Who Sh0t Ya HxO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Check this out;

It's you.
The chords for that track are;
[: Dm ///| Bb ///| C ///| Dm ///:]
[Dm ///| Bb ///| C /// | A7 / Bb C ] - middle section variation
Were you aware of those chords? Did you play the backing or is that a track you got from someplace? How did you come up with the progression?
Being aware of the harmony and targeting chord tones in your solos will make your playing much more sophisticated sounding.

Btw I hear a lot of Maiden and Yngwie influence in there

Haha I'm flattered you would go out of your way to find the chords in one of my songs.

I didn't play any of those chords though, it was just the Ab and Db strings on frets 7,9 then 3, 5, and then 5,7 if you get what I mean. They make the sound that those chords would make sure, but I'm not placing my fingers in the shapes that would be considered a Dm chord or Bb chord, etc. Or are you saying, that if chords were played with those riffs, it would be those chords you have posted, that would be played behind the riffing in order to make harmony?

I did play the backing track myself. Every thing I do in a song is from me, except the drums which are from EZ drummer. I just wanted a simple backing track so that I could solo over it. I didn't plan out a progression or anything, it's just what sounded good at the time, "guess and check" if you will.. Also good to hear the Maiden and Yngwie influence comment, but I don't fully get what people mean by influence though. Does that mean people think I TRY to play like them on purpose? or is it like a "you've listened to them a lot and so it has filled your brain with these type of melodic ideas that would be in a Maiden and Yngwie style"?

Last edited by Who Sh0t Ya HxO : 07-25-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Who Sh0t Ya HxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #102
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

Its not a bad thing to be influenced, so don't worry about it. Its when you blatantly knock off riverine that you should start worrying.

In another note, I couldn't help but notice you described power chords using fret numbers.
1. You should learn the notes on the fretboard. It will help more then anything right now.
2. You should take that knowledge, and learn how to use it to create power chords, and major/minor scales. Then chords, if you get passed this anti chord thing you've got going in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #103
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirelazarus
1. You should learn the notes on the fretboard. It will help more then anything right now.
2. You should take that knowledge, and learn how to use it to create power chords, and major/minor scales. Then chords, if you get passed this anti chord thing you've got going in.

Yep.

You said that you basically came about that progression using geusswork/trial and error - if you knew theory you would be able to deduce which chords would sound good with each other, and why. Learning the basics of your instrument would take away the geusswork. If you learned about the chords you would be able to improvise better.
And yes, you may have been playing D5, Bb5 and C5 powerchords but the progression and the soloing implied the harmony of Dm, Bb and C, you were just one string/note away from playing full chords.

And you're supposed to take the 'influence' thing as a complement. If I say you sound like you were influenced by a the sound of bag of cats being emptied onto an out-of-tune banjo, then you can take it as an insult.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 07-26-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #104
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Sh0t Ya HxO
Haha I'm flattered you would go out of your way to find the chords in one of my songs.

I didn't play any of those chords though, it was just the Ab and Db strings on frets 7,9 then 3, 5, and then 5,7 if you get what I mean. They make the sound that those chords would make sure, but I'm not placing my fingers in the shapes that would be considered a Dm chord or Bb chord, etc. Or are you saying, that if chords were played with those riffs, it would be those chords you have posted, that would be played behind the riffing in order to make harmony?

I did play the backing track myself. Every thing I do in a song is from me, except the drums which are from EZ drummer. I just wanted a simple backing track so that I could solo over it. I didn't plan out a progression or anything, it's just what sounded good at the time, "guess and check" if you will.. Also good to hear the Maiden and Yngwie influence comment, but I don't fully get what people mean by influence though. Does that mean people think I TRY to play like them on purpose? or is it like a "you've listened to them a lot and so it has filled your brain with these type of melodic ideas that would be in a Maiden and Yngwie style"?

Try this them, play the chords Hydra gave you over your own track - don't just strum them in open positions though play around and experiment with them. See if you can find a way of using them that really compliments what you've already done and hear how those extra chord tones work with what you've already done.

My suggestion is this - you've already got the lower end of the register covered with your power chords so play around with the higher notes, for example you can fret a full chord shape but just play the top three strings, or try and find some voicings higher up the neck, or even past the 12th. Remember chords aren't defined by shapes, just the notes they contain and in turn the sound they produce. SO it doesn't matter where you decided to put your fingers, if you've got the right notes you've got a chord, implied or itherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #105
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
What do you normally do with a brochure? Take a look at what they're sellin, and, if interested, buy the shit. You were lookin to shell out a ton of money for Tom Hess lessons earlier and, while I cant compare their methods as I have never been a student of either, Sean comes off as a much nicer chap with a passion for helping people who want to learn (and I assume people have spelled out the common complaints about Hess earlier in this thread - if not, searchbar his name, there are a few fun threads about him).

Yeah I'm a recent ex-student of Hess's and my view is that he's a bell-end. I asked "What is music" with a view to opening up a nice thread on how people look at music, what they think of different kinds of music, &c. Tom's advice was:

"I simply advise you all to ask a higher quality question which has a greater chance to bring value to yourself as a musician ..."

Any guitar teacher or musician that doesn't consider that question to add value to what they're doing is a bloody fool. Or someone who believes speed is more important than musicality. Tom might be lightning fast on the guitar but endless scalar passages in the style of Classical music? It was done to ****ing death. By Ritchie Blackmore. Over 30 years ago. It's dead. Just let it be. Dear God, please won't you stop flogging that poor, decomposing horse?

On top of that his constant management-speak bullshit pissed me off. Cutting the word 'luck' out of the dictionary and flushing it down the toilet because "you make your own luck" is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. You don't choose your parents, you don't choose where you grow up or what kind of environment you live in. Sure you have to work hard but to deny that luck just doesn't exist is ****ing stupid and you'd have to be a real knucklehead to ruin your dictionary just because your teacher had some kinda brainstorm today. Sure positive thinking can help - ain't nothing wrong with that - but there comes a point when it's just delusional. You can think positive all you like - if you look like Quasimodo you're not going to be in Destiny's Child.

Finally - there's a culture on Tom's forum where everything Tom says is great and you've not allowed to disagree. Well **** that. Any teacher who is unable to deal with doubt or questioning without a dogmatic response just doesn't have what it takes to be a real teacher, IMO. Real teachers aren't afraid of being wrong because they're still learning themselves.

Tom might might be a fast player, and some of his advice might be right but he doesn't tell you anything you can't find out elsewhere: Be organised, have goals, know stuff about music, practice your instrument - it's not exactly rocket science. Just because he's right sometimes doesn't mean he's not the hundredth idiot.

Last edited by Sleepy__Head : 08-20-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #106
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Not to not to mention that if I cut 'Luck' out of my dictionary I would lose the words 'low' and 'lower' on the opposite side of that page.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #107
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Not to not to mention that if I cut 'Luck' out of my dictionary I would lose the words 'low' and 'lower' on the opposite side of that page.

Indeed. And also have a ruined dictionary. And feel a bit stupid. And have a bit of paper with the word 'Luck' on it stuck to the inside of your bog.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #108
stanthepaul

I strongly advice ALL of you to not even go near this scam-artist.
You won't learn anything useful but loose a lot of money on material that you easily can find for free!
stanthepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #109
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Not this ****ing thread again.

Mods, pls close

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #110
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Ordinarily I would, but having an established Tom Hess thread has his followers some place to go rather than creating new threads.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #111
Hail
kill both bass players

at least this was just a guy agreeing with us. i hate those hess-kids who google this dumb thread to bump it
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #112
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Hail you're just jealous because I paid $16,000 for Tom Hess's ultimate sweep frenzy part.2 and can play ultra-advanced 3-string sweeps better than you.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #113
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^^ Guys what would you know?? Are you famous? Nough said.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #114
vampirelazarus
the one with four strings

Holy shit.

Where did this come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
vampirelazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #115
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

From the lowest circle of musical hell.

Tom Hess sucks. He's not even famous. And he's a jerk.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #116
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:

Tom might reply that you don't need 'low' and 'lower' in your dictionary either. Think 'HIGH' and 'HIGHER'!
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: