Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
skilly1

distorted low E string high up the neck

Hi
I have a fender strat 70's edition, when I play the low E high up the neck about fret 12 and above it sounds distorted, I lowered the pickups and this has helped a lot but I still hear it a bit. I've raised each adjustable bridge saddle enough too. I can't lower the pickups any more cause the screws are getting loose but they are flush with body anyway but the magnets are still sticking up which I can't adjust, also the bridge saddle's are raised as much as they can before they're not in their screws.
Im using .011 to .49 strings, which are the thickest strings I can fit into the grooves/holes of the tuners.
Is my guitar just meant to be set up for light strings
Any suggestions folks

skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Iommianity

It sounds like you're getting fret buzz, which has to do with the action, not the pickups.
Iommianity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
skilly1

It's not fret buzz
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
so when you play the guitar acoustically you hear the noise?

is the bridge lifted or balanced?

also, DO Not lower the pups any more. they will pop off the guard and you'll have to open the guitar to get them back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
skilly1

I just tried it with out the amp and it does buzz a bit, its not much really, is it normal and could the gauge of the strings I use add to it, I've kinda of thought this guitar was meant to stay how was originally with lighter strings but I wanted heavier ones. Can the pups fall off, I thought you could of just pooped them back in if that was the case, I won't do that however now that you've warned me!

Thanks!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilly1
I just tried it with out the amp and it does buzz a bit, its not much really, is it normal and could the gauge of the strings I use add to it, I've kinda of thought this guitar was meant to stay how was originally with lighter strings but I wanted heavier ones. Can the pups fall off, I thought you could of just pooped them back in if that was the case, I won't do that however now that you've warned me!

Thanks!!

on a strat the pickup screw raises and lowers the pup,
but if you lower too much, the pup pops off the bottom of the screw, and it's a pain to put back on.

if it rattles acoustically, then strum the guitar, and touch parts.

see if the guitar quiets when you touch the saddle for example.

Quote:
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
skilly1

Ok, I'll check it out tomorrow but I don't think anything's loose cause I have thought of that but I'll have a proper check, I think it is slightly touching the fret above the one fretted but im not sure, can't seem to see any light under it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:
Ok, I'll check it out tomorrow but I don't think anything's loose cause I have thought of that but I'll have a proper check, I think it is slightly touching the fret above the one fretted but im not sure, can't seem to see any light under it.

well make sure the trem is balanced.

and check the neck's relief.

follow the green link in my sig, look at the first post on
how to measure these things and post back.

let me know if the string is resting on the middle frets when held at the 1st and last fret.

Quote:

Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
skilly1

No there is a couple of mm space in between the fret at the middle when I held the frets
I should of mentioned im playing through a new orange micro amp and it's probably that it can't quite handle the low end because I tried my guitar on my main laney amp and it seems fine, not perfect but not far off
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:
No there is a couple of mm space in between the fret at the middle when I held the frets
I should of mentioned im playing through a new orange micro amp and it's probably that it can't quite handle the low end because I tried my guitar on my main laney amp and it seems fine, not perfect but not far off

your amps speaker might be having problems then.

try lowering the bass, ect...

Quote:

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
skilly1

Ok, thanks for your help, its a tiny practice amp, it only has volume tone and distortion
I guess now it's pretty obvious the amp having no real bass was the cause
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:
Ok, thanks for your help, its a tiny practice amp, it only has volume tone and distortion
I guess now it's pretty obvious the amp having no real bass was the cause

yeah, i mean it might not be an option here,
but i had an extra eminemce and replaced the speaker in my 10yr old fender 25r.
made it way more useful for clean practice use.

also, try lowering the tone knobs on your guitar.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: