Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
DeanoM50810
Getting there...
 
DeanoM50810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
So, I'm looking for a bass...

After playing guitar for about 5 years, I'm finally getting myself a bass

So far I've looked at Epiphone, Yamaha, Ibanez, Cort, and Squier (with caution, thanks to my guitar instincts). My budget is €300 max. I'd love to learn slap bass, and the bass would see a lot of general use, due to playing with mates. Personally, I like the sound and look of the Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV, but I'm uncertain about its other features. I'd rather buy a new bass.

I know well that the sound mainly comes from the amp, and I've been looking at a few at around €200. I'd prefer a combo, and I've been looking at the Laney RB2. I heard it's loud enough for band practice.

Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance
__________________
Check out my covers/original songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/DeanoM50810
DeanoM50810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Spanner93
Registered User
 
Spanner93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
The RB2 is a little underpowered, 30W isn't really enough for anything more than bedroom practice. If you insist on a new amp, maybe something like this would work for you, it's 100W: http://www.thomann.de/gb/kustom_kxb100.htm

Regarding the bass, the Epiphone Toby is damn nice, slightly off topic: I want one. Anyway, other models to look at are the Ibanez SR300, Ibanez ATK200, Yamaha RBX374, Squier VM Jag (seems to get good reviews, I don't get the appeal), ESP B104 and the Jackson JSV3.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
DeanoM50810
Getting there...
 
DeanoM50810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
The RB2 is a little underpowered, 30W isn't really enough for anything more than bedroom practice. If you insist on a new amp, maybe something like this would work for you, it's 100W: http://www.thomann.de/gb/kustom_kxb100.htm

Regarding the bass, the Epiphone Toby is damn nice, slightly off topic: I want one. Anyway, other models to look at are the Ibanez SR300, Ibanez ATK200, Yamaha RBX374, Squier VM Jag (seems to get good reviews, I don't get the appeal), ESP B104 and the Jackson JSV3.

I was just checking out that amp, it's heavier than my DT25 that I use for guitar though, so I don't know if I'd be able to bring it around...I'll consider it though, thanks for all the suggestions
__________________
Check out my covers/original songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/DeanoM50810
DeanoM50810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
 
Sudaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ARGENTINA, papá!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoM50810
I was just checking out that amp, it's heavier than my DT25 that I use for guitar though, so I don't know if I'd be able to bring it around...I'll consider it though, thanks for all the suggestions

Well, the only ligth, yet powerful enough combos you may find for low cash (still, not that low) are the Gallien Krueger MB series. They sound good, and most of them will cut it in a band situation. You really have to get at least 100W through a 1X15 cab to be heard in a rock based band. Don't know if that's your case, though. And "the amp is where the sound comes out the most" really isn't like that in the bass world. You have amps that color your sound a lot, and amps that are quite clean, so that isn't always true. And also, in the bass world, you can identify, say, a precision bass through any amp, so the bass is (for me) equally to more important soundwise than the amp.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.



Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
DeanoM50810
Getting there...
 
DeanoM50810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
Well, the only ligth, yet powerful enough combos you may find for low cash (still, not that low) are the Gallien Krueger MB series. They sound good, and most of them will cut it in a band situation. You really have to get at least 100W through a 1X15 cab to be heard in a rock based band. Don't know if that's your case, though. And "the amp is where the sound comes out the most" really isn't like that in the bass world. You have amps that color your sound a lot, and amps that are quite clean, so that isn't always true. And also, in the bass world, you can identify, say, a precision bass through any amp, so the bass is (for me) equally to more important soundwise than the amp.

Thanks for the advice, I had no idea that they weren't as important as a guitar amp when it comes to tone, and cheers for the suggestion, I'll stick with the DT25 until I can save up for a decent amp, I know there's a 1x15 setting on it

Now, I've been doing more research, and I found Mikey Way's signature Squier Mustang Bass...I've been checking out demos, but none of them seem to play funk/slap bass on it, has anyone tried one of these before who would know if they suit these styles? I know it's a much smaller scale and has less frets, but I'm not really that tall, and I play a short-scale Mustang guitar normally
__________________
Check out my covers/original songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/DeanoM50810
DeanoM50810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
moody git
I bad writing
 
moody git's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London; UK
squier basses are a damn sight better than their guitar counterparts. the VM series is often regarded on a level with the MIM fenders.
i'm a bit of a yamaha fanboy and would strongly recommend the rbx 374/5. i have the 375 and it fits everything i need it to and slaps very nicely.
__________________
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
moody git is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
DeanoM50810
Getting there...
 
DeanoM50810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
squier basses are a damn sight better than their guitar counterparts. the VM series is often regarded on a level with the MIM fenders.
i'm a bit of a yamaha fanboy and would strongly recommend the rbx 374/5. i have the 375 and it fits everything i need it to and slaps very nicely.

Good to know, the demos I've seen appear to suggest that cheers for the suggestion
__________________
Check out my covers/original songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/DeanoM50810
DeanoM50810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.