User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
METAL_MAN135
Hates his username.

Ipad as additional mixer/fader

Hey guys;

I did a quick search and it seems everyone wants to use their ipads to actually record.

What I want to do is instead of buying another Korg Nano with the drum pads, I hoped there would be a way to use an app on my ipad to achieve the same result (obviously without pressure response though).

What seems to be the biggest issue is my PC does not have wifi on it, so I cant create an adhoc network for the ipad to feed off.

Because of this, I have run out of ideas. I was considering buying a new interface, but I really love mine, and honestly, the reason I wanted to use the ipad was because it would be cheaper than another USB Korg; a new interface would not be cheaper at all. (The one I have is a Line 6 POD GX, I really like it.)

What do you recommend I do, RnR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
METAL_MAN135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Buy a WIFI card. Honestly, it's your cheapest option.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

The iPad is an awesome auxiliary studio tool for a wide variety of applications. Using MIDI and OSC protocols, they can be used as drum pads, aux sequencers, DAW controller, extended MIDI performance controllers (physics based, dimension based, etc), the list goes on and on.

Some apps you may be interested in for what you're looking for:
- V-Control (DAW control interface)
- TouchOSC / Lemur (fully programmable/customizable environment for building controllers)
- Tabletop (native DAW with a variety of MIDI interfaces, including drumpads, step sequencers, etc)
- Alchemy - A synth with some great alternative control methods.

But regarding your LAN problem, you should invest in a router. Adhoc isn't supported in most apps.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
METAL_MAN135
Hates his username.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
The iPad is an awesome auxiliary studio tool for a wide variety of applications. Using MIDI and OSC protocols, they can be used as drum pads, aux sequencers, DAW controller, extended MIDI performance controllers (physics based, dimension based, etc), the list goes on and on.

Some apps you may be interested in for what you're looking for:
- V-Control (DAW control interface)
- TouchOSC / Lemur (fully programmable/customizable environment for building controllers)
- Tabletop (native DAW with a variety of MIDI interfaces, including drumpads, step sequencers, etc)
- Alchemy - A synth with some great alternative control methods.

Thanks a lot; this is an excellent list.

Quote:
But regarding your LAN problem, you should invest in a router. Adhoc isn't supported in most apps.

I have used rtpMIDI over the router; at 1am when noone else is on the network, it was working pretty swell. Tried it again this morning thinking I had an optimum solution, and holy god the latency was too much; probably a good 3 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Buy a WIFI card. Honestly, it's your cheapest option.

I am thinking a cheap one will have issues similar to running through the router as I have been doing, unless I purchase a good one. Which in turn leads to what Xiaoxi said; not all apps support it.

I might just have to deal with the latency issues, I guess. But for 50$ I can still get one of the Nanos.

Here is another question; what if, rather than an adhoc network, I get a wifi card, and use virtual router to make a dedicated network for the ipad, fooling it into thinking its a physical network, rather than an adhoc. Because itll only exist for the ipad, noone else can be on it, and the latency should be non existent, yes?

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL_MAN135
I am thinking a cheap one will have issues similar to running through the router as I have been doing, unless I purchase a good one. Which in turn leads to what Xiaoxi said; not all apps support it...

Here is another question; what if, rather than an adhoc network, I get a wifi card, and use virtual router to make a dedicated network for the ipad, fooling it into thinking its a physical network, rather than an adhoc. Because itll only exist for the ipad, noone else can be on it, and the latency should be non existent, yes?

I had a $30 Netgear Wireless Adapter that I picked up from Wal-Mart that I had no problems with doing an adhoc network. I was using AC7-Core Mini on my iPhone 4S. I had about a quarter second of delay but I was running a slower computer at the time.

As for not doing AdHoc, I'd check with the specific program. Some may do it, some wont.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

There are midi interfaces for the iPad that may solve your problem, assuming your interface has midi capabilities. I know IK make one in the same series as the iRig, but there are probably others. Most of those should cost less than a new Korg unit. Then again, you might as well spend the extra few bucks for pressure sensitivity and no dependence on battery life.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL_MAN135
I have used rtpMIDI over the router; at 1am when noone else is on the network, it was working pretty swell. Tried it again this morning thinking I had an optimum solution, and holy god the latency was too much; probably a good 3 seconds.

While I'm not familiar with rtpMIDI specifically, I suspect that the latency isn't due to the MIDI connection itself. MIDI data packets are extremely small, and they should have no problem instantaneously going through even a busy network. So either your router's port settings are prohibiting the traffic or the audio driver settings on your computer are not optimized.

Also, keep in mind that many MIDI enabled apps have their own proprietary MIDI connection bridge.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 03-13-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
METAL_MAN135
Hates his username.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
I had a $30 Netgear Wireless Adapter that I picked up from Wal-Mart that I had no problems with doing an adhoc network. I was using AC7-Core Mini on my iPhone 4S. I had about a quarter second of delay but I was running a slower computer at the time.
Ill see if I can find one even cheaper than that; if I can, Ill def give it a try. AC7 was another app I was told would be good for what I want; so its good to know it works well in the environment I will put it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid McCall
There are midi interfaces for the iPad that may solve your problem, assuming your interface has midi capabilities. I know IK make one in the same series as the iRig, but there are probably others. Most of those should cost less than a new Korg unit. Then again, you might as well spend the extra few bucks for pressure sensitivity and no dependence on battery life.

Unfortunately my interface only has 3 1/4 inch, and nothing else. I have looked extensively into those interfaces; unfortunately they all require an interface.

Quote:
While I'm not familiar with rtpMIDI specifically, I suspect that the latency isn't due to the MIDI connection itself. MIDI data packets are extremely small, and they should have no problem instantaneously going through even a busy network. So either your router's port settings are prohibiting the traffic or the audio driver settings on your computer are not optimized.

I see. Perhaps I should spend some time configuring the solution I already have instead of looking for a new one.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: