Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
smokeynichol

Adirondack Top Vs Engelmann Spruce

Which top would you prefer if you play country music and you want a more 'bassy' sound??
smokeynichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i'd say adirondack is good for country as it allows for louder playing and has more presence. not sure that either has more bass, but engelmann has more overtones and is a little mellower.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Something else you need to consider is the construction of the guitar. The thickness of the top, the bracing and other factors will determine the voice of the guitar. Another factor is the string gauge.

I own a few Taylor acoustics and just happen to have one with a spruce top and another with an adirondack top. Patticake is right about the adirondack - you can strum the heck out of it and the tone doesn't break up or distort like it can on other acoustics. That guitar also has 13s on it, which give it a nice, beefy tone, unlike my other Taylors.

You also need to take into consideration how the guitar is going to be used. If you're gigging and have a bass player, you probably don't want an acoustic with a thick, chunky bass tone. When I'm playing out and we have our bassist, I like to play something that fits a bit better in the mix.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: