Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #17641
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdof
Yeah, and then Matt would choose to sing over everything instead of scream

It's not like Matt is ashamed of the music he made in the past, he just didn't want to scream on this album and probably other albums moving forward. No different than what Opeth is doing or what Avenged Sevenfold did (and the latter has made a couple songs with screaming on their post metalcore era albums). If a re-record ever happened, I'm sure he would scream.

A re-recording of EtI would be great but it would still be weaker than Vengeance Falls in my eyes. Draiman's production on VF gets way too much criticism, it sounds great, it's riffs are a bit stale but they're adequate for the groove sound they were going for. VF would also still have better lyrics and slightly better solos. I still would like to see EtI re-recorded just because the production is barely tolerable, most Trivium albums I will listen to like three times in a row before I change CDs, Crusade might get two and Ember only one because their production values are weak.

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #17642
EndTheRapture51
SK8R BOI

Burn in the flames of the fire, scream in the night like a choir

c u l8r boi
EndTheRapture51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 AM   #17643
EndTheRapture51
SK8R BOI

The bonus tracks are very good

c u l8r boi
Old 10-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #17644
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Was putting music on my iPod and since it's only an 8 gig I couldn't put my entire Trivium discography on there like I would like to. So I had to make some choices and geeked out and ranked each song by album. Here's the list in case anyone is curious or would like to chime in, I think some of my choices may cause controversy (or would if there were more people posting here). Rankings from favorite to least, and include bonus tracks but exclude covers.

Ember to Inferno:
To Burn the Eye
Pillars of Serpents
Ember to Inferno
My Hatred
If I Could Collapse the Masses
Fugue
The Storm
Requiem
Sworn
When All Light Dies
Demon
Falling to Gray

Ascendancy:
Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr
Washing Away Me in the Tides
Departure
Declaration
Drowned and Torn Asunder
Suffocating Sight
Rain
Ascendancy
The Deceived
Like Light to Flies
Blinding Tears Will Break the Skies
A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation
Dying in Your Arms

The Crusade
Broken One
Entrance of the Conflagration
Becoming the Dragon
And Sadness Will Sear
Unrepentant
Ignition
Contempt Breeds Contamination
Tread the Floods
This World Can't Tear Us Apart
Vengeance
The Crusade
Detonation
To the Rats
Anthem
The Rising

Shogun
Shogun
He Who Spawns the Furies
Like Callisto to a Star in Heaven
Down From the Sky
Into the Mouth of Hell We March
Throes of Perdition
Kirisute Gomen
Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis
The Poison, the Knife, and the Noose
Insurrection
Of Prometheus and the Crucifix
The Calamity
Upon the Shores

In Waves:
Shattering the Skies Above
Of All These Yesterdays
Dusk Dismantled
Black
Caustic Are the Ties that Bind
Inception of the End
A Skyline's Severance
In Waves
A Grey So Dark
Drowning in Slow Motion
Forsaken Not the Dream
Built to Fall
Chaos Reigns
Watch the World Burn

Vengeance Falls:
Wake
As I Am Exploding
No Way to Heal
Strife
No Hope for the Human Race
Incineration
At the End of This War
Through Blood and Dirt and Bone
Brave This Storm
Vengeance Falls
To Believe
Villainy Thrives

Silence in the Snow:
Breathe in the Flames
Dead and Gone
Cease All Your Fire
Blind Leading the Blind
Silence in the Snow
Beneath the Sun
The Ghost That's Haunting You
Until the World Goes Cold
The Darkness of My Mind
Pull Me From the Void
The Thing That's Killing Me
Rise Above the Tides

Ranking Silence in the Snow is hard right now since I'm still getting a feel for the songs and some songs my grow on me (though I think even the weakest songs are above the average, the album is so consistent) while others I could grow tired of. When Vengeance Falls came out first, I thought highly of TBaDaB and Villainy Thrives and little of Strife, but now I love Strife while the first two are just solid/meh for me. There could be more of that for SitS, the title track I enjoy even more now than when it first dropped. Ranking Shogun is hard because every track is so good.

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote:
Isis is amazing

Last edited by Gibson_SG_uzr55 : 10-08-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #17645
MeTallIcA313
Baby Please Don't Go

Got the new album today. Glad I got the deluxe edition, the bonus tracks are pretty good.
MeTallIcA313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #17646
Shredx
Inuendo King

Had a listen of the new album. Not a fan - don't get me wrong individually I really like the singles they released (title track, blind leading the blind and the other one), but as an album the song writing is SO boring and repetitive and bar the odd cool vocal thing/riff/solo I actually struggled to listen to it in one listen.

So very underwhelmed. I do think it could've been their best album since Shogun if it had more variety though, and will probably get the album and listen to the songs individually

https://benpinkusmusic.bandcamp.com/album/to-the-sky

Gear:
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Schecter C7 Blackjack
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Bugera 333XL
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Shredx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #17647
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Wrote a review for Silence in the Snow for UG, was almost done with the album when I went to hit backspace and accidentally pressed F12. Pushed F12 again to get rid of the programming thing, hit backspace, but because I had hit F12 the textbox was no longer active and backspace acted as "return to last window." The review is gone

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:

Quote:
Isis is amazing
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 AM   #17648
reliqua

This album is so different from the last again, which is a very Trivium thing to do, and I personally love every single one (but Shogun is my favorite still). Well, the new album is very vocal-centric, and way more melodic. It's very interesting to watch their musical views evolve through the years.
reliqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #17649
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

The first half of the chorus to The Thing That's Killing Me is the best thing on the album. The double-bass/snare accents with Heafy's new vibrato... Mmmm. Too bad they return to bland mid-tempo double-bass drivel for the second half of each chorus.

It's like they go "Now we CAN'T do constant streams of 16th double-bass notes with snare drum accents on the beat for TOO long or people will think we're power metal guise!"

PSN: esunax

Last edited by Kytokinesis : 10-09-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 AM   #17650
Fisheth24
I play Bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliqua at #33629542
This album is so different from the last again, which is a very Trivium thing to do, and I personally love every single one (but Shogun is my favorite still). Well, the new album is very vocal-centric, and way more melodic. It's very interesting to watch their musical views evolve through the years.

Yeah, I'm with you there.

I'm not sure if I like SITS though. It's an interesting listen to see how they've developed as a band though, especially since Silence In The Snow was written for Shogun, but left off for some reason. Wonder how many of these songs were written for the last few albums but not used.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #17651
EndTheRapture51
SK8R BOI

SITS is definitely their most poppy album so far. A lot of it is straight up radio rock and not in a bad way. It's not as brutal or technical definitely and I'd say a lot of it focuses on being catchy and groovy but it's still really good.

Vengeance Falls has some tunes (Strife is incredible especially from a lyrical perspective) but I feel they just got lost in overcomplicated songwriting so the album just doesn't hold up very well. It doesn't flow and feels the least Trivium album.

I totally get SITS (the song) being written in 2007. The intro guitar riff is so A7X-esque I see it actually being inspired by that

Overall there are a lot of songs of SITS that are quite samey but it's in general a pretty decent album and I enjoy it.

c u l8r boi
Old 10-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #17652
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
The first half of the chorus to The Thing That's Killing Me is the best thing on the album. The double-bass/snare accents with Heafy's new vibrato... Mmmm. Too bad they return to bland mid-tempo double-bass drivel for the second half of each chorus.

It's like they go "Now we CAN'T do constant streams of 16th double-bass notes with snare drum accents on the beat for TOO long or people will think we're power metal guise!"

This is for sure the biggest problem with the album. I like the tone, aesthetic, and a lot of the vocal melodies of it, but it comes off like they held back too much and stuck to what was safe. They should probably look at Soilwork for inspiration on how to do that style better, just say fuck it and go all out in terms of speed and riffing.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #17653
EndTheRapture51
SK8R BOI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
This is for sure the biggest problem with the album. I like the tone, aesthetic, and a lot of the vocal melodies of it, but it comes off like they held back too much and stuck to what was safe. They should probably look at Soilwork for inspiration on how to do that style better, just say fuck it and go all out in terms of speed and riffing.

Agreed. Good album but very tame.

Listening to Shogun again. God damn it this entire album is absolutely brilliant. A top 5 album of all time for me. They just completely nailed it and it's a defining album of modern metal for me - it's got the melody, the groove, the heaviness and the technicality in perfect amounts. Incredible album.

c u l8r boi
Old 10-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #17654
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
Agreed. Good album but very tame.

Listening to Shogun again. God damn it this entire album is absolutely brilliant. A top 5 album of all time for me. They just completely nailed it and it's a defining album of modern metal for me - it's got the melody, the groove, the heaviness and the technicality in perfect amounts. Incredible album.

I was listening to In Waves while I was out this morning and a question dawned on me; why didn't they put Insurrection on the God Of War 3 soundtrack instead of making Shattering The Skies Above? They're literally about the same thing, and Insurrection is actually more fitting for the game than STSA. It's nice we have another Trivium song, but I find that so strange.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #17655
EndTheRapture51
SK8R BOI

Shogun was 2008 right? God of War 3 was 2010 so we'd have 2 years without any Trivium so I think they just wanted to release a new song for the fans whilst In Waves was being written. Also first song without Travis.

But yeah. Ascend To The Heavens To Destroy is so Kratos

c u l8r boi
Old 10-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #17656
bdof

I heard they wrote and recorded most, if not all, of StSA in the same day.

These are the same guys that used to average 30-40 songs written prior to narrowing it down to decide what they wanted to record for an album. So that story never really surprised me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
when it comes down to it, i'm really inadequate
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #17657
EndTheRapture51
SK8R BOI

I wonder what all the scrapped songs are like. I don't think there's any bad Trivium songs. There's some less good ones, but there's no bad ones per say.

Finally getting into Vengeance Falls. The second half of the album is quality. Reminds me of Shogun a little.

c u l8r boi
Old 10-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #17658
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I was listening to In Waves while I was out this morning and a question dawned on me; why didn't they put Insurrection on the God Of War 3 soundtrack instead of making Shattering The Skies Above? They're literally about the same thing, and Insurrection is actually more fitting for the game than STSA. It's nice we have another Trivium song, but I find that so strange.

Because Shattering the Skies Above is better

PSN: esunax
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #17659
crazylaughboy
Jason Becker!

Hey all,

I'm looking to sell my White and Gold Dean Razorback. Pix here: http://imgur.com/a/Z4CY0 let me know / PM if interested!

Rate This Thread: