Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Relearning the instrument. Any advice?

Syrup guys, Grey here (just found out I can't change my username )

After looking at my progress in the last 3 years, or lack there of, I've noticed that I only know very little about the guitar. So far, this is all I know beyond the basics:

>About a dozen and 1 songs (only can play the solo for one)
>7 major chords
>5 minor chords
>Power chords (doesn't count)
>The C7 chord
>The major scale shape
>4/4 time signature

Now anyone could tell that I am very VERY upset to say that all I've learned in the past 3 years can be counted on my hands, but I began working to remedy this. I've started studying this site known as essentialguitar.com (unsure if this will get me in trouble ) and I'm was doing everything in that guide up til both of my guitars lost a string heh.

So enough about my life, I just wanna know if there is any advice for someone like me (I'll be checking out the lessons soon)

>What should I learn first, scales or chords?
>Is essentialguitar.com useful?
>When should I start getting into learning new techniques?
>Should I incorporate guitar tech into my learning how to play, or do them separately?
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
sysD

learn intervals.

learn scales.

use intervals to stack 3rds from scale tones to make chords.

win.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_wearing
Syrup guys, Grey here (just found out I can't change my username )

After looking at my progress in the last 3 years, or lack there of, I've noticed that I only know very little about the guitar. So far, this is all I know beyond the basics:

>About a dozen and 1 songs (only can play the solo for one)
>7 major chords
>5 minor chords
>Power chords (doesn't count)
>The C7 chord
>The major scale shape
>4/4 time signature

Now anyone could tell that I am very VERY upset to say that all I've learned in the past 3 years can be counted on my hands, but I began working to remedy this. I've started studying this site known as essentialguitar.com (unsure if this will get me in trouble ) and I'm was doing everything in that guide up til both of my guitars lost a string heh.

So enough about my life, I just wanna know if there is any advice for someone like me (I'll be checking out the lessons soon)

>What should I learn first, scales or chords?
>Is essentialguitar.com useful?
>When should I start getting into learning new techniques?
>Should I incorporate guitar tech into my learning how to play, or do them separately?

You can try starting with basic music theory for your time signature thing. Once you understand how they work, 4/4 or 3/4 or 3/8 or 2/4 will all be the same. It's just the application of the same principles.

Learn about chord construction and harmonization of the major scale. That way you totally eliminate the reliance on the 12 chord shapes you know, and right at the beginning you'll be able to play all major and minor chords, possibly even with extensions. All you need is some time to figure out the notes on the fretboard. To that end, in my opinion, starting with scales first would probably make more sense.

I don't actually go around finding new techniques to learn, because then it'd just be an exercise and I have nothing to practice it with. I personally learn new techniques as and when I encounter a song I want to learn that incorporates it. Of course, you could want to learn new techniques and actively seek out songs that have them (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?t=1091788), but that's not me.

I don't understand your question about technique vs learning how to play. What is "learning how to play?"

I got pretty good mileage from following the Ultimate Guide to Guitar by ZeGuitarist when it came to music theory.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion

Last edited by triface : 06-29-2013 at 12:09 AM.
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
I don't understand your question about technique vs learning how to play. What is "learning how to play?

thanks for the info! By "tech" I meant technology (like guitar techs). I wanna know the guita well enough in that sense that I can understand at least some of what the luthiers are talking about. I was just wondering if I should learn that along with learning to play the guitar, or should I wait til later?
Old 06-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
freebeer1976

put up the doodads and practice. If you can't afford strings get a job. All the fancy shtuff on websites, in books, or on dvd is useless. I play 2 hours a day on workdays and 4+ on weekends ,at least half that time learning new material. Minor in theory and major in playing. Why does every one make it so hard by trying to take the shortcut?
freebeer1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
clarkemenson

Hey Grey,

So basically all I got to say is that I was in the same boat as you, I got a guitar one christmas and just kept learning power chords, and not well I might add, seeing as I didn't even now what the root note of that chord was.
When I started taking it seriously, I started to learn notation and scale degree numbers. Once you learn scale degree numbers, and learning the keys, everything will become so simple when it comes to learning more theory.
So I suggest that, or go get some lessons, or do a course in music at a TAFE (Australia) or Community College or the equivalent of that depending on where you are from.

Good luck dude.
~Clarkemenson~
clarkemenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_wearing
thanks for the info! By "tech" I meant technology (like guitar techs). I wanna know the guita well enough in that sense that I can understand at least some of what the luthiers are talking about. I was just wondering if I should learn that along with learning to play the guitar, or should I wait til later?

Oh

I don't know why my mind jumped to "technique".

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
put up the doodads and practice. If you can't afford strings get a job. All the fancy shtuff on websites, in books, or on dvd is useless. I play 2 hours a day on workdays and 4+ on weekends ,at least half that time learning new material. Minor in theory and major in playing. Why does every one make it so hard by trying to take the shortcut?

Sheesh guy if I could get a job I'd have one by now. I mean think about it, my brand of choice is D'adarrio and those aren't expensive. If I could go grab 10 bucks right now don't you think I would? I'm not trying to find shortcuts or anything, I'm just asking where would be a good place to start since I made the common rookie mistake of learning nothing but songs.

Since the strings are gone, though, I figured that I'd have to learn what I can without the instrument in my hands. This includes theory, singing, window shopping, planning customizations, etc etc. The whole reason I peaked an interest in tech was my dad found his old yamaha eg 112 with nothing good about it but a intact body and a straight neck, at least I'm doin something right?

Also, as much as I love music, I'm too busy tryna find a way to stay in college. But you don't need my life story. Although you did menton majors n such. My major is business, and my minor is music, so the theory thing could be used elsewhere...Don't friggin judge me
Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
So basically all I got to say is that I was in the same boat as you, I got a guitar one christmas and just kept learning power chords, and not well I might add, seeing as I didn't even now what the root note of that chord was.
When I started taking it seriously, I started to learn notation and scale degree numbers. Once you learn scale degree numbers, and learning the keys, everything will become so simple when it comes to learning more theory.
So I suggest that, or go get some lessons, or do a course in music at a TAFE (Australia) or Community College or the equivalent of that depending on where you are from.

thanks for the tip. As I said in the earlier comment, I recently changed my minor to music so maybe I'll progress a bit faster with that there. Also, this Crusade stuff is helping me out a lot. I've tried theory before but it was so complex to my untrained mind. This thing brings it to beginner's level :P http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/sear...usade&w=columns
Old 06-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by triface
Oh

I don't know why my mind jumped to "technique".

totally understandable haha. Well I'll figure it out soon enough I take it. Seems I have plenty of time il the jobs finally call back
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Geldin

Here's my advice: get a teacher. Shop around, ask other guitarists, ask at the music shop. Find the best teacher in your area that you can afford. Tell him where you are and where you want to be. If you're serious about re-learning, the best thing you can do is get a teacher so you don't make the same mistakes that you're trying to undo.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: