Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #41
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean0913
gumb, credit for you for trying to help. Clearly you have "some" knowledge there, and I see you've been trying to put it together. However you have gaps, and AW was right, and you did oversimplify things, and by adding serialism, you further muddied the water concerning the relative knowledge of the TS.

i never meant to give a comprehensive post, and looking back now i can see my food for thought was tainted with misinformation. AW also did inform me quite thoroughly how wrong i was, and i actually appreciate that. usually i show more reserve in giving information i am not qualified to give, put apparently i have made a grave mistake in putting in my 2 cents.

there may have been a bit of a barb in my first reply, but the next posts were truly meant to be food for thought. at one point in time i made a self realization that my posts were more motivated to be at the expense of others rather than to help the TS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
then all i can tell you is to go teach a "psychology and feelings" class at your local community college, where you can go tell people how to think like kathryn schulz.

you give me far too much credit, i hardly know anything about Ms. Shulz. I just posted a talk i saw one time that made me think about how i treat 'people who are wrong'.

it also does concern me that you are so willing to 'butt heads'. i had thought i had been quite reserved, especially compared to your normal level of discourse.

you have motivated me to steer clear of this forum though. obviously someone like me has no place here.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #42
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
you give me far too much credit, i hardly know anything about Ms. Shulz. I just posted a talk i saw one time that made me think about how i treat 'people who are wrong'.

it also does concern me that you are so willing to 'butt heads'. i had thought i had been quite reserved, especially compared to your normal level of discourse.

you have motivated me to steer clear of this forum though. obviously someone like me has no place here.

and you're going to tell me there's no barb here (as well as in the half of your post i've omitted)? there was a barb in each and every one of your posts - if you really want to continue, i'll point out each and every one. but frankly, this argument has gone on far too long. sean summed it up nicely - so i advise you to drop it.

if you really don't think you have barbs in your posts, then i advise you to work on your english skills - learn to phrase things the way you intend them to sound. diction is a very important part of perception. the fault lies with he who implies, not he who infers.

in that vein, i felt no deference nor humility from you. i mean, look at the very last sentence you posted. all i can say is that if that's how you really feel (assuming that isn't a barb), then that's definitely your best option.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #43
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
and you're going to tell me there's no barb here (as well as in the half of your post i've omitted)? there was a barb in each and every one of your posts - if you really want to continue, i'll point out each and every one. but frankly, this argument has gone on far too long. sean summed it up nicely - so i advise you to drop it.

if you really don't think you have barbs in your posts, then i advise you to work on your english skills - learn to phrase things the way you intend them to sound. diction is a very important part of perception. the fault lies with he who implies, not he who infers.

in that vein, i felt no deference nor humility from you. i mean, look at the very last sentence you posted. all i can say is that if that's how you really feel (assuming that isn't a barb), then that's definitely your best option.

Yo I live in lower Manhattan we lost all the power its ridiculous I live a few blocks from Con Ed and the thing exploded! It was crazy! Im staying uptown with my moms friend and I'm able to post i just came in here cause i need to say somethings and someone said you live in the city so yea.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #44
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
Yo I live in lower Manhattan we lost all the power its ridiculous I live a few blocks from Con Ed and the thing exploded! It was crazy! Im staying uptown with my moms friend and I'm able to post i just came in here cause i need to say somethings and someone said you live in the city so yea.

LOL yeah, i heard things got crazy downtown. i'm glad you were able to find some shelter! yes, i do live in the city - but in queens. fortunately, i'm in an area that was relatively untouched by sandy.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #45
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
thank you, i'm fine i was one of the fortunate ones who never even lost power! we got an assload of wind, though. never in any danger of flood, or anything like that.

other parts of the city, however, were less fortunate - and apparently my accountant's house burned to the ground. nonetheless, thank you for your concern, but we're all good!

Glad to hear it All the best to those of you in The Land Of The Free
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #46
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
i'm sorry you feel that way. again, it's all about attitude. if, instead of being open to a new attitude, you feel the need to dismiss it and rebut me, then that does explain a lot.

I've seen examples of the attitude you are espousing before. From my pov it's not a new attitude but an old attitude I've seen before, considered and rejected.

Quote:
it's okay to make mistakes - you need to. the opposite is not possible. but there is simply no excuse for being wrong.

And you don't see any contradiction between the assertion that "it's OK to make mistakes" and the assertion that there is "no excuse for being wrong"?

I say again: It's fine to make mistakes. It's fine to be wrong. You don't need an excuse to be wrong because it's part of the human condition.

Quote:
three words: attitude. determines. results. if you take a no-nonsense, no-bullshit attitude, your results skyrocket. i'm also guessing you disagree with that. but you're entitled to your opinion. there are people who don't believe in the proven theory of evolution, either.

Yeah, but what strikes me about your no-nonsense, no-bullshit attitude is that you seem unable to apply it to yourself when someone else calls 'bullshit' on what you've said. Physician: Heal thyself.
As it happens I agree that attitude determines results to some extent, and in some fields of human endeavour, and I suppose you could say you've got a result out of me.

Finally - you can guess about my opinion all you like, but the best way to find out about someone's opinion is to politely enquire rather than to guess and then go off on one about the straw man you've erected.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #47
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
And you don't see any contradiction between the assertion that "it's OK to make mistakes" and the assertion that there is "no excuse for being wrong"?

not at all. if you see a contradiction, then perhaps there's a thought process that you're rejecting -- worry less about me and more about yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Head
Yeah, but what strikes me about your no-nonsense, no-bullshit attitude is that you seem unable to apply it to yourself when someone else calls 'bullshit' on what you've said. Physician: Heal thyself.
As it happens I agree that attitude determines results to some extent, and in some fields of human endeavour, and I suppose you could say you've got a result out of me.

Finally - you can guess about my opinion all you like, but the best way to find out about someone's opinion is to politely enquire rather than to guess and then go off on one about the straw man you've erected.

ah, personal attacks. classy. if i wasn't able to apply it to myself, i wouldn't have results. i wouldn't be able to play music. i wouldn't have the knowledge, skill, and experience that i do. if someone else calls bullshit before listening to me (and i do mean really listening), why should i expend energy and effort teaching a flea-bitten old dog new tricks?

if you agree that attitude determines results "to some extent" (not to mention only in "some" fields of human endeavor, then your attitude isn't maximizing them for you. it's 90% attitude and 10% hard work. i don't care what you're doing. that's how i play music, that's how i make money, that's how i do everything. and i always get results -- so clearly i'm doing something right, wouldn't you say? and the best part about this approach is that it allows for duplication -- namely, that if i teach someone to do exactly as i do, they will get results. it is not a situational approach, based on some natural advantage or situational benefit that i have -- if i teach someone to do exactly what i do down to a T, they will experience massive results. it's that simple.

frankly, i really don't care about your opinion. i do things the way i do because there is no better way. i've tried many different approaches and this particularly aggressive one has gotten me the most results in minimum time (and still allows me to do so). this is not "my way", it's the way i've chosen to take. that is to say, this isn't an approach that i invented. it's an approach that has been getting musicians results for centuries, and i simply chose to follow it after experiencing minimal results through many other styles of training and methods of thought.

my motto is "show me better, and i will follow", and i have yet to see better. if you genuinely think your approach is better and you actually have something to offer me, then i'm interested in what you do, how you've trained, and how you think.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: