Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #41
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
I know he was trolling. And I was being sarcastic (why would I click a troll's links?).

You should have clicked on that one actually.

Quote:
Yeah man, I must be arrogantly stupid about good metal. DragonForce is obviously the pinnacle of human achievement. Anyone who has an opinion about music that differs from yours is obviously arrogant. In addition, anyone who ignores sticky metal rec threads must be stupid because its not as though a person might want opinions outside of the ones already posted there.
You are god, and I will silently fellate you while cooking you a steak.

@ that bolded part. DF is terrible.

I don't care if you have a different opinion. I actually like some of the bands you posted. But you can't post those type of bands and expect us to be like, "Oh, hey...we can make recommendations." That's why people are either making broad rec's or just trolling you.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #42
arabmetallion

Quote:
Yeah man, there's definitely some good Metallica. I don't agree with the band's politics AT ALL, but they make some good music. Some.

Metallica and politics? are you sure you aren't confusing them with Megadeth?? The only time they've ever dabbled with politics was with justice, but even then it wasn't specific to any single party or political position. I personally couldn't give a rats ass about what politics a band are into as long as the music's great lol but that's just me.

Quote:
I guess what I mean by thrash and shred is just what (to me) seems like mindless competitions in who can play guitar solos or drum the fastest. Its not a competition, people. A crazy fast riff here and there can be good, but I think its tasteless when the entire song is a race to see who can break the sound barrier on their kick drums or flying v guitar. There's no contrast to the speed demonry when its done that way, ya kno?.

I totally agree with you, I'm not a big fan of shred for that very reason [although there is some tasteful shred out there too]. Now thrash is necessarily fast but the best bands aren't the the ones that aim to be the fastest. There's allot of shitty thrash out there but the good thrash is some of the best music the metal genre has to offer.

Quote:
I should also mention that I was really into Incubus (their old, old stuff was kind of metal-y. Kind of..). Deftones, Chevelle, Tool, some APC....

ahhh that would've been helpful, judging by those band you should start looking at some alt Metal or some lighter prog metal. I think you'll definitely like Alice in Chains if you haven't listened to them already
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50

Last edited by arabmetallion : 05-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #43
sysD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax

Check out some Post-Metal. Neurosis, Isis, and Cult of Luna are good places to start.

Neurosis is gooood. I was really into them when I was in highschool.

bomb shit (skip to oathbreaker part if you're lazy :p)
Aren't they classified as stoner/doom metal? This is what I'm talking about, there's a million subgenres of metal. Who can keep em straight?

Cult of Luna is okay, I suppose. The over the top screaming kind of kills it for me. Its good music, I guess its not just my thing.

I might grab Oceanic by Isis. It isn't bad.

Last edited by sysD : 05-05-2013 at 11:04 PM.
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #44
sysD

Quote:
You should have clicked on that one actually.

@ that bolded part. DF is terrible.

I don't care if you have a different opinion. I actually like some of the bands you posted. But you can't post those type of bands and expect us to be like, "Oh, hey...we can make recommendations." That's why people are either making broad rec's or just trolling you.

Alright, that's fair.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #45
sysD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabmetallion
Metallica and politics? are you sure you aren't confusing them with Megadeth?? The only time they've ever dabbled with politics was with justice, but even then it wasn't specific to any single party or political position. I personally couldn't give a rats ass about what politics a band are into as long as the music's great lol but that's just me.

I totally agree with you, I'm not a big fan of shred for that very reason [although there is some tasteful shred out there too]. Now thrash is necessarily fast but the best bands aren't the the ones that aim to be the fastest. There's allot of shitty thrash out there but the good thrash is some of the best music the metal genre has to offer.

ahhh that would've been helpful, judging by those band you should start looking at some alt Metal or some lighter prog metal. I think you'll definitely like Alice in Chains if you haven't listened to them already

I should've clarified about the Metallica thing. I was really anti-Metallica a while ago because of their stance on music downloaders.

Alice in Chains I haven't been living under a rock bro XD
I'm really into alt rock, its what I play. Prog rock is great, I'm getting into that too. I wanted to kind of broaden my horizons, though.

I suppose I shouldn't ask people to throw out alt rock bands they like in a metal forum as that's a bit off topic. But if you want to, go for it!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #46
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Aren't they classified as stoner/doom metal?

Nope.

Quote:
This is what I'm talking about, there's a million subgenres of metal. Who can keep em straight (other than crazysam23_Atax, of course).

If you want to learn about the basic subgenres of Metal, then just pop into the various threads on those subgenres and ask for a few rec's. The best way to learn about music is to listen.

Quote:
Cult of Luna is okay, I suppose. The over the top screaming kind of kills it for me. Its good music, I guess its not just my thing.

Even if you don't like the vocals, the rest of the music makes it worth it. Post-Metal is a very dense genre, meaning that there's a lot of layers to the compositions.

Quote:
I might grab Oceanic by Isis. It isn't bad.

That's a good one.

Edit:
Also, I'm really not trying to be a dick. It's just that you came off as one of those people who trolls the Metal forum initially.

Btw, again, not trying to be a dick...but it is actually against the UG forum rules to double post. I'd advise you to use the edit button whenever possible.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #47
sysD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE

LOL. I can't take this seriously. I can see why you like it, but it isn't my thing. Although the change at 0:18 really caught my ear.

Quote:
Nope.

If you want to learn about the basic subgenres of Metal, then just pop into the various threads on those subgenres and ask for a few rec's. The best way to learn about music is to listen.

Even if you don't like the vocals, the rest of the music makes it worth it. Post-Metal is a very dense genre, meaning that there's a lot of layers to the compositions.

That's a good one.

Edit:
Also, I'm really not trying to be a dick. It's just that you came off as one of those people who trolls the Metal forum initially.

Btw, again, not trying to be a dick...but it is actually against the UG forum rules to double post. I'd advise you to use the edit button whenever possible.

Haha, not trolling. Just ignorant about a lot of metal.
I'll edit instead of posting again from now on. It was the easiest way to respond to individual posts, but now I'll just copypasta and manually multiquote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by way Of the dodo
The ocean collective's last 3 albums, corelia, friend for a foe, returning we hear the larks, skyharbor most the of the aforementioned bands. Really for your specifications just google prog metal.

Not really into ocean collective.

Good call on corelia. Grabbing Nostalgia right now.

I like Friend for a Foe

I can't seem to find the album ANYWHERE though.

returning we hear the larks is pretty sweet. here's their bandcamp: http://returningwehearthelarks.bandcamp.com/

notsomuch into skyharbor

god rec's though, thanks bro.

Last edited by sysD : 05-05-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #48
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Evans Blue, and Egypt Central.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #49
way Of the dodo

way Of the dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #50
sysD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Evans Blue, and Egypt Central.

I got into Breaking Benjamin back when they were on the Halo soundtrack and I was still a gamer. They're good.

Three Days Grace had their day (about ten years ago). It didn't take long for everyone to notice that almost all of their songs were exactly the same.

Graveyard of Empires by Evans Blue is a good song. Its an instrumental, though. Strings and keys.

My problem with all of these bands (including egypt central) is that they seem really one-dimensional a lot of the time. They're like the Jack Nicholsons of hard rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by way Of the dodo

thanks!!

Last edited by sysD : 05-06-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #51
arabmetallion

Quote:
I should've clarified about the Metallica thing. I was really anti-Metallica a while ago because of their stance on music downloaders.

Alice in Chains I haven't been living under a rock bro XD
I'm really into alt rock, its what I play. Prog rock is great, I'm getting into that too. I wanted to kind of broaden my horizons, though.

I suppose I shouldn't ask people to throw out alt rock bands they like in a metal forum as that's a bit off topic. But if you want to, go for it!

just checking lol. Maybe metal just isn't your thing, I mean some of those bands you mentioned can be considered alt Metal but what primarily attracts people to metal is the aggression and heaviness. Alt Metal to me is a borderline genre, it's got certain characteristics of metal but isn't really full blown in your face metal so to speak.
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #52
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Oh god. Fine, I'll give you a serious list. Oh, and Groundswell > Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin is coo, and the first Evans Blue record is the bees mid-00's knees.

Anacrusis

Divinity Destroyed

Scald

While Heaven Wept

Kamelot

Pain Of Salvation

School Food Punishment(Best band in the whole thread)

There.

Last edited by Morphogenesis26 : 05-06-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #53
MoogleRancha
Leck meine Hoden

Damaar, obviously

Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #54
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

I get the sneaking suspicion we've had this thread before.

Incidentally:

Quote:
queensryche is NOT my thing. it forcibly reminded me of that meme with the sweaty 40 year old slaying cougar bitches with his rainbow keytar.

blind guardian is the worst thing i have ever heard in my life. i hope they all get aids.

I swear on my life that if I ever find you in real life I will chain you up in a dungeon, feeding you on a slice of bread per day and slowly removing your non-vital body parts and stitching you back up without anaesthetic until I get bored with you and allow you to bleed to death over the course of days as penance for you blasphemy
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #55
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Good grief, why did none of you report this?! My eyes hurt

EDIT: Turns out you did. I should have an emergency pager for this kind of thing.

sysD, if you want more recommendations then ask in our recommendation thread. Have a read of some of the posts at the start as well, a few things might interest you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
duncang is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: