Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample246
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Man this metal is too easy! I need to challenge myself with some blues!"

Try to play SRV's Rude Mood or Little Wing or Texas Flood - blues can be insanely difficult, and in ways more difficult than metal due to the mastery you need on the attack and articulation of the notes.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
uto998
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample246
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Man this metal is too easy! I need to challenge myself with some blues!" Unless you were just chugging power chords or something....

To me, playing blues was just learning the blues scale, learning some licks, and then improvising over 12 bar blues backing tracks over and over until you got a feel for it.

I actually have found metal to be easy. For the most part. I've pretty much built up (as anyone else has) my ability to do lead parts and solos and have learned (and with the exception of sweeping, mastered) every textbook skill that I know of. I just think that blues requires more...knowledge if you will to know how to make whatever sound on the guitar you want in order to generate an overall ambiance. That is what I meant.

I also agree with _tim* that both are equally difficult in their respective ways. I don't think you can say either one is easier than the other because you will always come across some song that you will think to be harder than the previous one you learned. The journey of learning guitar never stops and I just decided to take a break from rock/metal/whatever you wanna call it and decided to become comfortable with blues. That's all.

And again, thanks to everyone else for all your comments.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #23
mycus
Tab Contributor

Hey!! You got to help with a tab?
mycus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #24
Paleo Pete

Check my post on page 3 and a few others in this thread...ignore the argument about theory.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1685845

In addition to the list Ignore posted I'll add a few

Clapton
Billy Gibbons
Joe Walsh
Duanne Allman
Jeff Healley
Johnny Winter
David Gilmour
Robin Trower

Blues is all about getting a message across. It's not about technique, scales, speed, technical ability. It comes from somewhere inside, let your fingers do the walking and try to make it say something.

A few specific songs are listed in the other thread in my post. Also look up some old standards

Rock Me Baby
Stormy Monday (Allman Brothers did a great version)
Key To the Highway (Clapton's Layla album, several other good ones)
Sweet Home Chicago
Old 09-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #25
wolflen
one note away from satori

start with Robert Johnson and work up to muddy waters and howlin wolf..there will be several hundred players in between...

one name not mentioned...Roy Buchanan..a very special treat if your not familiar with him

wolf
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #26
Paleo Pete

OH damn I didn't think of that, Roy Buchanan is a great player...or was, he's not with us any more, suicide in a jail cell if I remember correctly.

I like the studio version better...you might see if it's there too.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #27
edg

Blues is really simple. Almost stupidly simple. Major blues is just 3 chords for the most part, over and over and over again. I really don't like listening to a lot of it because it wears my ear out pretty quick as its all the same. I'd rather listen to a lot of Korn, Slipknot, Clown Posse... whatever . But for teaching I like blues because it IS so simple.

For starters, I wouldn't even think about the pentatonic scale. Just try and play really strong, simple notes (the 1-3-5 major notes) and play the chord changes. If you get good at expressing that, which is not very hard, add pentatonic and other scales after that. If you hit the changes with authority, it REALLY sounds like you know what you're doing to those listening, and you don't even have to think about it very much with a little practice.

Recordings:
https://soundcloud.com/edgoldman/
edg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:42 PM   #28
jerrykramskoy
Tab Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tim*
Also guys I recommend you to listen to Fred Chapellier. He's a french blues player, and honestly, he's one of my favourite guitarists. Nobody knows him, but he's just fantastic IMO.

Here is a song he wrote for Gary Moore. It's just amazing

Can hear loads of Gary Moore influence here.

Very good friend of mine played keyboards with the Gary Moore band up till he passed away.

Rate This Thread: