Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
poisonousmetal

Etudes

Are there any rules for writing Etudes?
As far as I know they tend to be short pieces to develop a technique. I've learn some Chopin and Carcassi Etudes, but I'd like some for thrills, legato, and for when my friends ask for exercises for alternate, sweeping etcetera, so I guess I'll have to compose them. So, any tips?
poisonousmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousmetal
legato

like hammer-ons and pull offs specifically?

I could be wrong, but think just about everything goes as long as it makes you work on the technique you want to work on (the word literally means "study" in French - a study on one or more techniques). I mean, I was going to say it has to be musical, but that is a kind of subjective term (I find the one I posted above to be musical, but some might not agree). Also, I'm not sure it has to be in a recognizable key (I'm sure there are some really atonal etudes out there).

Maybe somebody more knowledgeable will elaborate.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
shreddymcshred

there are no rules. it should emphasize at least one technical problem
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
poisonousmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
like hammer-ons and pull offs specifically?

I mean, I was going to say it has to be musical, but that is a kind of subjective term (I find the one I posted above to be musical, but some might not agree). Also, I'm not sure it has to be in a recognizable key (I'm sure there are some really atonal etudes out there).

Mostly hammer ons and pull offs, with some slides.

I think so too, if not it would be just a waste of time. I've some in a specific key, but I can use note I'd want anyways.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
poisonousmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddymcshred
there are no rules. it should emphasize at least one technical problem

So my idea is basically good right? A sweeping etude, a legato etude and whatever imaginable.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

It tackles one technique with the intent to help the player develop it. "Musicality" is just making it so that it's not boring or a chore (like an exercise).

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
So my idea is basically good right? A sweeping etude, a legato etude and whatever imaginable.

I think so. You can have one that covers both too if you like. You can hear multiple techniques emphasized in many of Paganini's caprices (and in several of Brouwer's simple etudes too).
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
shreddymcshred

Quote:

Yes. There are no formal structures for etudes, although they are usually fairly short.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Hellharicot

Well normally, an étude is meant to help learner improve one specific part of their technique. Chopin's études are 'exercises' before they are pieces of art!

Just wondering, could we consider Malmsteen's Arpeggios from Hell like an étude of sweeping? ^^
For Alternate Picking, there's Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert. For tapping I guess Departed by As I Lay Dying is a good start. Then it could evolve to Fools Parade, by Nocturnal Rites.
Hellharicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
poisonousmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellharicot
Well normally, an étude is meant to help learner improve one specific part of their technique. Chopin's études are 'exercises' before they are pieces of art!

Just wondering, could we consider Malmsteen's Arpeggios from Hell like an étude of sweeping? ^^
For Alternate Picking, there's Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert. For tapping I guess Departed by As I Lay Dying is a good start. Then it could evolve to Fools Parade, by Nocturnal Rites.

I think we could, and another tapping etude could be Gilbert's Get Out Of My Yard without capo.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Are there any rules for writing Etudes?
As far as I know they tend to be short pieces to develop a technique. I've learn some Chopin and Carcassi Etudes, but I'd like some for thrills, legato, and for when my friends ask for exercises for alternate, sweeping etcetera, so I guess I'll have to compose them. So, any tips?

Apart from the fact that they're usually short, usually focused on one or two specific techniques, and usually quite difficult there are no rules except "write something that's worth learning because it's pleasant to listen to".
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Eliesor

it should emphasize at least one technical problem
Eliesor is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: