't exaggerated so you don't waste time coming back to the string. You can start on time then those extra milliseconds coming back to the string can slowly but surely knock you off the beat. Even the angle at which your pick strikes the strings and just how hard you strike them can make a noticeable difference. Look at those things and see where improvements can be made.

And another thing since you say you have no issue keeping time with a metronome but you sound kinda plain when playing along with a song, sounds to me like you don't have a lot of experience playing music with others. Try jamming along to songs on acoustic and emphasize making efficient transitions from one chord to another or from one melody to another. I find that a lot of people subconsciously slow down just a little bit when they switch chords which leaves a small but notable pause in the music and it definitely messes w/people's sense of timing.
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

try to record a cover. it doesn't have to be a whole song, just cheat by doing section by section to a metronome and it'll help you. at first you might find that you suck even more than you thought previously, but with practice you'll get better.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
funkbass369
UG Senior Member

Kegels
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
funkbass369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwilly
...in order to help you, hearing you play seems kinda crucial since you seem to have a hard time explaining this issue

Seriously, upload a video or something

Could you... I don't know... maybe... change your sig?

This is an electronic track I made, influenced by Trentemøller and Meshuggah
If you want C4C just give me a message!
MaXiMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
shwilly
Strictly Controversial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXiMuse
Could you... I don't know... maybe... change your sig?
Sure man, after Rio 2014

Until then I think I'll keep it as a badge of shame. Never forget

NL
5 - 1 Spain
NL
3 - 2 Australia
NL
2 - 0 Chile
NL
2 - 1 Mexico
NL
0 - 0 Costa Rica (4-3)
NL
0 - 0 Argentina (2-4)
NL 3 - 0 7-1zɐɹq

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
shwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Guitarra_acores

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I've been playing for like 7 years now and the only time I can perfectly get in sync with a song would have to be with a metallica type song (something really easy to groove to like orion for example). Then there's songs I'll try to play like "cant stop" by RHCP and it'll sound nothing like the original, it'll just sound weak, i'll barely emphasize key notes, just downright crappy basically. I just can't feel the same way it's like I'm confused. You watch frusciante play that riff and there's so much strength and feel behind it,. I was wondering what the best way to approach this would be?

It's hard to explain I think it's just timing but I can play in time perfectly with a metronome and all that... it's more about really blending into the song/getting into the pocket. The guitarist of faith no more is a good example of what I mean, if I try and play the power chords he does they'll sound way less crisp than his, and his rhythm is way more prominent and his mutes are nicer I guess it's hard to explain I'm sort've confusing myself here haha I guess there's just far more definition in his playing.
Does anyone know what I mean exactly and how I'd go about fixing it?? and don't say chromatic exercises and a metronome I've been doing them forever and they haven't helped much in the last couple of years besides hitting them perfectly robotic everytime, If I applied that style of technique to a song it would sound no better than a power tab!!

I know exactly what you mean.
You can be perfectly in time, with the right notes and still sound dull. The thing is no one in popular music plays in perfect subdivisions of the beat, that would sound boring and predictable. They play perfectly in time but "swing" the beat (I believe this is called syncopation, not totally sure though), you have to loosen up and just "groove".

If you're a metal player it's normal that you can't totally capture other styles nuances. It's one thing to have the musicianship and technique to play in time but to make something come alive there's other stuff that comes into play. Even the pros face this issue. John Mayer is one of the grooviest, most soulful guitarists I know, but I saw a clip of him playing Eruption by Van Halen and it just sounded dull. If you talk about his album continuum though, it has some of the most interesting guitar music I ever heard. It comes down to your personality as a musician, you should play what you hear in your mind and what makes you groove... you won't have to worry about these things if you do it that way. Groove is the key issue here.

As advice to you I would say to work with a metronome. Once you can play perfectly in time playing strict subdivisions try to play just behind or just ahead of the beat and slow down and catch up on the same measure. Try to get into other styles also, reggae, funk, latin all have interesting rythmic "idiom".

Last edited by Guitarra_acores : 03-09-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Other than what people have said so far in this thread. Take a look at these 2 videos.

and

Use these method to your advantage. I will not go further into explaining them, cause Victor does it so well. Apply this to licks/riffs/sections of songs/whatever you are practicing!

I would advice you too look into musical styles that have a heavy focus on rhythmical playing as well. That is only my personal opinion though, if you don't like it you shouldn't do it. But if you like those styles of music (Funk, Reggae, Soul, 80's Disco, Groove rock, Jazz etc) i would advice you to start looking at learning material from there aswell, cause that will develop your time keeping and rhythmic understanding in music as a whole, not just in one genre.

Hope i was to any help, good luck, keep practicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."

Last edited by Sickz : 03-09-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: