Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Perverockstar69

My LC15 gives good brit rock sound in small gigs, BTW, it's always good idea to mic your amp.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #22
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I can get a clean(enough) tone outta my Rebel 20 while keeping up with drums and it's loud as fudge in a small bar. We're always mic'ed in a bar anyways though

I've seen a band where both guitarists used frontman 212's and it worked out well. Though they had good songs and that makes a world of difference. Maybe give those a try if you can find them cheap enough.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #23
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Yeah, because they don't feel the same. Also, explain how it won't seem as powerful, you do understand how wattage works, don't you?
The wattage just is the rating of the max power before the power amp begins to clip, but that has nothing do do with what makes tubes sound louder. The method of both amplification and clipping causes our ears to perceive it as louder, which is why they slice through walls more.

Had to do a report on this crap earlier this year. I also have plenty experience of running a 100w tube amp into a 1x12 next to several 120w SS halfstacks. TS needs a tube amp.

The DSL honestly is your best bet. Plus you're in England so you should be able to get a Marshall for cheaper.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
austinblair

Those drums are gunna be loud as you know what in a pub... I can hear my drum kit from about half a mile down the road...
austinblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinblair
Those drums are gunna be loud as you know what in a pub... I can hear my drum kit from about half a mile down the road...

You must have very long arms.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
You must have very long arms.

Almost half a mile, eh?
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
austinblair

I'm not the only one in the house who bangs on them, lol
austinblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
I can get a clean(enough) tone outta my Rebel 20 while keeping up with drums and it's loud as fudge in a small bar. We're always mic'ed in a bar anyways though

I've seen a band where both guitarists used frontman 212's and it worked out well. Though they had good songs and that makes a world of difference. Maybe give those a try if you can find them cheap enough.

I don't know what it is, but my Vox AC15C1 is actually a match for my friend's frontman 212 when his clean volume and my master volume are matched. Now, my cleans have to be slightly hairy, but it matches.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #29
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

In most pubs I find that the most that you usually need to mike up is the kick drum. Once the pub fills up the kick drum gets lost. Just tossing an SM57 inside the kick drum usually suffices.

If you don't need pristine cleans a 20W tube amp will easily get over most drummers. But it's no big deal, you just mike up the amp (you should be doing that anyway really) and organise hand signals with the sound guy so he knows when you are about to turn down so he can turn you up in the foldback and FoH.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #30
nazgulas

If I get a good amp head, does it matter what amp cab I use? Because I am pretty handy with wood and electronics so I could easily make one cabinet myself. Do you think this would lower the price for the gear I am looking for?
nazgulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #31
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^ it matters what speakers you put in the cab, and it matters that you make the cab out of plywood. you can also make it open or closed back depending on your preferences.

Rate This Thread: