Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Bensm

Home Recording on a budget?

Hey guys new user here, I wanna know if someone can give me any ideas how I can record my music with reasonably good quality from my home "studio". Mainly whats limiting me is i can't really mic up my amp because the cab i run it through is old and makes sounds like diahorrea after mexican food. What im looking for is a gamechanger piece of kit on a tight budget, bear in mind though that getting equipment of any higher quality is a huge mission here in Africa.
Bensm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Cajundaddy

Start with a list of what you have available now and how much you can spend.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
MikeBmusic
Never enuf guitars

If you can't afford a good sounding guitar amp, then look at amp sims like Guitar Rig or PodFarm.

Hey Cajundaddy - 'GuitarMikeB' from bandmix here ...

2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epi 6830E
72 Fender Telecaster
Epi Dot Studio
Epi LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e uke
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic : 06-24-2014 at 02:55 PM.
MikeBmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Have you read the sticky threads?
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Victorgeiger

Hardware

PC: At least a dual core with 4 gigs of RAM better yet 8 gigs. You will want this for a decent number of simultaneous tracks and real-time effects, and all the Ram is for multiple vst instruments like drums machines, orchestras and synthesizers in a single project.

Guitar: Something with half decent pick-ups, they matter.

Audio interface: Check this sticky http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1541771

Mic: If you only have the budget for one mic only plan to use it in studio then a condenser is your best best. If you also want to use the mic for lives shows then at least try to get your hands on a Shure so you get good quality in the studio as well.

Software

You will need a DAW (Digital audio workstation), a Drum sampling vst (Unless you want to record your kit but without proper budget this will probably sound terrible) and you guitar effects vst like pod farm like MikeB said.

The software alone will cost you $400+ but this is the important bit. With a decent USB audio interface you can plug your guitar directly into your computer with almost 0 latency and add any effects you want with the software.

Check out some of the demo/trial products available online. A DAW like reaper is a good place to start http://www.reaper.fm/, I usually wouldn't condone getting your software via dodgy means but if you are on a really tight budget I think it is ok as long as your intend to buy it when you can or start selling your music, esspecially since, you know... you're in Africa lol

News, reviews, guitar lessons and

Last edited by Victorgeiger : 06-25-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Victorgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorgeiger
Hardware

PC: At least a quad core with 8 gigs of RAM better yet 16 gigs. You will want this for a decent number of simultaneous tracks and real-time effects, and all the Ram is for multiple vst instruments like drums machines, orchestras and synthesizers in a single project.

Guitar: Something with half decent pick-ups, they matter.

Audio interface: Check this sticky http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1541771

Mic: For studio use be sure to get a condenser mic, these do wonders for vocal recordings but please don't try and record your nasty amp with it, it won't help. (well maybe a little)

Software

You will need a DAW (Digital audio workstation), a Drum sampling vst (Unless you want to record your kit but without proper budget this will probably sound terrible) and you guitar effects vst like pod farm like MikeB said.

The software alone will cost you $400+ but this is the important bit. With a decent USB audio interface you can plug your guitar directly into your computer with almost 0 latency and add any effects you want with the right software.

Check out some of the demo/trial products available online. A DAW like reaper is a good place to start http://www.reaper.fm/, I usually wouldn't condone getting your software via dodgy means but if you are on a really tight budget I think it is ok as long as your intend to buy it when you can or start selling your music, esspecially since, you know... you're in Africa lol

1. No. You definitely don't need at least a quad core and 8-16 GB of RAM, that's absurd! As long as you're not using a ton of virtual instruments and planning to record more than 16 tracks at once, a good dual core with 4GB of RAM will do just fine. The hard drive is actually probably more a determining factor in this case - as you need a fast 7200RPM drive (or solid state) to write and read at the speed needed for larger track counts.

Certainly, more processing power and RAM helps, but there's plenty of people happily recording in their homes with half the specs you quoted.

2. Dynamic mics can work great for studio vocal recording (the Shure SM7b was used on the highest selling record of all time... Thriller), just the same as a condenser can work very well on a guitar amp (producers use the AKG C414 all the time on guitar and bass amps, as well as others like the Neumann U87, etc).

Just because it's a condenser doesn't mean it's going to be better for a vocal recording.

3. Reaper is $60, is just as full-featured as Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, etc., and has a trial-time that never expires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Victorgeiger

Thanks MatrixClaw, you are right I edited it. I he did say "reasonably good quality". Depending on what you are going for sometimes the free software just doesn't cut it. I know Reaper is great and I did recommend it in my post.

News, reviews, guitar lessons and

Victorgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: