Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 AM   #1041
ciano16
I use modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter_6661
EDIT.
Here's the link to my current mix. I didn't realize the removed the MP3 feature on this website. Sorry about that
https://soundcloud.com/as_saints_fa...uitar-tone-demo

Do you use any compressors on the drum tracks? In all honesty, I think the best way to learn is to use reaper's presets, then tweak them to find out what the different parameters do. Put ReaEQ and ReaComp on every drum track, then pick a preset that matches the instrument. Also, the whole mix sounds very light on bass. The EQ and Compression will help that without clipping.

I'm curious as to how far up you high passed your guitars, because they are a little thin to me.
Finally, did you mix this on headphones, computer speakers, or powered monitors? I'm just trying to get a feel for where you are at and what resources you have available.

On a less related, but still useful note, the people on this site, as well as many other musicians, will come off as condescending when they think that you didn't try to learn before asking them. Many people on here are self-taught and learned by reading many articles and watching many videos. It's like asking someone with a PHD in math how to do simple addition and subtraction. If you just hop in here with a terrible mix(not you right now, but couldve been you at one point) and you have things like obvious clipping, poor balance, no stereo spread, no fx processing, etc, then you really should do your homework first. Those things I just mentioned are simple, absolutely necessary, and widely available for you to learn about, and so you should learn about them before posting on here. Believe me; I learned the hard way.

Last edited by ciano16 : 10-31-2014 at 02:17 AM.
ciano16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:46 AM   #1042
Unholy.Daemon
Call Me Jamie.

Hi all, I've just finished a mix and master of one of my new songs. I started this a couple of days ago, it's been mixed on monitors and headphones, which is currently all I can listen to it on at the minute. Just wondered what you think, what you'd change, the usual really. Thanks all!

soundcloud link - https://soundcloud.com/faith-in-ruins/this-is-war
Unholy.Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #1043
Schecter_6661

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciano16
Do you use any compressors on the drum tracks? In all honesty, I think the best way to learn is to use reaper's presets, then tweak them to find out what the different parameters do. Put ReaEQ and ReaComp on every drum track, then pick a preset that matches the instrument. Also, the whole mix sounds very light on bass. The EQ and Compression will help that without clipping.

I'm curious as to how far up you high passed your guitars, because they are a little thin to me.
Finally, did you mix this on headphones, computer speakers, or powered monitors? I'm just trying to get a feel for where you are at and what resources you have available.

On a less related, but still useful note, the people on this site, as well as many other musicians, will come off as condescending when they think that you didn't try to learn before asking them. Many people on here are self-taught and learned by reading many articles and watching many videos. It's like asking someone with a PHD in math how to do simple addition and subtraction. If you just hop in here with a terrible mix(not you right now, but couldve been you at one point) and you have things like obvious clipping, poor balance, no stereo spread, no fx processing, etc, then you really should do your homework first. Those things I just mentioned are simple, absolutely necessary, and widely available for you to learn about, and so you should learn about them before posting on here. Believe me; I learned the hard way.

I don't have EQ and Compression on every track in the drum folder. I just figured out how to split the drums into multiple tracks. And I've been trying to look up some EQ tips for each individual aspect of the drums.
As for guitars, Its just two tracks panned left and right. Im getting around to perhaps quad tracking after the intro.
And as for the bass, I just found a bass virtual instrument to include in the cover im working on. 4Front Bass Module I think its called.
I currently have some M-audio speakers and some Audio Technica headphones.

I understand it's a bit frustrating asking for some critiques at this level but I ended up just giving it a try. I've tried Youtube and locally and found very little help. You got to start somewhere, right?

Last edited by Schecter_6661 : 10-31-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Schecter_6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 AM   #1044
Unholy.Daemon
Call Me Jamie.

Quote:
I don't have EQ and Compression on every track in the drum folder. I just figured out how to split the drums into multiple tracks. And I've been trying to look up some EQ tips for each individual aspect of the drums.
As for guitars, Its just two tracks panned left and right. Im getting around to perhaps quad tracking after the intro.
And as for the bass, I just found a bass virtual instrument to include in the cover im working on. 4Front Bass Module I think its called.
I currently have some M-audio speakers and some Audio Technica headphones.

I understand it's a bit frustrating asking for some critiques at this level but I ended up just giving it a try. I've tried Youtube and locally and found very little help. You got to start somewhere, right?

Before doing anymore mixing on it, I would seriously add the bass in. it'll be extremely hard to effectively mix anything without all the instruments there. There's nothing wrong with using a VSTi bass, but you've got to understand it will never sound realistic, unless you fork out a lot of money for a really good sampled instrument. As for the guitar tones, they sound lovely and thick, I personally wouldn't quad track with a tone like that, but it all depends on how the bass affects the mix. Also, when you've sorted the bass, you need to learn how to balance the kick and the bass. there's plenty of tutorials if you google that. it's a good starting point though, everyone has got to start somewhere like you said!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #1045
Schecter_6661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy.Daemon
Before doing anymore mixing on it, I would seriously add the bass in. it'll be extremely hard to effectively mix anything without all the instruments there. There's nothing wrong with using a VSTi bass, but you've got to understand it will never sound realistic, unless you fork out a lot of money for a really good sampled instrument. As for the guitar tones, they sound lovely and thick, I personally wouldn't quad track with a tone like that, but it all depends on how the bass affects the mix. Also, when you've sorted the bass, you need to learn how to balance the kick and the bass. there's plenty of tutorials if you google that. it's a good starting point though, everyone has got to start somewhere like you said!

I got a VST but it just sounded so off. But I am looking up some more information on EQing bass guitars and trying to mix them with the kick drum because it sounded weird. I would get a bass guitar but I have never played the bass before. Im sure I could find some Bass guitar tabs for the song and the UX1 has a few bass amps to play with so I might as well.
Schecter_6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #1046
Unholy.Daemon
Call Me Jamie.

Quote:
I got a VST but it just sounded so off. But I am looking up some more information on EQing bass guitars and trying to mix them with the kick drum because it sounded weird. I would get a bass guitar but I have never played the bass before. Im sure I could find some Bass guitar tabs for the song and the UX1 has a few bass amps to play with so I might as well.

Yeah that's what I mean, it can be done if you get a very good sampled one, but for demo's and home recording, it would make more sense to buy a dirt cheap one. That's probably one of the most crucial parts of recording metal, because the kick drum is generally what drives the song and the bass is what can make it sound seriously heavy. As for playing bass, it's not a whole lot different from guitar when you're only going to be playing it on recordings. I'm not a bassist by any means, but I play mine just like a guitar and it still sounds fine to me!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #1047
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmed...ruly-happy-with

EDDITT!1!!
Change of plan - Now it's going to be in Drop C rather than C# :P
Still, what do you think?

Last edited by CorrosionMedia : 11-24-2014 at 02:31 AM.
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #1048
Fisheth24
UG's only Dean user

https://soundcloud.com/andy-scarlet...owers-elephants

Would you guys mind giving this a crit?
Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #1049
xFilth
Phrygianist

Short pre-production clip of upcoming concept album:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...r%20201114c.mp3
Old 11-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #1050
chaosmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosionMedia
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmed...ruly-happy-with

EDDITT!1!!
Change of plan - Now it's going to be in Drop B rather than C# :P
Still, what do you think?

I could use a little less click and a little more thump from the kick. The snare seems a little thin to me; try pushing a little more mids in there to get a nice body, and maybe even adding a touch of distortion. Other than that, I dig the mix.

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/andy-scarlet...owers-elephants

Would you guys mind giving this a crit?

First and foremost, the female vocals get seriously buried. Try to get both the vocals to sit on top of the mix. You might have to carve out some space for them from the guitars. I really like the guitar sound: easily the best element of the mix for me. I love the snare as well.

The whole mix is a dull for my tastes. Try to add some energy into the mix. I might add some high end, cut just a little from the mids/low mids, and add some compression.

Quote:
Short pre-production clip of upcoming concept album:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...r%20201114c.mp3

That sounds great! Personally not a fan of the distortion on the vocals, but that's a stylistic thing I guess. I'd also maybe give just a bit more space to the vocals. The kick needs a little more thump to it. Other than that, I dig it.
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #1051
xFilth
Phrygianist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmoon
That sounds great! Personally not a fan of the distortion on the vocals, but that's a stylistic thing I guess. I'd also maybe give just a bit more space to the vocals. The kick needs a little more thump to it. Other than that, I dig it.

Cheers! Kick thump is duly noted!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #1052
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Here's a new one from me! This was intended to be a reference demo, since we wrote this song years ago and have been pushing it through arrangement after arrangement. It finally clicked, so we just wanted to get something down on 'tape' and reference it later when we go to the studio for a full LP. Well, it sounded so good that my fiancée insisted on sharing it!

https://soundcloud.com/lavenderlane/new-carry-on-demo

Fun facts about the mix:
-No guitars (a first for me)
-No MIDI (another first)
-One mic and one outboard pre were used on every track (except bass was DI through the pre)
-The bass is a u-bass (ukulele)
-Only plugs used were a room reverb send, bass cab impulse, EQ (bass only), ssl-style bus compressor on the master
-Whole thing recorded in two hours in my home studio
-Wrote the bassline on the first take, nailed it on the second
-Improvised percussion, I did tambourine and she did shaker, one take each

Oh, and I'm not looking for serious mix feedback, it's a demo and should be treated as such, mostly just wanted to share a unique production!
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: