User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Situacao
Thrash Metal Elite

Picikng training method

Hey guys,

I'm having some trouble developing my picking and I think you guys can help me. So my problem now is that I get to, say 130 bpm and I'm playing perfectly fine, both 8th notes (downpicking) and 16th notes (alternate picking). However, when I try to play, say 135 bpm, I feel like I'm tensioning a lot of stuff that I shouldn't and it really hurts my playing, making it really sloppy.

So, my question is: How do I train my 135 bpm or faster playing? Shall I "force" it? Or shall I play it at 130 bpm over and over again (do I really evolve by practising it this way?)?

Thanks in advance mates!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Mokumo
I hate you. A lot.

I think what most people will tell you is that yes, you should work on 130 until you make no mistakes and then move on to 135 or whatever is giving you trouble. Try all sorts of finger exercises. I think what is most important is to keep practicing. If you sit down for an hour or two, or even less than that really and practice your picking exercises every day you'll be playing at 140 in no time
Member #10 of the Final Fantasy VII fan club. PM syyz1 to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGFREAK
just imagine playing slide on that wangcaster lol
Mokumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

Practice slower focusing on wrist, comfort, and smaller movements!!
Speed comes from making your movements smaller and more efficient.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
GravityJazz3

Sometimes I think playing faster than you are comfortable playing is beneficial in that it shows your weaknesses so you can work on those when you bring the tempo back down. Playing slow is where the work is done, however you need to try to play fast to know how your technique should look when you are training at the slower tempo, because your technique changes based on tempo. Especially if you aren't working with a teacher you have to be aware of the techniques you are training yourself to pull off. So I would say crank the tempo for a little bit, it's not gonna make you picking awful if you are exploring... That said try different pick angles, where your main fulcrum is, and where on the string you attack. If you put the time in you'll find a solution.
GravityJazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydawiz
Practice slower focusing on wrist, comfort, and smaller movements!!
Speed comes from making your movements smaller and more efficient.

This.

Never try to "force" the speed - Occasionally playing faster to try to break down a mental block is okay but in general you develop technique by practicing slowly and making sure your technique is good.

What changes with your picking when you move to 130bpm to 135bpm? If you can't see anything obvious, then you might just need more practice (it takes a LOT of time to get good picking technique, seriously, a LOT of time) which you should do at a slower speeds you're comfortable playing at.

If you notice something wrong with your technique (using the elbow instead of the wrist to pick, using too big motions, gripping the pick too hard and tensing up etc...) then slow down to a speed that you can completely control your picking at, and slowly work the correct technique in.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Situacao
Thrash Metal Elite

Thanks a lot for your answers, really appreciated!

So, ok, I turn it down to the speed I'm comfortable with.. And then I try to repeat the correct motion again and again and again and again? When should I take it to the "next level"?

Also, do you recommend me to start working first on my down or on my alternate picking?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Work on what you're going to use. If that means both then you should work on both.

Make sure you are making absolutely correct motions when you're practicing as well: smallest possible movements, as little tension as possible, everything perfectly coordinated. If that means you have to practice so slowly you can't do it to a metronome then so be it.

What I recommend now is pretty simple: practice slowly. All the time. Make sure you're always practicing at a speed where you can control your movements and make them as good as you can. Then, when you're done practicing play as fast as you can comfortably... that's how fast you are at that point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Situacao
Thrash Metal Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Work on what you're going to use. If that means both then you should work on both.

Make sure you are making absolutely correct motions when you're practicing as well: smallest possible movements, as little tension as possible, everything perfectly coordinated. If that means you have to practice so slowly you can't do it to a metronome then so be it.

What I recommend now is pretty simple: practice slowly. All the time. Make sure you're always practicing at a speed where you can control your movements and make them as good as you can. Then, when you're done practicing play as fast as you can comfortably... that's how fast you are at that point in time.

Ohh, I see! Thank you very much, kind sir

Rate This Thread: