Password
Search:

Old 03-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #4881
PonyFan #411947
In the traphouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
>Orioles spank Yankees 10-2 with two homers
>90% of the entire recap is about A-Rod hitting a home run, with the final score and one of the Orioles homers mentioned as footnotes

Love you too, ESPN.

Necro, you called the downfall of the "dreamteam" Broncos in the NFL thread. Do you or anyone think the Ms have dreamteam syndrome written on them this year? Now they got Nelson Cruz so have arguably the best, and highly paid, 2 3 4 in baseball with Cano, Seager, Cruz, all all-stars with lots of rbis's. Then of there's Felix, a good starting staff, and the best bullpen in baseball last year.

So the expectation is at least ALCS or World Series or bust.

The ultimate Mariners pessimist in me says, meh. But the Seahawks fan in me says right on because this is what the Hawks did and it paid off. They went into "win now" mode and it paid off, and if it hadn't worked then at least they were great to watch.

How do you guys like their chances? Do you see them winning the AL West?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:51 AM   #4882
PonyFan #1024632
Autonomatonomonapoton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
I haven't watched ESPN in a long, long time. I don't even watch Baseball Tonight anymore, lost interest after Berthiaume left (though Karl Ravech is and always will be awesome). Also for the most part their analysts have always kinda sucked.

EDIT: Also, necrosis, I've been meaning to go back and read that article and wall of text since you posted it and just haven't found the time

I only browse to get mad when I'm bored

Let me know what your impression is once you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSmitty6
Necro, you called the downfall of the "dreamteam" Broncos in the NFL thread. Do you or anyone think the Ms have dreamteam syndrome written on them this year? Now they got Nelson Cruz so have arguably the best, and highly paid, 2 3 4 in baseball with Cano, Seager, Cruz, all all-stars with lots of rbis's. Then of there's Felix, a good starting staff, and the best bullpen in baseball last year.

So the expectation is at least ALCS or World Series or bust.

The ultimate Mariners pessimist in me says, meh. But the Seahawks fan in me says right on because this is what the Hawks did and it paid off. They went into "win now" mode and it paid off, and if it hadn't worked then at least they were great to watch.

How do you guys like their chances? Do you see them winning the AL West?

Well, their only real competition is LA. Oakland's selling everything, and while they'll be a threat later, right now they're not much to write home about, at least so far. Houston's on the way up, but has another year or two before they're a pennant-ready team. The Rangers losing Darvish kills pretty much any hope they have. Andrus and Beltre are about all that's worth a damn there, and baseball's too team-oriented a sport for two good players to save a team. As long as the Mariners can hold their own head-to-head with LA, I like their chances; not to knock on a very good Angels team, but I think Seattle has more talent.

I also think that A. you have a much more manageable situation as I've always had the impression that Cano and Cruz are both good clubhouse guys(How's Seager there?), and B. it's much more possible to buy a championship in baseball. Obviously there's no cap, but more than that, there's much less transition for players moving to new teams. A quarterback learning his receiver's speed and a receiver learning his quarterback's habits can take a year, maybe two. Fielding a left-field popup is the same process anywhere you go, because the ball comes down exactly the same every time, wind notwithstanding. Around 80% of throws in baseball are routine enough that, unless your teammates are remarkably short or unathletic, it's going to be in their reach, other than things like double plays where you really need chemistry. Pitcher and catcher aside, most positions can transfer pretty much everything other than power hitting fairly neatly. There's no quarterback throwing perfect balls to make a .200 hitter hit .280, no shutdown corner to make an average fielder look like a gold glove player. It's a more team-oriented sport, but you get a truer picture of each player, so when someone signs big somewhere, usually they work. Or tl;dr, Dream Team Syndrome happens a lot less in baseball in my opinion, so having studs like that means a lot more here than having equivalent studs in the NFL would.

After winning the pennant though, honestly, I have no clue. Cano's hit-or-miss in the playoffs; he's either hitting in the upper .300s, or he's well below the Mendoza line. King Felix has never been there as far as I recall, so he's a complete unknown. He could be just as good or better in the postseason, but it's not like we haven't seen Cy Young-worthy pitchers choke in the playoffs, right Kershaw? Cruz is great, but you need more than just a hot Cruz to make it, I speak from experience there. I'm expecting them to make the ALCS, but I can't say I trust them enough to sit here and say they'll go all the way, though if they actually make it that far, we should have some answers as far as which Cano we get, what Felix does, etc.. But not only do I need to see them handle adversity in the playoffs, I need to see them handle success; leading up to last year's ALCS I was nervous because I felt like the Orioles celebrated too soon. They were popping champagne like they had clinched the AL, and I think they overlooked KC. Success is almost as hard to handle as failure, and an untested postseason team like Seattle has question-marks.

TLDR I think they're a postseason lock, and I'd also likely bet on them if they perform how I expect them to. But if you put a gun to my head, I wouldn't call them a world series team. Tigers have better pitching, Angels have better hitting, Jays have a ton of talent, Orioles and Royals have better skippers - no disrespect to McClendon - and better defenses, other teams have too many edges. But I definitely expect them to be a tough contender. Call me cautiously optimistic about the Mariners' chances.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3

Last edited by necrosis1193 : 03-30-2015 at 12:53 AM.
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:21 AM   #4883
PonyFan #411947
In the traphouse

Seager is awesome to answer your question, signed a below market contract to stay too. Cano and Cruz are a step in the right direction, clubhouse wise. People didn't mention it because he was so important for so long, but I'd always heard rumors Ichiro wasn't a team guy, and under past managers the team was never really united or had much camaraderie. Maybe it was the language barrier, but if someone asked a Seattle sports fan their top 10 athletes and their importance, Ichiro should be on that list, but you rarely hear him mentioned. It seems like the team is more well rounded and on point without him, but I digress.

McClendon is only in his 2nd year of coaching too, but is the best coach since Bob Melvin (we've had many). He's brought in a new regime, and looks like a long term solution.

Last edited by TSmitty6 : 03-30-2015 at 02:23 AM.
TSmitty6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #4884
PonyFan #1024632
Autonomatonomonapoton

Would not honestly surprise me given how he's seemed as a Yankee. Always liked him, but he always seemed kind of me-first.

Also, anyone have advice for elevating a ball while batting? Intramural softball's finally started up, and while I did well in our first game(2/3 plus some pretty solid baserunning for a man on a bum ankle), I feel like I should be getting more power and height out of my hits.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3

Last edited by necrosis1193 : 03-30-2015 at 11:26 PM.
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #4885
PonyFan #411947
In the traphouse

Squash the bug.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #4886
PonyFan #120896
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
*wall of text about David Ortiz*
Honestly, I believe him. I also think he is a borderline Hall of Famer, but if Edgar Martinez isn't getting in then there's no way Ortiz is.

Quote:
Also, anyone have advice for elevating a ball while batting?
Don't. Line drives to the gaps is the way to go in slow pitch softball. Most of my intramural team had a bad habit of trying to hit homeruns, I just went up there looking for the biggest gaps in the defense and put the ball there.
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:22 PM   #4887
PonyFan #914857
The Pit circa 2008

With a home run off Kluber today, Matt Duffy is tied for the team lead on the Giants with 3 spring training home runs. Matt Duffy looks like this.

This team is going to hit like 50 homers all season.

He's also most likely going to be optioned to AAA even though he hit .385/.429/.654 over 52 at bats this spring, has speed, and is a decent defender because the two available bench spots are going to be filled with a terrible player who's out of options and Joaquin Arias, who is literally so bad, but he's guaranteed 1.7 million this year. The business side of baseball is so annoying.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: