Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
ScotlandScott

Need some TIPS for singing. Help?

So it's been a while since I had an hour just to sing. I used it to record a little bit to try and improve. What can I do to get better? I think I go off sometimes. I have a decent ear when playing instruments (I play all my instruments by ear) but when singing I can't tell if I'm a out by a microtone sometimes.

I don't think I've warmed up ever because I just assume that if I sing a song that also counts as warming up... I could be wrong :P

I'm not great, but I would like to be. I want to be able to sing in public or infront of people. I have songs written that have never been performed :/

YouTUBE video of my singing... compilation

Maybe I'm not supposed to sing as high as I want to haha

Songs:
1. Free bird
2. Hey there delilah (only song sung al the way through)
3. Fast car
4. Wonderwall
5. Don't look Back in Anger
6. A team
7. Polly (played differently than usual for fun)
8. A song that I hear on the radio all the time!! Stupid ear worms...

Please any feedback would be awesome
ScotlandScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
20Tigers

Hey There Delilah is by The Plain White Ts
Fast Car - Loud sounds better than quiet.

Sounded all right to me. Warming up does help. Even if you don't get a chance to practice everyday just going through a daily vocal warm up will help.

It's not "knock your socks off" singing but it's not going to make ears bleed either.

You could sing in public (provided you know your words). You just need more confidence - if you make a mistake and grimace in uncertainty you are telling everyone you messed up. Make the same mistake and look confident people think it was a blue note - (i.e. on purpose) - if they notice at all.

If you have heard Radiohead's Creep have a listen to the acoustic version on their EP Itch. He is all over the place and it's really not great singing but the conviction with which he sings gets him through. You can bet he sang like this live on more than one occasion.

I've also heard some really old live versions of Guns'N'Roses and same thing - Axl is off vocally, the guitars are super muddy but the confidence with which they perform is enough to convince the audience that it is the way it is meant to be.

Bob Dylan is another who owns his mistakes. At 20, in the studio for the first time the experienced recording engineers in the booth are telling him to "stop" and "lets do that one again we'll take it from the top". Dylan gets fed up and tells them to stop ****ing around in there he wants to get this stuff down. He has the confidence to know, "this is how it is supposed to sound, those things you engineers are hearing and thinking are mistakes are just part of the performance so roll the damned tape and capture what I'm throwing down!!"
Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
ScotlandScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Hey There Delilah is by The Plain White Ts
Fast Car - Loud sounds better than quiet.

Sounded all right to me. Warming up does help. Even if you don't get a chance to practice everyday just going through a daily vocal warm up will help.

It's not "knock your socks off" singing but it's not going to make ears bleed either.

You could sing in public (provided you know your words). You just need more confidence - if you make a mistake and grimace in uncertainty you are telling everyone you messed up. Make the same mistake and look confident people think it was a blue note - (i.e. on purpose) - if they notice at all.

If you have heard Radiohead's Creep have a listen to the acoustic version on their EP Itch. He is all over the place and it's really not great singing but the conviction with which he sings gets him through. You can bet he sang like this live on more than one occasion.

I've also heard some really old live versions of Guns'N'Roses and same thing - Axl is off vocally, the guitars are super muddy but the confidence with which they perform is enough to convince the audience that it is the way it is meant to be.

Bob Dylan is another who owns his mistakes. At 20, in the studio for the first time the experienced recording engineers in the booth are telling him to "stop" and "lets do that one again we'll take it from the top". Dylan gets fed up and tells them to stop ****ing around in there he wants to get this stuff down. He has the confidence to know, "this is how it is supposed to sound, those things you engineers are hearing and thinking are mistakes are just part of the performance so roll the damned tape and capture what I'm throwing down!!"

Wow, thank you for the inspiring stories about the other greats. Makes me feel a bit better about all the wrong note I sang haha

I intend to get a vocal teacher soon, but from your view - how do I get from an under-average singer up to "knock your socks off" level? Where can I find out how to do these warm ups and stuff? I don't know much about singing apart from 'remember to sing from the diahphram' :/ Is there an official technique to singng?

Thank you Tiger, you're a great person
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
20Tigers

I'm still learning myself so not really experienced enough to say exactly what would help you.

There are a heap of vocal warmups on youtube. Personally I like the ones from Eric Arceneaux but there are a few others - just youtube search vocal warmups and find a routine you like and make sure you do it daily.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
ScotlandScott

Well thank you anyway Tiger You've been really helpful!

Rate This Thread: