Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Erra93
erriuyai

Interlude in C# Minor [Epic]

Just epic, not sure if it would class as metalcore, if it would and it sucks, I'm sorry, I hope it's not too bland. I'm very happy with it though (maybe not the glitch drums in the beginning, not sure about those)!

Any criticism is welcome and appreciated!

Edit: Made a completely new song of the added parts in "4. INTERLUDE i C# minor P-HxC parts.gp5", it's the file with the title "_a P-HxC parts (new song).gp5"
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 4. INTERLUDE i C# minor.gp5 (35.5 KB, 265 views)
File Type: gp5 4. INTERLUDE i C# minor v2.gp5 (35.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: gp5 4. INTERLUDE i C# minor P-HxC parts.gp5 (59.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: gp5 _a P-HxC parts (new song).gp5 (41.2 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Erra93 : 03-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

Tbh, I quite liked it and I'm no metalcore fan. My main criticism would be that it doesn't really seem to progress much. Shake it up a little!
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
frankibo
UG Board King

If you're writing in the key of C# minor, why not just have your guitar in drop C#?

Colossus
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Erra93
erriuyai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor's Child
Tbh, I quite liked it and I'm no metalcore fan. My main criticism would be that it doesn't really seem to progress much. Shake it up a little!

Because it didn't progress much, I choose to have it as an interlude, but I guess that might be stupid reasoning so I'll see what I can do about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
If you're writing in the key of C# minor, why not just have your guitar in drop C#?

Because I can't tune my guitar to drop C# with the strings that are currently on them, I simply write most of my songs in Drop C for convenience' sake
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

There is nothing about this that I don't like, but I do have suggestions.
I like each part of the instrumentation, and I like each new part that comes in as it goes on, but I think you need to also shake up the parts that are there from the beginning as it goes on. For instance, around bar 13 you could add some different notes to the tapping. At bar 21 you could start doing chugged versions of the same chords. At 29 you could add new notes and make new melodies on the synth strings and/or the octave guitar. Just some ideas to shake it up. Also, I wouldn't make it an interlude. I would make it the end to an entire song, only because as a listener I tend to skip over the short interlude tracks.

C4C? Look at my full album tab in the sig (if it doesn't crash your Guitar Pro because it's huge) and just comment on whichever song you feel like.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar

Last edited by Macabre_Turtle : 01-28-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Ometh
nobody

I guess I'll crit this.

Nice tap lick but the drums are trully horrible in the first four bars. The synth at 3 clashes a bit with the lick. You should change the D# notes to E's: it sounds better and it's a nice little change in the lick. Nice backing chords from 5 to 12: the drumming is pretty basic but it works. Some nice octaves enter the mix, dig it. The synth kicks one octave up, but the basic nature of the drums don't reallys stop it from being tiresome. The single note riff at 29 is koo'. It fades out pretty quickly after that: I'm guessing it's unfinished as of now.
Tbh it reminds me a bit of some of the new ideas I got for my one man project, and I dig it, but you could expand this alot further withouth getting tiresome: just do bigger crescendos and work on similar but not equal riffs to add to the progression of the piece. Also, moar pretty weedly woodly licks, maybe with a bit of delay/reverb.
I hope you get what I'm saying, my english skills have really deteriorated these last few months. 7/10.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Erra93
erriuyai

PS! Updated version and another version which I'm unsure of (which I'm probably not going to use at all) have been uploaded (obviously ver2 is the updated and P-HxC parts is the one with parts I'm unsure if they even fit)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
There is nothing about this that I don't like, but I do have suggestions.
I like each part of the instrumentation, and I like each new part that comes in as it goes on, but I think you need to also shake up the parts that are there from the beginning as it goes on. For instance, around bar 13 you could add some different notes to the tapping. At bar 21 you could start doing chugged versions of the same chords. At 29 you could add new notes and make new melodies on the synth strings and/or the octave guitar. Just some ideas to shake it up. Also, I wouldn't make it an interlude. I would make it the end to an entire song, only because as a listener I tend to skip over the short interlude tracks.

C4C? Look at my full album tab in the sig (if it doesn't crash your Guitar Pro because it's huge) and just comment on whichever song you feel like.

Things have been taken into consideration and I have changed things up a bit, it does sound more interesting now! I've been trying to make it a full song, but I'm having trouble finding inspiration for it, so I'm just letting it sit for now, might give it a try again tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
I guess I'll crit this.

Nice tap lick but the drums are trully horrible in the first four bars. The synth at 3 clashes a bit with the lick. You should change the D# notes to E's: it sounds better and it's a nice little change in the lick. Nice backing chords from 5 to 12: the drumming is pretty basic but it works. Some nice octaves enter the mix, dig it. The synth kicks one octave up, but the basic nature of the drums don't reallys stop it from being tiresome. The single note riff at 29 is koo'. It fades out pretty quickly after that: I'm guessing it's unfinished as of now.
Tbh it reminds me a bit of some of the new ideas I got for my one man project, and I dig it, but you could expand this alot further withouth getting tiresome: just do bigger crescendos and work on similar but not equal riffs to add to the progression of the piece. Also, moar pretty weedly woodly licks, maybe with a bit of delay/reverb.
I hope you get what I'm saying, my english skills have really deteriorated these last few months. 7/10.

Hahaha, yeah the drums are awful, they're pretty much just placeholders at this time!
Changed the D#'s to E's at bar 3, does indeed sound better that way, thank you!
I will change up the drums to make them more interesting asap!
Thanks a lot mate, I will do my best at expanding on this song and make it huge!

Your English is fine, haha

PS! Updated version and another version which I'm unsure of (which I'm probably not going to use at all) have been uploaded (obviously ver2 is the updated and P-HxC parts is the one with parts I'm unsure if they even fit)!

Last edited by Erra93 : 03-12-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Ometh
nobody

Holy crap, I really like the new parts you added on the third file. I honestly believe they're acutally better than the old riffs/song. You have the material for a great song IMO, you just need to work on transitions for those couple of riffs in the beginning, maybe add some more of that style, and use the old riffs as a recurring theme and outro.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Erra93
erriuyai

Quote:
Holy crap, I really like the new parts you added on the third file. I honestly believe they're acutally better than the old riffs/song. You have the material for a great song IMO, you just need to work on transitions for those couple of riffs in the beginning, maybe add some more of that style, and use the old riffs as a recurring theme and outro.

Haha, I'm not sure whether you're talking about the riffs early on in the third file (1-18) or if you're talking about the interlude/outro part (from label "glitch drumz" and on)?

In other words, should I use the interlude/outro part for another song and make the other riffs a whole new song?

Thanks though, means a lot!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erra93
Haha, I'm not sure whether you're talking about the riffs early on in the third file (1-18) or if you're talking about the interlude/outro part (from label "glitch drumz" and on)?

In other words, should I use the interlude/outro part for another song and make the other riffs a whole new song?

Thanks though, means a lot!

That part. And I meant to say for you to use the new riffs and build from them but use the old part as a recurring theme and outro.
EDIT: On the same song obv.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Erra93
erriuyai

Quote:
That part. And I meant to say for you to use the new riffs and build from them but use the old part as a recurring theme and outro.
EDIT: On the same song obv.

Aah, I tried to merge them together into something comprehensible, but I failed, so instead I just added more parts to the new riffs and made a completely new song, if you're too tired to crit, a good/bad answer is awesome still!
Old 03-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Dregen
andy, you're a star

this was cool, liked the constant rhythmic variation a lot. i don't quite get the random break at 46, but it still sounds all right haha
Dregen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erra93
Aah, I tried to merge them together into something comprehensible, but I failed, so instead I just added more parts to the new riffs and made a completely new song, if you're too tired to crit, a good/bad answer is awesome still!

I'm never too tired lol, more like too lazy. And I'll give this a proper crit for shure later today.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Ometh
nobody

I never do two crits on the same song, so I guess you're a lucky fella Erra93.

I like the intro riff. The progression is quite uplifting, but the Koto thing (what's that? I googled it and it looks funky) doesn't really add much IMO. I mean, it's there for 4 bars. I like the use of 5/4 on the third bar, throws you off a bit, and how the riffs interchange and switch chord progressions rather quickly. Reminds me of Shai Hulud quite a bit. The drums do seem a bit bland: more fills and diffenret cymbal usage would be cool. The chorus is just full of awesome, really dig the octaves.19 is great too. Riff starting at 23 is really groovy and I like the odd chord usage here. 31/34 is an awesome transition to the next part, starting at 35. Love the backing chords and the lead is really sweet. The transition to 46 throws you off a bit, and the next groovy riff at 46/48 feels kinda pointless really. It's not as good as the prevous riffs too, I would just remove it. Repetition of the chorus, still sounding good. The ending was ok, but kind of disappointing tbh. I was expecting something really big and pretty lol.
Overall 7.5/10. The ending could use some work, and some of the transitions are iffy. I like the structure as it is, slightly unpredictable but still nice.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Erra93
erriuyai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregen
this was cool, liked the constant rhythmic variation a lot. i don't quite get the random break at 46, but it still sounds all right haha

Thanks matey! The random break's just there for the ridiculousness!

Quote:
I never do two crits on the same song, so I guess you're a lucky fella Erra93.

I like the intro riff. The progression is quite uplifting, but the Koto thing (what's that? I googled it and it looks funky) doesn't really add much IMO. I mean, it's there for 4 bars. I like the use of 5/4 on the third bar, throws you off a bit, and how the riffs interchange and switch chord progressions rather quickly. Reminds me of Shai Hulud quite a bit. The drums do seem a bit bland: more fills and diffenret cymbal usage would be cool. The chorus is just full of awesome, really dig the octaves.19 is great too. Riff starting at 23 is really groovy and I like the odd chord usage here. 31/34 is an awesome transition to the next part, starting at 35. Love the backing chords and the lead is really sweet. The transition to 46 throws you off a bit, and the next groovy riff at 46/48 feels kinda pointless really. It's not as good as the prevous riffs too, I would just remove it. Repetition of the chorus, still sounding good. The ending was ok, but kind of disappointing tbh. I was expecting something really big and pretty lol.
Overall 7.5/10. The ending could use some work, and some of the transitions are iffy. I like the structure as it is, slightly unpredictable but still nice.

Chappy, you're real nice for doing it. I appreciate it, thanks!
I have no idea lol, I just like the sound of it anyway, I'm probably going to remove it, yeah..
Cool, I should probably listen to more Shai Hulud then!
Drums could definitely use some changez, yepyep, will do that before I try to record it!

Thanks again, I value your crits and will work on drums + outro and some of the transitions!

Rate This Thread: