Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #4261
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Just snagged an SSL Alpha Channel preamp. :-)

Watch for shoot-out soon against the UA710 and the Daking MP1.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #4262
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Just snagged an SSL Alpha Channel preamp. :-)

Watch for shoot-out soon against the UA710 and the Daking MP1.

CT

Nice! Now you just need my SSL Alpha Link for converters and you're set!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #4263
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I'm quite happy with the conversion in the Steinberg. I found a shoot-out between the converters in it and some other "flagship" type converter - apogee or something like that - and the results were inconclusive.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #4264
reynbo1991

Hey peeps, I just got a scarlett studio pack and it's really cool but I am having trouble activating my CUBASE LE I have the code I put it in but it says I need an Elicencer USB, what is it and is it necessary to activate my Cubase??? Thanks
reynbo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #4265
nico_9550
UG Member

hey, a friend of mine bought a used m audio m-track and when he tries to use it where ever the gain knob is it's always clipping in the daw. What could be the issue? He says it doesn't have the clip light on on the interface, maybe it's a software thing idk
nico_9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:22 AM   #4266
the chemist
Resident Session Player

Sounds like an issue with the DAW. What's he using?
Old 01-10-2016, 02:50 AM   #4267
MellottMusic

@nico_9550 sounds like the DAW isn't registering the m-audio properly. Could you go into the m-audio input in your computer control panel and turn down (I remember I had to tinker with the gain on my PC to get it to behave)
www.mellott.com/mailing-list

Check out our song The Aftermath in The Hunger Games fan video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4vh1BiNQk
MellottMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #4268
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Hey guys, didn't think this was worth it's own thread but I am considering buying a cheap MIDI keyboard for composing in Pro Tools. Thing is, I know nothing about keyboards.

Any brands I should look at/avoid?

Budget here is around 40 but I would pay more for something better. Number of keys isn't really an issue as I would only be using it for noting things down in MIDI.

EDIT: Also, my interface has a MIDI input. I assume I can just plug the keyboard into this and set the input on Pro Tools?
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #4269
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

^ any of the low end M Audio lines will suffice... Axiom, Oxygen, Keystation. The Korg micro 25 works too. They will be supplied with a standard USB 2.0 that you can directly plug into your computer. No need to go through your interface. It's PnP.

============

Anyways, I'm getting back into production after a very long hiatus. Finally starting to internalize some of the concepts from The Recording Revolution, etc and see things much more clearly. Doing a mix right now and haven't felt this excited about making music in years!!

I recently decided to revamp my portfolio, which I've never been remotely happy with because the productions are just not up to par and it depresses me every time I reflect on them. I've decided to re-do past works and am almost done with the first of the bunch. After doing some initial things correctly in the mix, I couldn't believe how good it sounds... this is a giant leap in quality for me! This may finally be something that I can be proud of. Can't wait to post it on here

In conclusion, RR is amazing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 01-17-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #4270
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Thinking about it if anything I would actually prefer to go through the interface since I am kinda limited by USB inputs. I already have 3 in use, and the fourth is dodgy.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #4271
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

Do you use a compressor on the master bus? I like how it glue the tracks together but at the same time it kinda makes the instruments less ''defined'', like it blurs the attack and the transients.

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #4272
oneblackened
Futile Bread Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco18
Do you use a compressor on the master bus? I like how it glue the tracks together but at the same time it kinda makes the instruments less ''defined'', like it blurs the attack and the transients.

I do. GSSL, 30ms attack/auto release, up to about 4dB of GR.
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4

I'm a recording engineer. If you have questions or you want some work done, message me.
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #4273
MCmnbvgyuio

Hi everyone, not particularly sure where to post this and I don't think it warrants its own thread, but here you go.

I'm just wondering how to get a good sounding filtered drum sound, like the one heard in Deathbeds by Bring Me The Horizon.

I've played around with some reverb and HPF/LPF, but I can't seem to crack it without compromising too much top or bottom end.

So how would you go about this?
MCmnbvgyuio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #4274
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

I would say the kick sounds very much like an old drum machine sample, so it's probably got a lot of sub frequencies added in, and not much of the 'attack' a traditional kick drum sound has. Look for an '808' kick sound and then smooth off the attack with EQ?

Snare-wise, sounds like you're mostly hearing the reverb and not the actual snare hit itself... gives it that distant sound. I'd probably approach that by having the snare go straight through a convolution reverb, find a spacey sound like that with the wet control at 100%/dry at 0% and then experiment with EQing out the attack if needed, with an EQ placed before the reverb.

See what others suggest, though, it's not something I've really attempted before.

Rate This Thread: