Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
sl1pk0t001

What does UG think about Ibanez Iron Label?

Hey UG, i was looking at the new Iron Labels and like the look of them but there are none locally for me to try so, does anyone have any opinions?
sl1pk0t001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God

Haven't played them but I just looked them up and they look pretty badass
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
racertj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

They are supposedly very good for the money, but they are a bit too plain for me.

Also they are apparently lower quality than the Prestiges and Premiums, but that is to be expected given the price.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

I'd rather just get a regular RG or S [I have an S420] and just switch out the pickups when I have enough money. That way I get the floating trem [that I really like] and still get the pickups later if I want to upgrade.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
DarthV

You should be able to find used Prestiges for the same price as a new Iron Label, I'd go with the former
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
weirdoku

I have a RGIR27FE. I think it costs a little too much (479) for what it is, it's very similar to my RGR321EX (269) apart from the 7th string, active pickups and different material neck. The differences doesn't really justify the 210 difference...

I don't know if it's just the one I got but from what I can see on my RGIR, the build quality is a little lower than my RGR. There's a few little quality issues in a few places but you can sort these out yourself easily. I think Ibanez should have gone with black hardware for the RGIR, would look so much better but then again, that's my opinion.

There's not much use for the kill switch either, how many people actually regularly use a kill switch? Should have just put a tone there instead. Infact, I'm already thinking about re-wiring my RGIR with a tone knob.

Now I've never played another 7 string in my life to give you a comparison but it just feels like my RGR with a 7th string.

It might work out cheaper if you got a standard RG and put active pickups in there.
weirdoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
TTeddybear

I just got mine for about a week now and i really like. It's easy to play both sitting down and standing and the the looks are amazing

I am switching out the "two way switch" killswitch to a button though
TTeddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Stealthtastic

I think you have to be pretty ****ing stupid to pay the prices Ibanez is asking for these when you can get 'real' MiJ ibbys on the used market all day long with real pickups.

UV7PWH
Stealthtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Alder Blonde

It's just a well made hard tail guitar... I'd be happier if they put a Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB in it. Do you really need a kill switch?
Alder Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
sl1pk0t001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic
I think you have to be pretty ****ing stupid to pay the prices Ibanez is asking for these when you can get 'real' MiJ ibbys on the used market all day long with real pickups.

If the option was there for me, i would take it but i live in perth, australia and used japanese ibbys are few and far between and jap 7 strings are damn near impossible to find in Perth
sl1pk0t001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

While that might be true in some cases, the Ibanez Iron Label guitars will be on the used market after a while, and probably selling for less than a MIJ Prestige. Getting and Iron Label for $300 might be totally worth it. And it's not like there are ton of used Presiges out there with hardtails and 7-8 strings.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
Stealthtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
While that might be true in some cases, the Ibanez Iron Label guitars will be on the used market after a while, and probably selling for less than a MIJ Prestige. Getting and Iron Label for $300 might be totally worth it. And it's not like there are ton of used Presiges out there with hardtails and 7-8 strings.

They are pretty easy to find bro. The last 7421 (japanese version, not the new indo version) was only $195 and the last 7620 I bought was $400, it came with a set of DiMarzios.

Just make sure you check multiple forums frequently, craigslist, and Ebay.

Even if you're in 'straya its possible, my friend picked up an RGD 2127z with BKPs for $700 last month, so be smart and patient and you WILL find something.

Trust me!

UV7PWH

Last edited by Stealthtastic : 04-24-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
jma1111

I would have got an iron label S, but I wanted a tremolo, so got a 570MQM. They look really good, I like that new pewder finish.
jma1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
DarthV

Quote:
They are pretty easy to find bro. The last 7421 (japanese version, not the new indo version) was only $195 and the last 7620 I bought was $400, it came with a set of DiMarzios.

Even if you're in 'straya its possible, my friend picked up an RGD 2127z with BKPs for $700 last month, so be smart and patient and you WILL find something.

Trust me!

Think your friend was extremely lucky to find a rgd2127 for $700 anywhere, let alone with BKPs. Unless it looks like it was put through a wood shredder a few times! But yeah, if you want a great deal, you need to be patient (or lucky). I just ordered a used 2008 rg1527 for $500. It has the usual dings/chips in the paint on the edges, but that's gonna happen anyways. Love the sharp edges that Ibanez uses, but rounded ones won't chip as easily :P
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

Trust me!

I know good deals exist and there are some 7 string MIJ Ibbies out there for good prices, but I don't think that automatically makes the Iron Label series a poor purchase. If everyone sits around and waits for a used MIJ hardtail 7-string ibby, there won't be enough to go around. Hell, there aren't enough to go around anyway. Even when I checked CL and eBay constantly for good deals on Ibbies I didn't see many. The $200 MIJ 7 string ibbies sure as hell don't happen on eBay or on my local CL. Maybe at GC, but even then I doubt it.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
JELIFISH19

Quote:

Ummmm, that pretty much exists with any guitar ever. Why buy a new Gibson when you can find a used Gibson Custom for the same price. Why buy a MIM Fender when you can buy a used MIA Fender? Something isn't overpriced just because of what's available the used market.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Stealthtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19
Ummmm, that pretty much exists with any guitar ever. Why buy a new Gibson when you can find a used Gibson Custom for the same price. Why buy a MIM Fender when you can buy a used MIA Fender? Something isn't overpriced just because of what's available the used market.

Why pay so much for an indonesian guitar when you can get a korean schecter for less?

I dont see the point in buying new guitars anyways unless they are high end CS instruments. There is literally no advantage to buying new for low end guitars.

UV7PWH

Last edited by Stealthtastic : 04-25-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Rate This Thread: