Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
dkishishev

Smile Good midrange metal guitar

Hey guys, after around 2 years of almost no playing, I have decided to go back to playing guitar regularly. I mostly do it to play my favourite songs, but may look into joining/forming a band at my new school (abroad). Therefore, I am looking to upgrade from my old fender (strat squier i think), to a new intermediate level guitar, which i am planning to use for a long time.
I prefer playing mainly rock and metal, with most sub-genres included.
I spent a few hours researching, and have come to a few possible solutions:
Ibanez XG300 (glaive), appears to have nice active pickups, mahogany body and is aesthetically pleasing, and found it on amazon for just over $400.
Dean razorback (with floyd), found a good prices at $300-400, read quite a lot of favourable reviews. One thing that i noticed is that it has a basswood body and many people were saying negative things about the material, but as far as reviews went nobody mentioned anything negative about the construction.
I know I may be extremely biased towards the looks, but as i know relatively little about different types of guitars, these ones stand out. I know mick thomson (slipknot) uses a custom version of the ibanez, which makes it stand out. Anyway, a good visual style is always nice to have
Anyway, aside from comments saying "you need to go to a dealer and try them out", If possible in your posts just say "guitar x is better than y because ...., but you should also check out guitar z, which might suit you better."
Also please keep it under $500 or so.
Thanks in advance.
dkishishev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Browse a place like Musician's Friend or a site that caters more to your country. I'd avoid the Dean. Their low end stuff is sketchy. The Ibanez doesn't look bad but it looks hard to sit with. I wouldn't buy a guitar for looks now but I've done it before. Read a lot of reviews and really explore your options.

An Iron Label RG has EMG which might suit your options more. What amp are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
dkishishev

At the moment I'm not using a dedicated guitar amp, but moreover a large set of behringer speakers attached to a mixer (we used them for a restaurant). I don't think the models matter as I will use the guitar mainly in England where I'll be studying, and it's mostly for personal use. I could order the guitar there after the summer or similar, I am in no rush and there aren't many good guitar dealers close to where I live. It's also quite misleading because uk and us amazon have VERY different stock and prices. I will buy a good amp in England, it's too hard to carry overseas. I'll look on musiciansfriend.
One thing I noticed about the Ibanez glaive is that the strings go straight to the body, and there is no tremolo or floyd. Also, i found this http://www.thomann.de/nl/jackson_rrxmg_rhoads_sw_bp.htm from another thread on this site. It looks pretty nice, and i watched a vid about best metal guitars (said deans are overpriced, different types of frets, pickups, wood type and original floyds etc). I won't put all the links here. Anyway, I could afford this one or a similar one if i find it at a discount, i'm not too keen on buying second-hand.
The guitar you suggested seems pretty good, it has all the features, so I'll have to look out for good prices on it.
A bit of a long-winded response but oh well.
dkishishev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkishishev
Also, i found this http://www.thomann.de/nl/jackson_rrxmg_rhoads_sw_bp.htm from another thread on this site. It looks pretty nice, and i watched a vid about best metal guitars (said deans are overpriced, different types of frets, pickups, wood type and original floyds etc). I won't put all the links here. Anyway, I could afford this one or a similar one if i find it at a discount, i'm not too keen on buying second-hand.
The guitar you suggested seems pretty good, it has all the features, so I'll have to look out for good prices on it.
A bit of a long-winded response but oh well.

Jackson X series are good guitars for the money. This one also comes with Floyd Rose Special. Not exactly OFR but huge stepup from licensed tin-floyds that wear out and stop holding tune quite fast. Also dont let the Basswood bother you. Basswood is a good tone wood, just a bit soft so it dings easily. But being a V that is a kind of guitar you want to be careful with anyway, be it basswood or mahogany those wings chip VERY easily.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 07-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
MaaZeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
GraceByDeath

I'd recommend Schecter. They have some nice guitars in the midrange price. A new Damien Elite 6 string-thru from Guitar Center goes for $499. Mahogany body, maple neck, Abolone inlay, quilted maple top, Active EMG 81/85 combo, Grover tuners, and 24XJ frets. Great price. Very nice guitar. I love mine for metal. Surprisingly light, without feeling cheap. Comfortable weight.

Last edited by GraceByDeath : 07-15-2013 at 11:55 PM.
GraceByDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Typically, around my town in Texas, I see Ibanez, LTD, Shcecter, BC Rich, Jackson and, because of Dimebag, Dean guitars in the hands of rising metal bands. While I like Deans- I own 2- I wouldn't buy the one you're considering. They're more comperable to the competion when you clear the $550 barrier...especially in the quality of their trems.

A dark horse to consider is Godin's Redline series: those are aimed squarely at the metal market, with either hot HBs or EMGs, (depending on model), 24 frets, and so forth, and are generally well made. The Redline HB- a hardtail- typically retails for $499.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
dannyalcatraz

I own a Fernandes Ravelle Elite and I love it. A great hard rock/metal guitar, but out of your price range.

However, they have entry-level versions of almost all their guitars, designated with an "X" after the model name. I haven't played any, but they seem to get decent reviews. They are about $399 or so.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Tutis

If you are more modern metal/rock guy, then check Charvel DS - 2. Cheap and awesome.
Tutis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: