Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Leon72

What should I do about my band?

I started this folk metal band about last year with me as rhythm guitarist and backup vocals and a friend of mine(bassist) from school, he brought me the other members and I became very close with them...the problem is not about learning songs or practice sessions, it's about everything...like, my drummer is a douche because when we're trying to write originals he wrote the drum parts which is fine but also writing shitty guitar and bass riffs(thinking it's his band) and telling me to learn them. The vocalist can't sing anything heavy and if he does he gets a headache and complains...my friend the bassist literally can't play anything and I spent 3 days trying to teach him one song(for whom the bell tolls) and he still didn't learn it. My lead guitarist is ok but his technique is horrible and his solos are half done. I think I'm getting nowhere with these guys, should I quit my band?

Ps. I'm the band leader and I hate the drummer's ego very much!!!
Leon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
TNA

If literally nobody in your band is meeting your expectations, then yes you should quit.
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Leon72

I'd love to quit...the only other problem is that there's nobody else in the country that is willing to play my type of music
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Let's be honest here, is the genre of the band "folk metal" or "nothing with a touch of crappy Metallica covers"?

My point is that the only person who says it's folk metal is you, and you don't have any songs. Next band write the songs first, decide on a genre later.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

My rule of thumb is that if the thought 'Should I leave this band' enters my mind, then it's time to leave that band. I understand how it feels to be in a city where noone plays music you like (I love Symphonic/Power Metal and in my city, it's all about Thrash and Death/core), but wouldn't you rather get out there performing in a band that's not your ideal band than get frustrated as a bunch of amateurs meander through a Metallica song?

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Sandwich8080

I'd quit. If I was in a band that didn't have a single song down in a year, I wouldn't consider myself in a band.

Also, as an aside question, is YOUR metal really all that different from the rest of the metal scene? I don't claim to know the sub-genres of metal, and I've never even heard of folk metal, but if it were me I wouldn't be too upset if I had to play in a band that sounded similar to my desired music but wasn't exactly it.

Also, when I hear folk metal, I picture banjos and mandolins in drop tuning
Sandwich8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Leon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwich8080
I'd quit. If I was in a band that didn't have a single song down in a year, I wouldn't consider myself in a band.

Also, as an aside question, is YOUR metal really all that different from the rest of the metal scene? I don't claim to know the sub-genres of metal, and I've never even heard of folk metal, but if it were me I wouldn't be too upset if I had to play in a band that sounded similar to my desired music but wasn't exactly it.

Also, when I hear folk metal, I picture banjos and mandolins in drop tuning

My metal is different...not even one band in my country is close to this sub-genre...and folk metal is just metal riffs with folk melodies depending on the country of origin, for example Finland folk metal use Finnish instruments to make melodies.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^^ So basically you either need a Bahranian folk instrument in a normal metal band or you need a normal metal band and you write traditional Bahranian melodies.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
TNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon72
My metal is different...not even one band in my country is close to this sub-genre...and folk metal is just metal riffs with folk melodies depending on the country of origin, for example Finland folk metal use Finnish instruments to make melodies.

I hate to say this but if your attitude is that not one person in the country plays your style of music, then maybe you are the problem. If nobody can play that style then why would you expect your current band to?

Not trying to sound mean but from what you have said about nobody playing that style of music, your options seem to be either stay with your current band, or play a different style of music.
TNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
Sandwich8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon72

Then what I would do is leave these guys and then start paying a new group of guys to be your backing band. That way they can sound exactly how you want them too. It's not a bad move if you've got the cash. It gives you creative control of everything and if somebody isn't giving their all you can just fire them.

Even if you don't want to hire a backing band, you should leave these guys. 90% of these questions can be answered with "Are you happy? If not, then leave."

As another aside, I did some snooping on your profile and saw you are from Bahrain. Do you have any links to Bahraini folk metal? I'm intrigued as to what that sounds like.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
As another aside, I did some snooping on your profile and saw you are from Bahrain. Do you have any links to Bahraini folk metal? I'm intrigued as to what that sounds like.

Like this but with distorted guitars.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #12
innertom
Registered Sex Offender

fire your drummer
innertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

Move to a country that only has folk metal bands. I must say I am impressed that you know every musician in your country though. Those are some dope networking skills!

Honestly though a disfunctional band is worse than no band at all. With no band you can spend time getting the right members and writing your music. In a dysfunctional band you are pretty much just wasting time.
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
Sandwich8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Like this but with distorted guitars.

If that's the case, if you do find the right guys and get something recorded, you should send me a link to it. I just can't seem to place this with metal music and I'm curious to see how they would mesh.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

Quote:
If that's the case, if you do find the right guys and get something recorded, you should send me a link to it. I just can't seem to place this with metal music and I'm curious to see how they would mesh.

I dont know how to post links but if you're interested in folk metal look up Moonsorrow, Kivenkantaja is a fantastic album.
SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Sandwich8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintVitus
I dont know how to post links but if you're interested in folk metal look up Moonsorrow, Kivenkantaja is a fantastic album.

Now I'm getting off topic, but are there any bands that sound like that with clean vocals? I like the instrumentation, but the scream/growls set me off every time.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb

Quote:
Now I'm getting off topic, but are there any bands that sound like that with clean vocals? I like the instrumentation, but the scream/growls set me off every time.

I think there is a folk metal thread in the metal forum, your best bet would be to ask there.
SaintVitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
nirvana_n_roses

i dont know if its late or not

but excuse me how do you call a (balochi) dance and instrument a bahraini folk

you just deprecated my country(bahrain) and yours(balochistan)

this is a bahrini folk instrument its called AOUD -عود بحريني-

nirvana_n_roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

Ok lets sum it up

*drummer=sucks
*bass player=sucks
*guitarist=sucks
*singer=sucks
*you= awesome

...do you see the issue???

just quit the band and stop frikin whinging, you´ll be doing everyone, including yourself, a huge favour It´s probably better off since they´re all terrible musicians and your probably just annoying (seen from their point of view) and lets face it if it´s all that bad, your music will be and your genre is destined to forever be unheard!!

p.s. good luck at ever finding a drummer you can get along with.

Rate This Thread: