User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

what amp

Yo dudes, I need a new amp bad.
My Rumble is not holding up in volume for jamming and I've got to be heard over my school's big band, and also a rock band.
For practices and sometimes gigs the school supplies a Hartke Hydrive 112c. Great amp, has shown me the graphic EQ is pretty much a must since I play upright as well. Finicky beasts, just three knobs don't cut it.
I'd be willing to buy one separate if it's under budget.
so I play jazz, stoner, punk, Tool, funk, and Foo Fighters or QOTSA style rock stuff.
I need either a pedal or a good drive channel. I like good overdrive tones.
Budget is less than $550, I have other stuff to buy for my guitar rig and stuff.
used is prefered - better deals.
has to be okay with upright.
I've found the Hartke amp on eBay for $275 and I'm leaning towards it, I just though I'd ask on here.
My current rig is in my signature.

edit: There's a '67 Blackface Bassman on my craigslist for $500. How loud would it be?

Last edited by ihartfood : 02-16-2013 at 10:35 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
RyanStorm13

Tool is totally its own genre.....That is a pretty nice 1x12 Hartke Bass Amp.

I think most people, including myself normally start with a 1x15 first.

I had a crate 1x15 as my first amp, and then later had a Behringer 1x15.

It is hard to say which is perfect when you don't have an exact budget or time limit. My first two amps were just quick-fixes, the first was spur of the moment and super awesome deal for second hand homie discount amp and bass.

I mainly play bass out my studio monitors when at home, cause I have an UX2, which came with bass effects, amps etc. They are loud for 4" BX5a speakers. But when jamming 1x15 has never been a problem. Unless a big venue with lots of people, I don't see why it wouldn't work, and if didn't I would just mic it with the singer.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Chen leik

For that price range maybe you can afford a Roland Cube 100, although I'm not sure if it's powerful enough for anything bigger than a small gig. It has an equalizer with low and high mid, a COSM modulator which is pretty good, compression, lots of effects like reverb, delay, t-wah. It's a solid amp, though not the best.
Chen leik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
2PtDescartes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
edit: There's a '67 Blackface Bassman on my craigslist for $500. How loud would it be?

I play a late 70's Silverface Bassman 70 through a 1x15 cab with a Peavey speaker in it. It's loud as shit, and sounds great. I bet that Blackface sounds a lot better and has more drive too.
2PtDescartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Sliide90027

Go for the HyDrive. It Probably has decent power and frequency response.
If there are no Genz Benz NeoX 400's around at local shops look at the Hydrive.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Yo dudes, I need a new amp badly.
My Rumble is not holding up in volume for jamming, I've got to be heard over my school's big band and a rock band.
For practices and sometimes gigs the school supplies a Hartke Hydrive 112c. Great amp, has shown me the graphic EQ is pretty much a must since I play upright as well; finicky beasts, just three knobs don't cut it.
I'd be willing to buy one separate if it's under budget.
so I play jazz, stoner, punk, Tool, funk, and Foo Fighters or QOTSA style rock stuff.
I need either a pedal or a good drive channel, I like good overdrive tones.
Budget is less than $550, I have other stuff to buy for my guitar rig.
Used is prefered for better deals.
It has to be okay with upright.
I've found the Hartke amp on eBay for $275 and I'm leaning towards it, I just thought that I'd ask on here.
My current rig is in my signature.

*Which amp.

I've listed a load of decent amps in the sticky thread: "The Thread of Cheap Gigging Amps." You need at least 300w to be heard in a rock band, maybe a little less if you use a 4x10 cab. Hartke are decent amps but remember that they colour your tone quite a bit, thankfully they're very cheap.

I would reccomend looking for a second hand TC Electronic head with Toneprint and hooking it up to a 4x10 cab of your choice. That way you get the volume, the EQ and the overdrive.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91

I would reccomend looking for a second hand TC Electronic head with Toneprint and hooking it up to a 4x10 cab of your choice. That way you get the volume, the EQ and the overdrive.

this

don't forget to check out your local pawn shops/guitar shops, even guitar center can have some pretty good deals for gig-worthy gear if you're lucky
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

hey cool, thanks guys.
I check local shops fairly often and GC's used like every day in case something pops up.
I've got some new stuff to look for. thanks again!

Rate This Thread: