Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
ESP Axes Man

Trying to narrow down which bass to buy. Help please?

So I've been playing guitar for a long time and I've been getting into recording a lot lately. I really enjoy writing and recording songs on my own but my problem right now is that I don't have a bass guitar. I'm going to be buying one in the next little bit and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go. My budget is about 350-400. I will mostly be using it for rock, funk and maybe a little bit of metal. I will be picking with my fingers and not a pick most of the time if that makes any difference. Unfortunately I know very little about bass guitars and what to look for. I assume a lot of guitar buying tips also apply to bass guitar but I really don't know. I'm open to pretty much any brand.
ESP Axes Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
chatterbox272

is this just for the bass? or bass and amp? if it's just for the bass that puts you in the range of Squier Classic Vibes and Vintage Modifieds (Both very good, comparable or better than MIM Fenders and much cheaper), Yamaha RBX270/374/375 (I own the 270 and 375 and I think they are amazing), and I'm sure there's a good Ibanez in that price range too but I'm not sure which model exactly, but I'm sure someone will tell you.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Sliide90027

As a Utility...
You can get by tonally with a Precision Bass copy and some good EQ.

It has been working for over 60 years and the alternate standard to the Jazz Bass Configuration.

As much as I play and the different styles, I really only use a little of my bridge pickup. I use more of the Neck Pup.

More modern Rock and Slap will send you into the direction of the Sting Ray configuration copies in the Ibanez ATK. (Slap is best on Bolt on Necks, they are more punchy, don't ask me why, I don't know.)

That should do nicely.

Beyond that, those three executuions of the Bass Guitar come down to the Left Hand, how the instrument feels to the noting hand.

When it just feels right, and the tone is there, you will really be loving it. Then you know you have found your Bass. Discover that, and then forget everything I have said.
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
ESP Axes Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
is this just for the bass? or bass and amp? if it's just for the bass that puts you in the range of Squier Classic Vibes and Vintage Modifieds (Both very good, comparable or better than MIM Fenders and much cheaper), Yamaha RBX270/374/375 (I own the 270 and 375 and I think they are amazing), and I'm sure there's a good Ibanez in that price range too but I'm not sure which model exactly, but I'm sure someone will tell you.

The 350-400 is just for the bass. I have a friends amp I can use.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:
... and I'm sure there's a good Ibanez in that price range too but I'm not sure which model exactly, but I'm sure someone will tell you.

A used Ibanez SR500 would be in that bracket or a brand new SR300 or SR400 (not an especially common model however). Otherwise an Ibanez ATK200 would be available. A used BTB series might also be available, but I'm not sure if they would be in your price range.

Enough Ibanez suggestions?

Last edited by Spanner93 : 11-22-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
A used Ibanez SR500 would be in that bracket or a brand new SR300 or SR400 (not an especially common model however). Otherwise an Ibanez ATK200 would be available. A used BTB series might also be available, but I'm not sure if they would be in your price range.

Enough Ibanez suggestions?

I figured you'd be around soon enough with much more Ibanez knowledge than me
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:
I figured you'd be around soon enough with much more Ibanez knowledge than me

True, and the ironic thing is, I don't even own an ibanez any more :P. Just a hagstrom and a peavey. Although I am GAS'ing for an old Ibby ergodyne.

OT: Look for peavey basses as well. The millennium and cirrus series are both pretty good.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
thorbor
UG's only Holo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliide90027
Beyond that, those three executuions of the Bass Guitar come down to the Left Hand, how the instrument feels to the noting hand.
not to start any argument here or anything, just wanted to note that I personally, as a guitarist who switched to bass, would put more emphasis on my right hand, concerning playability.

With guitars, as long as the bridge was nice and comfy for my palm (some bridges have bad screws in there) everything was fine and I focussed on my left hand while picking my guitars.

For bass however you have to make sure to be comfortable in every position, meaning a couple of different positions for plucking, one for muted playing and one for slapping. Also dont forget to try out playing with a pick as well, you can never know when it might come in handy.

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
thorbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
ESP Axes Man

Damn, I really got my heart set on that sr500. However guitars are one of the things that I always prefer to get new so how much do you think I could pick up a brand new one for?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

Peavey T40
Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Sliide90027

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbor
not to start any argument here or anything, just wanted to note that I personally, as a guitarist who switched to bass, would put more emphasis on my right hand, concerning playability.

With guitars, as long as the bridge was nice and comfy for my palm (some bridges have bad screws in there) everything was fine and I focussed on my left hand while picking my guitars.

For bass however you have to make sure to be comfortable in every position, meaning a couple of different positions for plucking, one for muted playing and one for slapping. Also dont forget to try out playing with a pick as well, you can never know when it might come in handy.

Repectfully Thorbor,

The Guitar you started on had how many hundreds of years of evolution to it before you became a user?

I have not studdied the evolution of Guitar necks aspects, but the Bass is a very different animal that shifts shape significantly, one has a study in evolution of three significant Basses to the recording industry from 1951 to 1975 all from one designer.

Not only does the Bass Guitar lack a definitive design as the Violin has Antonio Stratovarius, but unlike the Guitar which has hudreds of years to conform to the natural confines of the size of your hand (that fret spacing, and thusneck and string length was designed so you could make chords, and lots of them), the Bass is another physical world, and then some, on the left hand.

I started on the precursor to the instrument. It was by no means a guitar. It really cannot be the same as a guitar, nevertheless, designs such as Stienberger, Warwick, and even Leo's Stingray move away from the thinner aspect (I might erroneously recall of my 73 Precision) and the narrowness of the Jazz, and borrow more from the Double Bass Violin that they were to replace.

I do not like them. The BG is not supposed to be a deep U necked instrument by any means.

I therefore I personally owe a lot to the guitar side of the design, because ITS A GUITAR!

So, our differing opinion is probably dictated by our very different points of origin, and we have not even begun to explore string spacing.

I will say that it took some time being away from the instrument and a whole bunch of opinions developing from more Bass gods than Stanley, Jaco, and Entwistle to really reach me with the realization of the differeces in necks. (of course anything is thinner than a Double Bass Violin, so how could I judge?)

I was so thrilled to find 5 string production BG's with full Fender Spacing, I bought 2, then a 6, and then found a 6 fretless. It took 20 years for me.

I encourage all who love the Bass enough to be compelled to play it, to ignore the pretenses of labels and imag, and exercise curiosity.

Don't listen to me, or everyone, or believe what is marketed to you in regards to what is "correct".

Just play everything you can get our hands on to decide what feels right and inspires, more than anything. When you find INSPIRAION there will be no GAS and no indecision, you know what you need.

Inspiration is the soul of your craft.

Why waste years as I did?
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: