Deermonic

Anyone?
Deermonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #22
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deermonic
Thanks for more stretching info, wishthekiller,
What I would like to know though is what is the 'classical'? position for standing. If I stand the neck is just going to tilt down, and very quickly.

There is no such a thing as classical position when standing up to my knowledge. Get a strap that is adjustable and try to adjust the height so that it feels comfortable. Good place to start is to set it in same height as it is when you are sitting, and fine tune the rest when you are standing. Let your fretting hand do the talking, if you feel like your wrist have to bend into unnatural feeling angles, most likely something is not right. To tell the truth this is something I am struggling myself, finding the optimal position when standing. I blame my beer stomach that gets in the way and pushes the guitar around.

BTW, if someone says "hurr durr your guitar is too high it doesnt look kewl", dont give a damn, its your wrists and hands that have to do the playing and not theirs.

*edit* Oh, and you mentioned the neck dives down. I dont know if its guitar balance issue or something to do with straps. Abbath manages to keep his guitar in very "classical angle" when standing up.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-29-2012 at 10:57 AM.
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
Deermonic

I have been to a few gigs and have observed how guitar is played. For Paradise Lost I watched the rhythm guitarist play his by swinging his arm into the air and down onto the guitar will rocking his whole body back and forth like he stabbing someone with a bayonet over and over. Yet he was able to hit the right notes every time.

Notice in the video you have put up that he is bending his knees slightly. Like he is not standing up straight completely always. The guitar V base is resting somewhat on his right thigh and he uses the guitar monitors a lot to stand on to get into a sort of classical position. I think his guitar is still neck heavy even with the strap. There is a bit of a tilt there being supported by his hand at times but I think my problem is that the polyester strap I am using is slipping a way too much. I will try to upgrade to a leather one to see if this helps... and maybe find a box I can stick my foot upon while standing up from time to time.

What about Amps for Black Metal? I know one day I will want to go a step better than the Peavey. I don't know what though. Was looking at those Kerry King related Marshall Amps.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
KailM

Quote:

Notice in the video you have put up that he is bending his knees slightly. Like he is not standing up straight completely always. The guitar V base is resting somewhat on his right thigh and he uses the guitar monitors a lot to stand on to get into a sort of classical position. I think his guitar is still neck heavy even with the strap. There is a bit of a tilt there being supported by his hand at times but I think my problem is that the polyester strap I am using is slipping a way too much. I will try to upgrade to a leather one to see if this helps... and maybe find a box I can stick my foot upon while standing up from time to time.

What about Amps for Black Metal? I know one day I will want to go a step better than the Peavey. I don't know what though. Was looking at those Kerry King related Marshall Amps.

I think it's a strap issue for you, I have no problem playing my V standing whether my foot is on top of something or not. If I let go of the neck completely, it definitely falls down, but I simply don't let go of the neck. You just need to control your instrument, man, not the other way around.

As far as amps go, it's really not that important. Just make sure it's a high gain amp. Most of the older black metal bands were not exactly going for a "pretty" tone, lol. I play black metal through a 6505+ because I like how BR00TAL it sounds, plus it does death metal and everything else. For a more vintage black metal sound though, you just crank the gain, dial the mids away and crank the treble. Just realize that it's a genre defined by the playing style, phrasing, chord voicing, and techniques rather than a specific tone. Chances are, if you're playing it right, it'll sound evil and grim even without much gain.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #25
2PtDescartes

Immortal is looking kinda chubby.

If your playing sucks just play shittier black metal. The worse the better I say.
2PtDescartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PtDescartes
Immortal is looking kinda chubby.

If your playing sucks just play shittier black metal. The worse the better I say.

Yeah, the rock&roll lifestyle is slowly taking its toll...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
For a more vintage black metal sound though, you just crank the gain, dial the mids away and crank the treble. Just realize that it's a genre defined by the playing style, phrasing, chord voicing, and techniques rather than a specific tone. Chances are, if you're playing it right, it'll sound evil and grim even without much gain.

Agreed. Amp is quite irrelevant. I can get some really mean black metal sound out of my Vox Pathfinder. Shittier the better! I just crank the treble and turn the bass completely off and there, typical BM sound.

But then again Immortal uses very Thrash/Punk like settings, very high treble, high bass and moderate to scooped mids, and it sounds black metal without question. As said above its the playing, not necessarily the amp and sounds.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Deermonic

Okay that makes sense because even with the Peavey 15W Vypyr I just go for the 6505, some slapback, scoop out the mids and either hit the gain on the Amp or with my Boss MD2 stomp box and it sounds like DarkThrone... well.. almost

Maybe an actual 6505/5150 might be a good idea for the future?

Anyhow yeah I agree. The amp isn't as big a deal. Got myself a stagg foot stool today. Hopefully I can get evil together a bit better now.

Last edited by Deermonic : 10-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
MaaZeus

Quote:
Okay that makes sense because even with the Peavey 15W Vypyr I just go for the 6505, some slapback, scoop out the mids and either hit the gain on the Amp or with my Boss MD2 stomp box and it sounds like DarkThrone... well.. almost

Maybe an actual 6505/5150 might be a good idea for the future?

Anyhow yeah I agree. The amp isn't as big a deal. Got myself a stagg foot stool today. Hopefully I can get evil together a bit better now.

Oh definetly. 6505 and 6505+ are metal machines, they can do it all. Even vintageish metal sound with boost pedal used on crunch channel I heard, though dont quote me on that. Its so popular that it may be even be a bit generic because pretty much every modern metal band and their moms have one/have used one, including (especially?) metalcore/deathcore bands.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-30-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #30
Deermonic

I also took off the polyester strap and replaced it with a leather one. The guitar head doesn't tilt anymore. Stays in the same place, tight at the 10 or 11 o'clock position.

I got some Dunlop Gator .96mm, 1.5mm and a Dunlop Sharp 1.35mm. They seem to be doing the job. Will try and find some 1.4 soon too.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
Deermonic

Where to strike?

I am noticing I am striking the pick sometimes on the bridge pick-up and sometimes even between the bridge and the bridge pick-up.

Should I be aiming for between the bridge pick-up and neck pick-up or does it matter?

When tremolo picking sometimes my little finger or lower fingers cup around the bridge, sometimes not, sometimes my whole lower arm is moving, sometimes just my wrist. This happens in combination with the above striking question.

Any tips would be welcome.

Oh yeah and one time I found myself going so fast I wasn't letting the pick go over each string much. More like hitting their insides. What's with that?

I have seen some YouTubes over the years on Tremolo but I would like some tips from here please and comments on the above.

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #32
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

More than anything, finger dexterity just comes with practice. I remember maybe a year or so after i first started playing (self taught here as well), i had real trouble playing this chord: x414xx. I could not, for the life of me, get my index and middle fingers to stretch that far apart. Now not only can i play that, i can also play x515xx with no problem at all. Time and patience my friend.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #33
Deermonic

Thanks Ace.

Can anyone help me with my spick striking question above Ace's post?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #34
Deermonic

I meant my Pick Striking method, not spick. That could get me into trouble.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
gorgthemeatpile
UG's pile of meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Oh definetly. 6505 and 6505+ are metal machines, they can do it all. Even vintageish metal sound with boost pedal used on crunch channel I heard, though dont quote me on that.

You can quote me on that, though. Slap an OD pedal in front of the crunch channel and you are good to go for a really good, generic, black metal sound.

Last edited by gorgthemeatpile : 11-03-2012 at 01:34 PM.
gorgthemeatpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #36
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Well generally speaking, if your forearm positioning is correct and you have the proper technique, you should be picking just in front of the bridge pickup. Obviously it'll move around depending on guitar and depending on where the pinch harmonics and stuff like that are, but for the most part you should have the pick about .5-1.0cm in front of the bridge pickup. Not between the pickup and the bridge, that just sounds ******ed.

edit: For tremolo picking, your arm and wrist should be completely loose and not all tensed up. The motion should come mostly from your forearm or wrist, and NOT from your fingers. A lot of people will tell you that anchoring your pinky like that is bad form, but plenty of the world's best players do it so dont worry too much about that. You shouldn't be applying a mad amount of pressure on each individual pick of a string, either. It should be nice and controlled, fluid, so that you can get the faster runs down. This video explains it pretty nicely, also keep a close eye on his forearm and wrist and how they move together:

Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Last edited by Acϵ♠ : 11-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: