Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #1681
rohanR21

Thanks man for the awesome tips!
Although i did look out for bends and vibrato,got some pretty good guitarworld colums,and few of guthrie govan tutorials,man that guys good! One of my favorites!
And yeah man,i have started practicing with the metronome only recently,so i'm hoping i'll improve eventually!
And guys ,recently i have made for myself a 3 hour guitar workout session,invovling almost all the things i require,it even contains 10 minutes practice of each bends and vibrato.
But the question i had is, due to that i don't get much time to practice new songs or improv in general.
SO do you think i should divide the whole workout in 2 separate parts of 1.5 hour each for two different days and leave the rest of the time for songs,improv and ear training? is that a good idea?
rohanR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #1682
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanR21
Thanks man for the awesome tips!
Although i did look out for bends and vibrato,got some pretty good guitarworld colums,and few of guthrie govan tutorials,man that guys good! One of my favorites!
And yeah man,i have started practicing with the metronome only recently,so i'm hoping i'll improve eventually!
And guys ,recently i have made for myself a 3 hour guitar workout session,invovling almost all the things i require,it even contains 10 minutes practice of each bends and vibrato.
But the question i had is, due to that i don't get much time to practice new songs or improv in general.
SO do you think i should divide the whole workout in 2 separate parts of 1.5 hour each for two different days and leave the rest of the time for songs,improv and ear training? is that a good idea?

I've never been much of one for practice schedules but you should definitely make time for those things, they're all much more important than pure technique when it comes down to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1683
rohanR21

so what do you do on a daily basis? or to be precise what do you suggest me to do on a daily basis for improving my guitar and overall music skills?
rohanR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #1684
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanR21
so what do you do on a daily basis? or to be precise what do you suggest me to do on a daily basis for improving my guitar and overall music skills?

What I do doesn't matter. Not least because I don't have the time to practice like I used to: I have a full-time job now so I just can't fit in that much practice.

For you I would recommend that you spend as much time as possible working on actual music and using that as a platform upon which to build technique practice. I've been saying this for some time now but you should start and end everything you do with music so there's no reason not to start learning a song, lick or riff and if you can't do it then practice it with a metronome or whatever it is you need to do to get to the point of being able to play it.

There really is no reason to just practice exercises unless you have a reason to do so, I think this attitude is kind of a problem among guitarists; unless you have something to play there's not much reason in spending all this time learning a technique.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #1685
EsotericSurgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
What I do doesn't matter. Not least because I don't have the time to practice like I used to: I have a full-time job now so I just can't fit in that much practice.

For you I would recommend that you spend as much time as possible working on actual music and using that as a platform upon which to build technique practice. I've been saying this for some time now but you should start and end everything you do with music so there's no reason not to start learning a song, lick or riff and if you can't do it then practice it with a metronome or whatever it is you need to do to get to the point of being able to play it.

There really is no reason to just practice exercises unless you have a reason to do so, I think this attitude is kind of a problem among guitarists; unless you have something to play there's not much reason in spending all this time learning a technique.

Well it depends what you want to do with your guitar playing.

If you want to bum around and play guitar for 'fun' then go ahead and play songs during your 'practice' sessions and go nowhere.

If you're serious about guitar, or you want to be a musician; practice is to develop technique, and become a more proficient player and musician, NOT to practice songs.

Sure, there are always going to be songs that use a certain technique that most players wouldn't have practiced exclusively (sweep picking, trills, multi-finger tapping, etc.)
BUT there are always designated exercises designed to maximize potential gains for specific techniques (which are only a google search away) that help a lot more then practicing the music that technique is in.

As a teacher it frustrates me to see such advice being given.

In conclusion:

Practice training your ear, transcribing aural music into a visual format, interval recognition, etc.

Practice and enhance your theoretical knowledge.

Practice technique and application on your instrument (modes, scales, changing key)

Practice improvisation using all of the above.

Then feel free to jam or muck around.

But again, if you're only playing guitar for fun; ignore my post.
EsotericSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #1686
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericSurgery
If you want to bum around and play guitar for 'fun' then go ahead and play songs during your 'practice' sessions and go nowhere.

If you're serious about guitar, or you want to be a musician; practice is to develop technique, and become a more proficient player and musician, NOT to practice songs.

At no point did I say "just sit around and play songs until you're good", I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
spend as much time as possible working on actual music and using that as a platform upon which to build technique practice

If you need a translation in to simpler English that means:

Start with a song. If you have trouble with a part of it then break it down, find out why and practice it such that you solve the problem. This improves your technique, does it not? If you can't think of a musical reason to do this, whether that's a song you've heard or written, then why would you bother?

There are plenty of songs that you can use to learn any technique you might want and if you're intent on becoming a well rounded musician then you'll be seeking out the kind of music that contains all this anyway. Including improvisation and complex applications of any area of theory you care to mention. If you're not the kind of person who would find and want to learn these kinds of music anyway then forcing yourself in to routines with all this in them isn't going to help at all.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #1687
jamallax89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydrummer

there it is fresh off the camera

EDIT: ah damn!!! well it seems it got darker or something when i uploaded it. eh... maybe next time ill grab a flashlight.

Here a problem in this video. I can not see it.
jamallax89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #1688
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

I'm currently practicing the thumb-slap-thingy popularized by Tosin Abasi

Now, I'm having pretty satisfying results, although there are two things that are bugging me..

First of all, how do you mute the lower strings when thumping for example the G string? Using the thump-hand-palm seems obvious, but when you watch his demo around 3:50 you can see that his hand is completely floating above the lower strings. How is that even possible without having unwanted noise?

Another thing bugging me is that I tend to have a slight harmonic-ish sound when doing the upstroke on higher strings. Any way to fix this?
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #1689
FirasKordi

Hey guys , so I've corrected some of the mistakes in my picking and fretting hands and decided to post a more diverse video this time,I hope you criticize me fairly and honestly.
(please dont mind the audio quality , i filmed it from an Ipad and used Guitar rig plugged directly to my laptop,so it was bit of a mess).
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #1690
David Portelli

Quote:
I often get PM's asking if I'll analyse someone's technique through video or sometimes through audio, so I figure I can just do it here and then people can see through example what common flaws are and how they're corrected. Anyone who wants to offer analysis as well please join in!

Anyway, to make my life easier -
Record about half the sample through a clean tone, and half through a dirty tone.

Record yourself playing both slow and fast - many people practice one way and play another, try and show both how you play and how you practice.

It would be best if you can upload your vid to youtube rather than a temporary filehost - it would be great if people can look at the vids and see where the flaws are, and how to fix them, and then apply that to their own technique.

Finally, I claim the right to close this thread at any time if I get overwhelmed or bored.

Thanks for the support!

In fact I have noticed that i practice one way then play a little differently.

What do you believe is the real cause of this?

Thanks!

Dave
David Portelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #1691
Jake P

Hey everyone,

I've been wondering whether or not my timing is good. Here, I was playing 8th notes at 40 BPM. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ekv2DxYeFY
Jake P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #1692
XXX_28

Gold backing track The Loner wav
[forbidden link]
XXX_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #1693
nodara95

[watch]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9EmaGpiQM[/watch]
I'm learning Zakk wylde style and please watch my video here! please evaluate and subscibe! thnks

Last edited by nodara95 : 08-30-2013 at 09:43 AM.
nodara95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #1694
wisnumedan

How To Learn Picking ??
can somebody help me ??
Give The Link Or Something i Can see...
so i can learn Picking.

Sorry Im newbie...
Thanks be4
wisnumedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #1695
blaze.banjac

[forbidden link]
blaze.banjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #1696
moish33
Banned

cool bass players
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYLueXf-IHM&feature=youtu.be
moish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #1697
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moish33

Nope. *reported*

Quote:

Quote:

Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #1698
hairmetalguy

This is me playing. My poor technique has destroyed my hand, please tell me what I'm doing wrong!!

I haven't played in a month so that's why its bad.

hairmetalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #1699
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
This is me playing. My poor technique has destroyed my hand, please tell me what I'm doing wrong!!

You could shoot a video from a proper angle (so that your whole body is seen) to begin with. Also, you might want to show yourself playing to a click/metronome (a solo, or something like that), so that it's easier for us to judge your sense of rhythm and timing.

Rate This Thread: