Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Monkey_Toes

Not sure how to proceed?

Hi,

I've just picked up my guitar again after a number of years of not going near it.
When I played before it was just chords with mates and the odd but of tab.

Basically learning little bits here and there.

Now I want tube a big more focused. where as before Iw as happy with chords and licks, I would've really like robe able to just pick up my guitar and noodle.

I know it won't be instant but that's cool, what I want to try and achieve is to develop my skills so I can just loose hours on the guitar noodling.

So. I have started reading up on theory, but not really sure on what to do for technique?

Ideally I'd like to get the theory and technique sorted so that I can listen to a solo and attempt to lift bits from it.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Monkey_Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
smc818
UG Senior Member

Really hard to say...Im went through the samething after my Gf died.
Music wasnt going to come out of me.

It's a slower process than the first time around. Becuase Im not as inspire to play.
I feel like I need to feel the music to play. Luckily Ive practice enough to know
I dont always feel like practicing to practice.

I know enough about music theory. It still helps me to brush up on it.
My hands are weaker. So I work on that.
I know enough scales and pretty much familar with the fret board but still need
to brush up on that too.
For some reason I feel I need to build my own guitar, so i would play it or
it would have some sort of life to me...becuase Ive built my own guitars.
Whatever it takes...I guess.

As long as it has something to do with music or I play my guitar everyday.
It's like a growth process,

Learn the difference between a major and minor pentatonic.

Last edited by smc818 : 01-13-2014 at 10:50 PM.
smc818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
RuiGuitar

Sort out some objectives. What are you gonna be able to do? Shred? Play fast? Creativity? Grab a piece of paper and maybe divide guitar playing into three aspects, technique, creativity and musicality. Then start typing under each segment what would you like to achieve. Take technique for instance, type down all the guitar techniques that come to your mind (hammer.on, pull-off, bending, sliding, sweep picking, legato, string skipping, etc, etc) and start to think what you wanna do with that. Let's say you want to be able to play fast, then maybe you wanna workout on alternate picking, economy picking, focus on left and right hand sync, finger independence, etc. You don't have to be able to learn everything, one step at a time, if you think you're not gonna need it don't rush into chicken picking, for instance. Do that with the other aspects, maybe for creativity you'll want to learn some licks and start jamming with backing tracks, but for that you need to learn scales, chords and that's where the musicality and technique kicks in. You'll want to be able to say something with the guitar even while jamming and at the same time you need the technique to pour some sugar into your playing. Maybe build a practice routine and tackle those aspects you find relevant for you, do some research and work your way in.

It's all about having fun
RuiGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Monkey_Toes

Thanks for the response, Rui yours sounds good.

Any tips for practice routines, I guess once I have a goal I can look for relevant practice sessions.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc818
Really hard to say...Im went through the samething after my Gf died

American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
RuiGuitar

I can give and example of my monday:

10 mins warm ups
20 right hand - alt. picking
10 mins arpeggios
10 mins sweep picking

As you can see it's basically focused on technique, as for my Thursday:

10 mins warm up (every day)
20 mins finger independence/accuracy/synchronization
30 jam/write music/learn song/work on song

It's all scheduled for 1 hour. I don't follow this religiously, however is there hanging on the wall and I can stick to it every time time I want to, but I try to. I may still switch days, if I feel (let's say) I'm not in the mood to just cover technique I'll then switch with a day which is more into jamming, writing stuff. I got a lot of stuff from UG lessons whether it was reading articles or lessons with exercises.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Monkey_Toes

Groovy.

I'll browse the lessons and columns!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
RuiGuitar

You may also want to take a look at steve vai's 30 hour workout and Petrucci's Rock discipline and Wild Stringdom:

http://www.picksnlicks.com/Guitar%2..._workout_1.html
Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
Monkey_Toes

RuiGuitar,

The responses you have provided are really helpful, particularly the more structured approach!

Thanks very much!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
RuiGuitar

Glad it helped.

Also, very important...use a metronome sticky instruments at first but once you get the hang of it starts to look natural.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
santoshvenkat

When using metronome and practicing, do you guys actually listen to the pulse.. as in.. when is it the first beat....or the second... or which beat are you currently in?

I started using a metronome and it is helpful to play in-time...but i automatically stop concentrating on what beat it is as I get into concentrating on my technique....
santoshvenkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
RuiGuitar

I think it's all about feeling the beat, not really hearing it. Obviously when playing slow you can easily track the first beats (if accentuated) but at higher tempos it starts to be tricky and it may drive yourself away from what's really important, your playing. Let's say you are playing something fast enough that it turns out to be difficult to track the beat, so per say. Imho it's easier if you start slow and work your way to that tempo instead of jumping right into it.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:32 AM   #13
santoshvenkat

Thanks RuiGuitar... Will try that....

I've been playing for some years now... But am kinda stuck in my playing not knowing how to proceed.. Lots of songs I hear mostly follow the regular 1-4-5-6m progression... with the basic chords around them.. So I can identify the songs, play chords and all that... But that is not at all satisfying.... I wanna progress to playing better lead and solos... I wanna progress into 7th chords, 9th chords, modes etc and take my playing to the next level... But don't know how to proceed to that.. Which songs to hear for 7th, 9th, 11th chords etc... Songs of bands like metallica, GnR etc have blazing fast solos which is out of my league right now... But I wanna slowly proceed to playing those.... Going back to the basics with the metronome is painful..but I guess that needs to be done to accomplish what I set out for!!
santoshvenkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: