User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

So, I'm looking for a bass...

After playing guitar for about 5 years, I'm finally getting myself a bass

So far I've looked at Epiphone, Yamaha, Ibanez, Cort, and Squier (with caution, thanks to my guitar instincts). My budget is €300 max. I'd love to learn slap bass, and the bass would see a lot of general use, due to playing with mates. Personally, I like the sound and look of the Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV, but I'm uncertain about its other features. I'd rather buy a new bass.

I know well that the sound mainly comes from the amp, and I've been looking at a few at around €200. I'd prefer a combo, and I've been looking at the Laney RB2. I heard it's loud enough for band practice.

Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Spanner93

The RB2 is a little underpowered, 30W isn't really enough for anything more than bedroom practice. If you insist on a new amp, maybe something like this would work for you, it's 100W: http://www.thomann.de/gb/kustom_kxb100.htm

Regarding the bass, the Epiphone Toby is damn nice, slightly off topic: I want one. Anyway, other models to look at are the Ibanez SR300, Ibanez ATK200, Yamaha RBX374, Squier VM Jag (seems to get good reviews, I don't get the appeal), ESP B104 and the Jackson JSV3.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
The RB2 is a little underpowered, 30W isn't really enough for anything more than bedroom practice. If you insist on a new amp, maybe something like this would work for you, it's 100W: http://www.thomann.de/gb/kustom_kxb100.htm

Regarding the bass, the Epiphone Toby is damn nice, slightly off topic: I want one. Anyway, other models to look at are the Ibanez SR300, Ibanez ATK200, Yamaha RBX374, Squier VM Jag (seems to get good reviews, I don't get the appeal), ESP B104 and the Jackson JSV3.

I was just checking out that amp, it's heavier than my DT25 that I use for guitar though, so I don't know if I'd be able to bring it around...I'll consider it though, thanks for all the suggestions
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoM50810
I was just checking out that amp, it's heavier than my DT25 that I use for guitar though, so I don't know if I'd be able to bring it around...I'll consider it though, thanks for all the suggestions

Well, the only ligth, yet powerful enough combos you may find for low cash (still, not that low) are the Gallien Krueger MB series. They sound good, and most of them will cut it in a band situation. You really have to get at least 100W through a 1X15 cab to be heard in a rock based band. Don't know if that's your case, though. And "the amp is where the sound comes out the most" really isn't like that in the bass world. You have amps that color your sound a lot, and amps that are quite clean, so that isn't always true. And also, in the bass world, you can identify, say, a precision bass through any amp, so the bass is (for me) equally to more important soundwise than the amp.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
Well, the only ligth, yet powerful enough combos you may find for low cash (still, not that low) are the Gallien Krueger MB series. They sound good, and most of them will cut it in a band situation. You really have to get at least 100W through a 1X15 cab to be heard in a rock based band. Don't know if that's your case, though. And "the amp is where the sound comes out the most" really isn't like that in the bass world. You have amps that color your sound a lot, and amps that are quite clean, so that isn't always true. And also, in the bass world, you can identify, say, a precision bass through any amp, so the bass is (for me) equally to more important soundwise than the amp.

Thanks for the advice, I had no idea that they weren't as important as a guitar amp when it comes to tone, and cheers for the suggestion, I'll stick with the DT25 until I can save up for a decent amp, I know there's a 1x15 setting on it

Now, I've been doing more research, and I found Mikey Way's signature Squier Mustang Bass...I've been checking out demos, but none of them seem to play funk/slap bass on it, has anyone tried one of these before who would know if they suit these styles? I know it's a much smaller scale and has less frets, but I'm not really that tall, and I play a short-scale Mustang guitar normally
Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
moody git
I bad writing

squier basses are a damn sight better than their guitar counterparts. the VM series is often regarded on a level with the MIM fenders.
i'm a bit of a yamaha fanboy and would strongly recommend the rbx 374/5. i have the 375 and it fits everything i need it to and slaps very nicely.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
squier basses are a damn sight better than their guitar counterparts. the VM series is often regarded on a level with the MIM fenders.
i'm a bit of a yamaha fanboy and would strongly recommend the rbx 374/5. i have the 375 and it fits everything i need it to and slaps very nicely.

Good to know, the demos I've seen appear to suggest that cheers for the suggestion

Rate This Thread: