Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #61
MediaMate1
Banned

Try getting into med school in the U.S., aka where it's much much harder to do than in New Zealand...

Last edited by MediaMate1 : 01-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.
MediaMate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #62
JayR_guitar
UG's only Jamaican

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishMoon
Yeah, the years get longer and longer as you go on. The first two are normal length, two semesters. After that, it just gets longer and longer until your last year which is basically full time work for a whole year.

And yeah, I'm very driven, I study a lot, except for part of last year where i had no Idea how I did so well because I got diagnosed with clinical depression and basically stopped studying. I have these holidays to try and kick depression and get me back into study mode. Drugs + Therapy have helped me so much! But yeah, hopefully in 6 weeks I'll be totally ready for it.

I think we might be doing the exact same programme, because that's just how mine is.

It's great that you try to sort out your depression so you can do well in school.

I do fairly well in school despite some limitations which include having a rare, very painful and incurable illnes. The reason I'm able to keep up may be because i really want to be a doctor. Im pretty sure that if i didn't have the motivation, I would have dropped out ages ago.

Med school in Jamaica is difficult in terms of the clinical years. Our hospitals tend to be less up to date so we end up having to think of makeshift ways to do things that persons in other countries wouldn't. So you may have an advantage when it comes to that kind of thing. Our class size is rather large and teaching resources are quite limited so that is a real pain in the ass. To be honest, i wouldn't want to go to med school anywhere else though.
JayR_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #63
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I'll be applying next year after I graduate. Been and EMT and army Medic for the last 6 years. Suppose I'll go put some big boy pants on and get a real license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
Don't care. I'm not discussing this. Either you post by my rules or you don't post at all.

Last edited by JustRooster : 01-09-2013 at 12:55 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #64
Philip_pepper
UG's Kanye West

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
Love you too Philip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #65
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishMoon
Yes, a few, but med school doesn't start for a little while though.

hah! Thats funney
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #66
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

Congratulations! It'll be tough for sure, but also fun and rewarding if you're passionate about it

I was impulsive and indecisive when choosing what to study (still am, actually - I really don't know what I want to do, just something that helps the world I guess) and I regret not applying to med school. I may try applying again after I graduate though; I'm doing a biology degree atm

RIP ;c
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #67
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
Congratulations! It'll be tough for sure, but also fun and rewarding if you're passionate about it

I was impulsive and indecisive when choosing what to study (still am, actually - I really don't know what I want to do, just something that helps the world I guess) and I regret not applying to med school. I may try applying again after I graduate though; I'm doing a biology degree atm

As a biologist, do you still have to do the entire medschool or do you get some classes free? Also do you like it that much that you want to go through 5 years of extra study?

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #68
guitarxo
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
As a biologist, do you still have to do the entire medschool or do you get some classes free? Also do you like it that much that you want to go through 5 years of extra study?

Nope, still gotta do the whole thing. undergrad medical school is 5 years and postgrad is 4 years, so I'd be doing the 4 year program.

as I said though, I'm very indecisive and I have absolutely no idea what I want to study after I graduate because I want to study EVERYTHING. my latest goal is to start working and do an MBA via a correspondence course, before that I wanted to do something relating to history, before that I wanted to be a housewife, before that I wanted to study toxicology, etc. so I am quite fickle-minded. Hence my hesitation in preparing for medical school

RIP ;c
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #69
theogonia777
Professional Musician

Good for you.

You should be a beak doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Riffs
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote