Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
willop

Weird idea?

I've had zero success trying to play a 6 string - my fingers just dont' fit the strings/frets.

I can play a bass. Plenty of room on the neck.

My daughter has a ukelele and I can play that semi-successfully -just need some practice. I know / am learning the cords. I've seen rock songs played on a uke and saw a book in the store over the weekend -'metallica for the uke'.

SOOO...what if I turned a guitar into a uke? As in 4 strings tuned as a uke?

Thinking a bass with a moved bridge and guitar strings. Or a guitar but that would need new nut/bridge/pickups (to fit 4 strings).

So a couple of questions...
Pickups -are they specific to a string (thickness)? If you put guitar strings over a bass pickup do you get an acceptable sound?

Would it sound like a uke or a guitar? I"m thinking guitar, just an alternate tuning.
willop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Man good luck with that. And yes that is wierd.

Try taking some lessons for the 6 string or hell play some uke!
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Try finding a cheap junior size bass on ebay or similar. I think they're the same size as a normal guitar but would obviously be set up for 4 strings. I guess there's a potential truss rod issue, as the tension wouldn't be as much as it was made for.

You could also probably get some cheap guitar pickups to experiment with, although I don't know that they'd be the same size as the bass pickups you'd be removing so some woodwork may be required.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
willop

i've taken 6 string lessons three times in my life- my fingers do not fit, period. I cannot hold one string down, I get 2 or 3. It's hopeless.

Googling shows that guitar/ukes DO exist - yamaha makes an acoustic-ish version. The 'big' ukes are tuned as the top 4 strings on a guitar - seems each size uke is tuned differently. Odd.

Woodwork isn't a big deal. Spacing of the strings/pickup might be...perhaps find an acoustic bass...since many uke's (and classic guitars) run nylon strings maybe a classic guitar...some are cheap, even new. No pickup issues that way either. Hmm.
willop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
purplecashew

When I was starting out on uke & guitar, I had the same problem and was thinking of doing the same thing.
I played uke for a long while but got frustrated by the lack of tabs for my genres
Eventually just picked up the guitar and started playing uke stuff on it, turns out I just needed to get some co-ordination/strength in my hands for guitar

show
purplecashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
LeviMan_2001

Also, the placement of the bridge is directly related to the placement of the frets. You can't just move a bridge.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecashew
Eventually just picked up the guitar and started playing uke stuff on it, turns out I just needed to get some co-ordination/strength in my hands for guitar

totally this.....if you really want to play guitar (which i'm guessing you don't....because every bass play I know can play guitar to some level) just keep trying until you get it or else take up drums

Last edited by sytharnia1560 : 02-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
marjoriefish

The Presidents of the United States Of America play guitars and basses with some of the strings missing. Just remove two of the strings and tune the remaining four like a uke. Problem: Solved.
marjoriefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
RebuildIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriefish
The Presidents of the United States Of America play guitars and basses with some of the strings missing. Just remove two of the strings and tune the remaining four like a uke. Problem: Solved.

+1

You might want to hack some different slots in the nut to get the spacing a bit more regular. You might be able to do something similar with the bridge, depending on type of bridge.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
ohaple

Its about practice and technique on guitar. I doubt your hands are too small. If they truly are too small, get a 3/4 size guitar.
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: