Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #1181
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Hi guys, just wanted to share my latest production. This was probably the most intense production I have done. I 100% built this from the ground up. I transcribed the song by ear, recorded guitar, bass and vocals myself, edited everything including drum and keyboard MIDI, mixed and finally mastered.

I have also made a complete set of raw stems available for download for you guys to practice with, which I will link below.

https://soundcloud.com/charlie-munr...-osiris/s-7CJvf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnkvb2pz7...0Stems.zip?dl=0
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #1182
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Great job,man!

In my opinion,the mix is almost flawless. The vocals...maybe,just maybe could be a bit louder,but that's it. The kick is a bit too clicky for my taste,but again,that's propably just me

All in all,awesome job!

Oh,and you absolutely nailed the solo,you're a great player. Keep it up!

PS:My song is in the latest post.
GuitarManiac110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #1183
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

First time doing "epic" orchestral stuff,mixing this was a pain. Give me some feedback/tips on the mixing and the composition and C4C naturally!

Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/the-incursion
OR
Youtube:

Last edited by GuitarManiac110 : 01-30-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #1184
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarManiac110
Great job,man!

In my opinion,the mix is almost flawless. The vocals...maybe,just maybe could be a bit louder,but that's it. The kick is a bit too clicky for my taste,but again,that's propably just me

All in all,awesome job!

Oh,and you absolutely nailed the solo,you're a great player. Keep it up!

PS:My song is in the latest post.

Cheers, I have had the same feedback elsewhere about turning up the vocals so I will watch for that next time.

The only track I can see that you have linked here is The Long Road which I gave a crit for on the last page, if you have another please post and I'll have a listen.

EDIT: Ignore me, I'll listen to the one you just put up!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #1185
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

I would bring the guitar down when the strings come in, it seems to draw focus away.

Could maybe do with a bit more low end during the build up before the quiet outro.

I can't think of a huge amount to say apart from that as I have never mixed anything like that. Love this kind of music though, very Two Steps From Hell-ish.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #1186
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
I would bring the guitar down when the strings come in, it seems to draw focus away.

Could maybe do with a bit more low end during the build up before the quiet outro.

I can't think of a huge amount to say apart from that as I have never mixed anything like that. Love this kind of music though, very Two Steps From Hell-ish.

Thanks! A friend of mine also mentioned the lack of low end,need to watch out for that in the future! The guitars were actually lower in the mix first but then for some reason I dediced that they need to be louder,oh well,live and learn...
Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #1187
BKSlash

Quote:
First time doing "epic" orchestral stuff,mixing this was a pain. Give me some feedback/tips on the mixing and the composition and C4C naturally!

Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/the-incursion
OR
Youtube:

I won't be great help with mixing feedback, but, damn, this sounds amazing!

Would love if anyone could leave a bit of feedback about my mixing on this:
https://soundcloud.com/assafle/meta...e-matters-cover
BKSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:18 AM   #1188
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Thanks,BKSlash! Nice cover,btw. The only thing that caught my ear was the lack of vibrato in your lead playing and vibrato is THE most important thing in lead playing!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #1189
BKSlash

Quote:
Thanks,BKSlash! Nice cover,btw. The only thing that caught my ear was the lack of vibrato in your lead playing and vibrato is THE most important thing in lead playing!

Thanks I'll keep that in mind
BKSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #1190
hannifroehlich

Hey Folks, I'd like to get some thoughts on my latest single, "Freedom Soon Will Come". What do you thin about the quality of the recording and mastering and furthermore what are your opinions on the song (musically und lyricly)? Thanks, Good Luck

You can check out the Song here:
https://play.spotify.com/album/6fBdkBA7rXxcdNMtAecFMd

Last edited by hannifroehlich : 02-16-2016 at 01:14 PM. Reason: inserting link
hannifroehlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #1191
FinChords

Hi! I'm just learning mixing and put up one backing track (that i actually made just for my self), but after uploading it in to youtube i realized that hi-hat is almost gone. It was too quiet already but i have a strong feeling that youtube did something to the sound quality. Has anyone else faced this kind of problem?
Please, give me critic. What else i'm doing wrong?
For this one i used Reaper, EzMix, and EzDrummer. Only kick and snare (top) were on their own channel to play with EzMix.

Last edited by FinChords : 03-01-2016 at 05:27 AM.
FinChords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #1192
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Ah,a fellow Finn!

Youtube isn't necessarily the best place to upload music,everything that goes there gets compressed to death and probably EQ:d. Hope that answers your questions.

On to the critic then:Try using less gain in the guitars,too much makes the mix muddy. They're also a bit too loud compared to rest of the mix,lower the volume a bit and you'll get more clarity. This could be just me,but I think that your bass is a bit out of tune/bad intonation in some places,which further increases the muddiness. Drum tones are actually pretty nice and the backing track itself is good. Nice job!

This is my Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi If metal/rock is your thing then I'd suggest you take a listen at the song titled "the Long Road". If you're more into cinematic stuff then "the Incursion" is for you!
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #1193
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Back with another track,this time it has smooth bass lines! I suck at fingerstyle,though...

For the goodies follow this link:https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/water-drops

Feedback wanted and naturally,C4C!
Old 03-15-2016, 03:58 AM   #1194
Dzamija

Quote:
Back with another track,this time it has smooth bass lines! I suck at fingerstyle,though...

For the goodies follow this link:https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/water-drops

Feedback wanted and naturally,C4C!

Really digging the bass tone, actually. I think that the guitar is just a taaaaaaaaaad too loud, but that could really just be my speakers. Makes the mids kind of stand out a bit too much, methinks. All in all, great job!

Here's mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9fmhupih...20fate.mp3?dl=1

Got this track off of Cambridge's "Mixing Secrets" so I gave it a go. I decided that I didn't want to use a limiter at all this time, the level sits comfortably at -0.2 dB and absolutely nothing is squishing it down, save for a mix bus compressor on some real easy settings just to glue the mix together a bit. Let me know what you think and of course, C4C as always!

Last edited by Dzamija : 03-15-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Dzamija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #1195
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzamija
Really digging the bass tone, actually. I think that the guitar is just a taaaaaaaaaad too loud, but that could really just be my speakers. Makes the mids kind of stand out a bit too much, methinks. All in all, great job!

Here's mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9fmhupih...20fate.mp3?dl=1

Got this track off of Cambridge's "Mixing Secrets" so I gave it a go. I decided that I didn't want to use a limiter at all this time, the level sits comfortably at -0.2 dB and absolutely nothing is squishing it down, save for a mix bus compressor on some real easy settings just to glue the mix together a bit. Let me know what you think and of course, C4C as always!

The track sounds absolutely sweet. I would personally like to have a bit more gain on the rhythm guitars,but that's just my preference. Kick is also a bit muffled,it could use some of that "click",if you know what I mean. But all those aside,awesome job,dude!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #1196
Dzamija

Quote:
The track sounds absolutely sweet. I would personally like to have a bit more gain on the rhythm guitars,but that's just my preference. Kick is also a bit muffled,it could use some of that "click",if you know what I mean. But all those aside,awesome job,dude!

Yeah I never know what I want to do with the kick. Sometimes I want it clicky, sometimes I want it thumpy. Sometimes I go a little too thumpy. You're right, now that I listen to it, could use a bit more click :O Thanks, dude!

Last edited by Dzamija : 03-15-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Dzamija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #1197
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Back with another orchestral track (my second attempt) I'm quite happy with the way it came out,not 100% happy with the mix though,(mixing orchestra with one mic position is hard ) but I thought that I should release it so I can move on with my other stuff. Feedback/tips on mixing stuff like this is greatly appreciated. C4C as always.

https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/legacy
Old 04-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #1198
the chemist
Resident Session Player

Percussion is way too loud and upfront. Unless you are going for a real pounding vibe, I'd put them a bit lower in the mix to force them to the 'back' of the sound (I'm assuming you're using a VST orchestra).

If you are using a VST... other than mentioned above...

That horn at ~0:32 is a bit too present as well. I'm thinking it's a French Horn (hard to tell in a full mix and a VST but it has that French Horn smoothness to it) and it's really strident. Try dropping it just a bit. Most solos aren't that forward in classical, so bringing it down a smidge may add some real emotion to it. . AS well, I'd look to lengthening the crescendo on it; I think a slightly longer build up to the note (f? ff?) would give a bit more realism, as would a small bit of vibrato on the note once it's played.

The Vionlins/Violas on the left side a a bit too loud compared to the contra on the right side, drop them just a hair down. Once the choir comes in, they're at a good spot to accentuate the motif that you have going. I'd look at maybe doing some pizzicato in the opening of that motif until the voices start as texture.

The choir is somewhat static and bland (most likely the samples and not the notation itself), which p[erhaps settling them in a bit )much like the percussion as they're really overpowering the horns in the big epic part starting at 1:05 or so. Now, there may not be a lot of horns going on in there, but I'm fairly certain I hear a bass section in there that sounds slightly blasty that just can't be easily picked out without really focusing in.

Just curious, what resolution are you using when moving those chordal groups in that section? It may benefit from perhaps expanding the range from the pedal point which could also provide way more punch and oomph to the resolution (which IMHO could more benefit from a picardy tthird resolution, but that's me being picky).

Mix wise, just a few small adjustments.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #1199
GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor

Wow,thanks for the detailed review,you've been really helpful!

English isn't my first language,so I had to look up what you meant by resolution. Now,if I understood (hopefully) what you were asking,the chords are just A minor to G major. Really simple,(and perhaps a bit repeating) but that was pretty much what I was going for.

Thanks for the critic,Sir,really appreciated!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #1200
nyandres

Hi Guys,
I'd love some crit for this track we released earlier this week

Rate This Thread: