Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Standarduser

Different articulations

I know that Marcato is like staccato, but sustaining every note a bit(like playing a passage while doing vibrato on every note)
Staccato is ending the note quickly(like feeling good Inc bassline)
Legato is playing a passage in a flowing manner(beatles-come together or hot for teacher by van halen)
And pizzicato is pinching the notes(like RHCPs funky monks i guess?)

Im missing right now the definition of rubato, tenuto, and every other articulation which im not currently aware of. Posting an example of every articulation would be extremely helpful.
Standarduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

have you even learned to do avocato yet?
Hail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

I've always enjoyed tonguing
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
jazz_rock_feel
Banned

Wow, okay...

Marcato isn't staccato, it means "marked" or accented. Pizzicato isn't "pinching" it means plucking (versus bowing) which is everything you do on guitar seeing as there's no bow. Pizzicato isn't an articulation it's a playing technique.

Rubato means to rob time, in other words, to play with pulling and pushing the tempo (again, not an articulation, that's a tempo indication of sorts). Tenuto means to play notes full value with a slight stress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...iculation_marks
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Standarduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Wow, okay...

Marcato isn't staccato, it means "marked" or accented. Pizzicato isn't "pinching" it means plucking (versus bowing) which is everything you do on guitar seeing as there's no bow. Pizzicato isn't an articulation it's a playing technique.

Rubato means to rob time, in other words, to play with pulling and pushing the tempo (again, not an articulation, that's a tempo indication of sorts). Tenuto means to play notes full value with a slight stress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...iculation_marks

But marcato is basically vibrato isnt it?

Rubato means to like, one moment to play 80 bpm, then the next 100 bpm?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
EmilGD
Unregistered User

Marcato is absolutely not vibrato, in any way.
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standarduser

How hard can it be to do this, rather than question the knowledge of a reg?

Jeez. Sorry but... come on?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Drekkenbrein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Wow, okay...

There is pizzicato on (classical) guitar as well.

It means muting your strings with your right palm while you play.
505088K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
jazz_rock_feel
Banned

Ah, interesting. I didn't actually know that.

And

Quote:

Rubato means to like, one moment to play 80 bpm, then the next 100 bpm?

What? No, marcato is what I said it was. Rubato is more subtle than that. It's just a gentle pushing and pulling of tempo.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Standarduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
How hard can it be to do this, rather than question the knowledge of a reg?

Jeez. Sorry but... come on?

So the possibility of me reading on it online and THEN coming to this forum to confirm what ive read hasnt come to your mind?

If all you can do is "google it for u" then dont reply. Srsly.

And if Marcato isnt vibrato than what is it in the guitar? What accentuated or "marked" means?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
EmilGD
Unregistered User

Why dont you check the wiki link jrf posted? Its described very clearly.
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
So the possibility of me reading on it online and THEN coming to this forum to confirm what ive read hasnt come to your mind?

And if Marcato isnt vibrato than what is it in the guitar? What accentuated or "marked" means?

Marcato is accenting. Say there is an accent on the last eighth note of an eight note run. It would sound like this:

dah dah dah dah dah dah dah DAH!

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Subparuser

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:

you come here for help, get it, and then display an attitude? and you expect others to help you? you're funny with your "confirm". everything's been confirmed. JRF dealt with it immediately. you asked an extremely simple question that has an extremely simple answer that has been presented to you. if you want to overcomplicate it by questioning it further, enjoy your mediocrity.

i don't think we're the ones who shouldn't be posting. don't waste our time with a thread where you display nothing but your own ineptitude.

you want my genuine advice to help you improve? stop trying to break everything down into guitar player lingo and think musically, something that cataloging the definitions of words will make it difficult for you to do. go out and gain more experience listening to music and you'll find what you need. you don't yet have that, it's extremely clear.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Common sense clearly isn't that common. What with his string bending thread in GT as well. Ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #16
Standarduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
you come here for help, get it, and then display an attitude? and you expect others to help you? you're funny with your "confirm". everything's been confirmed. JRF dealt with it immediately. you asked an extremely simple question that has an extremely simple answer that has been presented to you. if you want to overcomplicate it by questioning it further, enjoy your mediocrity.

i don't think we're the ones who shouldn't be posting. don't waste our time with a thread where you display nothing but your own ineptitude.

you want my genuine advice to help you improve? stop trying to break everything down into guitar player lingo and think musically, something that cataloging the definitions of words will make it difficult for you to do. go out and gain more experience listening to music and you'll find what you need. you don't yet have that, it's extremely clear.

Saying "let me google it for u" is an unhelpful, ridiculous attempt for a troll.
Ofcourse ive read about it online.

I came here for help, not to be judged. If anyone has any problems with my questions, they can be quitet and keep thier unhelpful thoughts to themselfes. There are thousands of bad musicians out there. At least i have the decency to admit that and improve, even through medicore questions. Thats frankly the reason why there are no more threads like mine.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #17
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Saying "let me google it for u" is an unhelpful, ridiculous attempt for a troll.
Ofcourse ive read about it online.

I came here for help, not to be judged. If anyone has any problems with my questions, they can be quitet and keep thier unhelpful thoughts to themselfes. There are thousands of bad musicians out there. At least i have the decency to admit that and improve, even through medicore questions. Thats frankly the reason why there are no more threads like mine.

bad musicians get better by asking questions. but they also need to think. so many people are incapable of doing that for themselves, and that's why they stay bad musicians.

there's a big difference between "asking questions" and what you've displayed here in this thread. nobody wants to help people who have attitudes like you, and the more experienced musicians put them in their place. not to mention that the people who genuinely seek help are the ones who receive it from us -- THAT'S why there are so few threads like yours.

don't try to victimize yourself here, because i have absolutely no sympathy for people like you.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Hail
kill both bass players

did nobody like my avocado joke?
Hail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
did nobody like my avocado joke?