Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Draco H.

Amp for pod hd

I got a pod hd300 and want to get a new amp that doesnt color the sound, preferably a powered amp cab. The only one i could find online is the tech 21 power engine and its $330. thats way to expensive for just a speaker so are there any cheaper ones? ive been reading forums and some people say the fender frontman 212r is good for the pod if you plug it in to the FX return. So basically i want a amp that doesnt colo the sound.
Draco H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Draco H.

also if i have to build a cab i can
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post

your probably better off with some a good pair of PA speakers then an amp to plug into.
crzywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Dazzl1113

The Tech21 is not just a speaker, its a power amp and speaker with an EQ, so given that and its special niche functionality, as well as its positive reviews its actually not overpriced in my opinion.

Any "amp" is going to reasonably significantly color the sound of your "patches" especially if you are indeed using the amp/preamp models and not just effects.

So full range/flat response (FRFR) system is what you are looking for, that is why you see so many recommendations for the T21PE.

As the other responder said, your next best bet is to get the best possible powered PA/monitor speaker your budget will allow. Mic it is you are gigging, or preferably send your direct out to the FOH and use your purchased solution as your personal monitor.

You could use a keyboard amp, or a good stage monitor as well.
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe

Last edited by Dazzl1113 : 01-30-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Dazzl1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzl1113
The Tech21 is not just a speaker, its a power amp and speaker with an EQ, so given that and its special niche functionality, as well as its positive reviews its actually not overpriced in my opinion.

Any "amp" is going to reasonably significantly color the sound of your "patches" especially if you are indeed using the amp/preamp models and not just effects.

So full range/flat response (FRFR) system is what you are looking for, that is why you see so many recommendations for the T21PE.

As the other responder said, your next best bet is to get the best possible powered PA/monitor speaker your budget will allow. Mic it is you are gigging, or preferably send your direct out to the FOH and use your purchased solution as your personal monitor.

You could use a keyboard amp, or a good stage monitor as well.

Yeah, if you're playing places big enough to have their own PAs and monitoring, just plug into the house direct. Be sure to use speaker emulation (IIRC, you can control that on PODs and Digitech MFX).

If you have your own PA, then go direct into that too, and if you need to monitor, get an in-ear system (Carvin makes affordable units), or buy a powered wedge.

No need to ever mic a speaker with this, though--you can monitor direct and go to house PA at the same time with this.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Draco H.

thx guys sounds like the tech 21 is good but im only 14 and spent all my money on my guitar and POD so i cant buy it. i think i want to build a cab using the same celestion seventy 80 speaker as the t21. any suggestions on a power amp?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Kyleisthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco H.
thx guys sounds like the tech 21 is good but im only 14 and spent all my money on my guitar and POD so i cant buy it. i think i want to build a cab using the same celestion seventy 80 speaker as the t21. any suggestions on a power amp?

"

You're going to end up spending way more than $330 if you build something similar and probably have lack-luster results.

I have a cheap Crate amp that I use for the same exact reasons, I got it for free.
I'm at work but when I get home I'll get you the model.
It's a combo that has a return for the FX loop that skips the preamp completely.
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
jetwash69

If you just need something to hear yourself, this should do the trick:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...monitor-speaker

If you need to hear yourself over a loud band at a venue, then there's this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...monitor-speaker

I got mine for about $160 on sale there a few years ago. They also have more affordable 10" and 12" models. 12" might be good enough if you're just pumping guitar thru it. I use mine to monitor/PA drums, too, so the 15" is more important for my application.

As far as I know, MF is the only place to get these; I believe Kustom makes them for MF exclusively. I've seen passive Kustom monitors elsewhere, but not the amplified ones.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

I have my line 6 X3 running straight in a Carvin HD 1000 power amp driving 2 Marshall cab's I find it prefect.

another option I have seen afriend uses is a crate power block I think it's a 150 watt power amp, you can get them for around $100 if you shop around,
it has very simple controls and he drives to 15' wedges with his.. works well.

hope you the best

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
zeek7pc

When I play with my dad's cover band I use a POD X3 Live into a crest audio CA6 power amp to drive a peavey cab with 4 v-30's. Works very well. The CA6 is way out of your price range but any PA or monitor amp will work just as well. Just make sure the amp has a input sensitivity selector switch.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
...As far as I know, MF is the only place to get these; I believe Kustom makes them for MF exclusively. I've seen passive Kustom monitors elsewhere, but not the amplified ones.

Update:

Guitar Center has the small one too.
(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...monitor-speaker)
You might even be able to try one out at your local store.

The nice thing about these is they're already powered so you don't need a seperate power amp like some of these folks are talking about. Definitely the best bang for the buck for someone trying to do it with limited resources.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Draco H.

thanks so much guys! looks like ill be getting a powered monitor, probly the one jetwash suggested.

Rate This Thread: