Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
fenderbassist12
with that fresh funk

Disco Party (groovy funk trio) C4C

Well my band finally got around to recording some go pro footage to show to people so we can get some shows.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4292590004248

One of our originals. No PA right now, but we have vocals. We're just trying to get started so lemme know what you think. And post a song you want me to listen to for you.
Hohner HW 220 Acoustic Guitar
Acoustic B200 combo
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver

Can I have JR. Western Bacon Chi. I'm trying to watch my figure. Junior.
fenderbassist12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
pinguinpanic

Writing as I listen.

Funky. Sounds all good and funky/niceish so far. The fill at 0:44 is a bit me-ish, definatly not worth giving up the flow for. The guitarist hits some wrong notes at 0:55. Probably improvisation so it's acceptable but if you go gigging you could look into making sure you don't hit such wrong notes because they weren't outside-ish but just play wrong in this context. At least for me and this is quite a subjective subject. Drummer is some times a bit "chunky" for example at 2:30, he isn't really grooving very hard, but keeping up a bit of a groove and then sometimes he kind of kills it with un-syncopated kind of groovebreaking silence/fill/hit. His transitions aren't always that tight too, for example at 3:22 he kind of messes up. After that the guitarist again hits some wrong notes.

Not much to say about the recording since it's just a camera but I must say the camera is doing a rather good job capturing the sound being a camera and all. I couldn't really hear the bass guitar well enough to comment much on it but from what I could hear he was doing a good job. Keeping the groove alive while adding some little embelishments that add to the song. Some of the parts were really nice and the guitar generally does a good job. Sounds rather lively while still keeping close to the progresion to really make it a song instead of doodling. The drummer was a bit "meh" tough. He's not bad but like okay while you ideally want a good to great drummer especially for this kind of music where the drummer really makes everything breath and groove. For example at 1:22 he kind of sounds "hesistant" and at 1:41 where he does the bell thing. I mean it's okay but just a bit late on the timing and sometimes he kind of looses the beat a bit, just general "little" things, but when they happen it kind of breaks the groove a bit. Like the groove-meter fills up and fills up and then something like 3:23 happens and the meter drops to zero and has to start again with filling and then 3:37 happens and it goes back to empty again before reaching a good level.

I skimmed through some of your other tracks but I think the drummer is doing a better job at other tracks. So perhaps he had an odd day or he just doesn't feel that track as much.
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
pinguinpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
fenderbassist12
with that fresh funk

Really appreciate the feedback. I understand what you're saying about the groove meter, can't be having that happen at a live show. I'll talk to him about that. The thing is with him, he's really good at keys, but he's the best drummer we've found. Anyway, we have our first show in about a month; looking forward to it.
Hohner HW 220 Acoustic Guitar
Acoustic B200 combo
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver

Can I have JR. Western Bacon Chi. I'm trying to watch my figure. Junior.
fenderbassist12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
mattmakaha

Writing as I listen.... Solid groove, and pretty tight. I don't like that fill in the beginning around the 40 second mark was a little distracting to me. Nice guitar solos. I like your tone, is the Fender amp you using a tube amp? Sounds good. I used to have a Twin Reverb, so I'm assuming yours is a tube amp too. Bass player is solid too. Love the contrast you guys have at the 2:25 mark.
Are you using the mic on the camcorder, if so that sounds pretty good.
I'd like to hear what your band sounds like with vocals!
Could you go to my thread and leave a comment there:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1584266

Last edited by mattmakaha : 02-27-2013 at 05:10 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: