Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #9901
ali.guitarkid7
Awessum Pawesome
 
ali.guitarkid7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
poo-tee-tweet, motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielee739402
Assume I should on shit I be?
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #9902
ElMaco
I learn it from a book
 
ElMaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Yeas I've drank a couple of beers but I think stuff's right!
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/47jKMcK.gif
ElMaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #9903
ali.guitarkid7
Awessum Pawesome
 
ali.guitarkid7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Alright, back again with something I don't understand.

Quote:
Tickets for a show cost 3 dollars or 5 dollars. If 50 tickets were sold for a total of 230 dollars, how many tickets were sold for 3 dollars?


1. Now the explanation is (x = num. of tickets)

3x + 5(50 - x) = 230

2. I get that. Simple enough. Now this is where they lost me:

3x + 250 - 5x = 230

I get that they may have multiplied the cost of 5 dollar tickets by the total amount sold, but why? What does this actually represent? If you had to explain this through English, what would you say? And why subtract 5x from it?

3. This ends up being

2x = 20

and I get why this happens from the preceding line. It's just 5x - 3x = 250 - 230. What I don't understand, however, is what happens in step two. I understand that they're multiplying cost of tix * total sold, I just don't get what that means in logical terms.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
poo-tee-tweet, motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielee739402
Assume I should on shit I be?
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #9904
sickman411
 
sickman411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brussels, Belgium
From the moment you've got the equation, you don't have to think in terms of "real world logic" anymore, all the real world logic has been incorporated into the equation.

They're using the distributive property of multiplication.

a*(b+c) = a*b + a*c

To be able to add things together in equations, you usually need to "break down" everything that's inside brackets. So that happened because
5(50 - x) = 5*50 + 5*(-x) = 250 - 5x

and now you can solve the rest of the equation.
__________________
my soundcloud
sickman411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #9905
ali.guitarkid7
Awessum Pawesome
 
ali.guitarkid7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Ah alright, yeah that sorta makes sense. I really have to start thinking in those terms come Saturday. Thanks, once again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
poo-tee-tweet, motherfucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielee739402
Assume I should on shit I be?
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #9906
CL/\SH
UG Knob
 
CL/\SH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Alright, I don't expect to get an answer on this before tomorrow, if ever, but I've got a fucked up problem here.

Consider the cap of thickness h that has been sliced from a sphere of radius r. Verify that the volume of the cap is pi(h^2)((3r-h)/3) using the washer method, the shell method, and the general slicing method.

I can figure out how to do this with washer method (which doesn't seem at all different from the slicing method in this case?), but the shell method just comes out to a bunch of gibberish.

Lower limit: r-h
Upper limit: r

Integrand: 2(pi)(y)(squareroot(r^2-y^2) dy

After doing a u substitution I eventually get

pi((2/3)(2rh-h^2)^3/2-0)

Expanding the 3/2 exponent just gets me a bunch of fucking nonsense. It doesn't simplify out to be pi(h^2)((3r-h)/3). Chances are I'm just setting it up all wrong.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
CL/\SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #9907
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my own way
Quick question:



Would I count the 27 values in the "25.5 up to 27" box or the "27 to 28.5" box?
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/OEdlt6s.png
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #9908
mattedbird
i've never heard of that
 
mattedbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: anywhere is fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
Quick question:



Would I count the 27 values in the "25.5 up to 27" box or the "27 to 28.5" box?

I read that as up to 27 but not including 27.....I would say the 27-28.5 box
mattedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #9909
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: my own way
That was correct, good lookin out
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/OEdlt6s.png
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #9910
mattedbird
i've never heard of that
 
mattedbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: anywhere is fine
glad to help...but yeah they could make it a little clearer

Last edited by mattedbird : 02-07-2016 at 09:21 PM.
mattedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Forum Archives / About / TOS / Advertise with us / Customer Support / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2016
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.