Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
mr.retard
wumbology

writing songs about people

Do you ever feel guilty for writing a song about someone? I haven't been able to write a song about someone in about 3 years. There's been so many songs I could have written but I just felt too guilty. I feel like I'd be using them for personal gain.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
azrael4h

Not in the least.

Of course, I am not a paid professional, but still, I doubt I'd be bothered by it even then. If you look back through the basis of many popular songs, they came from writing about someone. Think of "Sweet Child o' Mine". The lyrics were a poem written by Axl Rose about some woman he was beating at the time.

I just finished a song about an alcoholic I know, even managed to sing it earlier (the cats attempted to rip out my throat for it though... my singing is not much better than Axl Rose's). Looking through even my new notebook, after ditching most of my older stuff (I have just enough for two or three songs total, plus some small snippets and concepts, but only maybe a half-dozen in mostly completed form now), 90% is about someone else. And one is about slime.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Suitemike

I feel the same way at times. When I got dumped by my girlfriend and hadn't heard from her in months I wrote songs about her, wondering about her, resenting her, all that typical broken heart bullshit, but about a month ago she contacted me and we are patching things up, and now I have 4 or 5 songs about her that if we got back together it'd feel strange to be performing those songs.
Suitemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Sinfinity000

I personally have never written a song that wasn't about someone else. For whatever reason, I can't seem to write songs unless I'm either depressed or pissed off. I don't feel guilty about it at all, it's my way of letting of stress related to other people.

Last edited by Sinfinity000 : 11-03-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Sinfinity000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
doubtfulsalmon

yes i feel guilty when i do it. sometimes i have awkward conversations with those people when/if they realise. i still do it anyway though.
doubtfulsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
Eccer
Serial Lurker

Keep doing it doubtfulsalmon, your last one was great ^^

I haven't felt guilty or anything, mostly because those times that person has meant alot to me, or I have been really pissed at that particular person. Doesn't happen that often though hah.
We're catching ships in the Rye
Eccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Leferia

alot of famous artists dont know how to write a hit song without making it about someone. like taylor swift for example. she'll always talk about her realationships and whatnot. and bands like korn will talk about their dad and how they were abused. hit songs usually come from someone who writes about something they strongly feel about. most people get their strong feelings from a relationship with someone, good or bad.
Leferia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

all of the songs I posted here are about someone. I don't regret anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
And one is about slime.

We need to hear/read this

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Jeremy.R5544998

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.******
Do you ever feel guilty for writing a song about someone? I haven't been able to write a song about someone in about 3 years. There's been so many songs I could have written but I just felt too guilty. I feel like I'd be using them for personal gain.

I have never felt guilty about it. I figure as long as you don't put their name, number or any info in the lyrics you are good to go. Especially if I was writing it to piss someone off I would be sure they know it's about them lol.
Jeremy.R5544998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: